AR-15 Triggers

Diver43Diver43 Senior MemberPosts: 8,536 Senior Member
What type of AR trigger do you prefer?

Reason I ask is that I used to have a DPMS 2 Stage Trigger in my gun. I thought it was pretty good, real good compared to the ones I used in issued M-16s while in uniform.

For some reason the 1st stage of my trigger became very gritty feeling and no amount of cleaning or buffing helped, the 2nd stage still broke clean, but the gritty feeling just ruined my "feel good" feeling about the gun.

I opted to install a new Single stage trigger that breaks right about 3.5 - 4 lbs. I know to some of you guys that I USED to call trigger snobs that is still considered heavy, but for my use of the AR it is a happy medium.

Do you prefer single or double stage and at what weight do you prefer your AR trigger to break?
Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Replies

• JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,825 Senior Member
    Single 3 lb.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,672 Senior Member
    For target work, my lower with the PRS stock has a 3# Timney single stage, the rest of my lowers have RRA NM 2 stage triggers and most of them break in the 4-4.5# range

edited because I forgot its exact rated weight
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,323 Senior Member
    For the money, it's hard to beat the RRA NM 2 stage for a general use gun. It's no target trigger, but it'll do most of what I need it to do. For a basic setup, I've gone to using the RRA 2 stage with KNS pins.
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,590 Senior Member
    I like the RRA NM trigger a lot as well, although on one of my AR's I've just got the stock milspec trigger with the Wolff trigger function pak springs installed. Definitely not a match trigger, but for $7 it's a pretty big upgrade. Trigger breaks at about 5.5lbs which is pretty good for a fighting rifle with a red dot on it.

http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=2&mID=1&dID=79#977
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,102 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    What type of AR trigger do you prefer?

Reason I ask is that I used to have a DPMS 2 Stage Trigger in my gun. I thought it was pretty good, real good compared to the ones I used in issued M-16s while in uniform.

For some reason the 1st stage of my trigger became very gritty feeling and no amount of cleaning or buffing helped, the 2nd stage still broke clean, but the gritty feeling just ruined my "feel good" feeling about the gun.

I opted to install a new Single stage trigger that breaks right about 3.5 - 4 lbs. I know to some of you guys that I USED to call trigger snobs that is still considered heavy, but for my use of the AR it is a happy medium.

Do you prefer single or double stage and at what weight do you prefer your AR trigger to break?

Geissele SSA or SSA-E. End of story.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • LerchessLerchess Senior Member Posts: 550 Senior Member
    Another vote for Geissele. They have different offerings, but the SSA-E will do the best for most.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    It's the cheap son of a female dog in me that keeps me from spending $250 on a trigger for an AR 15. I'd drop $100 to have a safe 3.5 lb trigger, but not much more.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I have three RRA NM triggers installed and one in the drawer for my next lower. I like them a lot, every AR has the same trigger. I like that.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    I like the Chip McCormick (CMC) trigger units; I've had several and still have a 3.5# unit in my current lower. Crisp with no overtravel that I can feel, and about half the price of the similar Wilson unit.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Geissele SSA-E. End of story.

My favorite trigger by far, best 2stage trigger on the market!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,536 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    It's the cheap son of a female dog in me that keeps me from spending $250 on a trigger for an AR 15. I'd drop $100 to have a safe 3.5 lb trigger, but not much more.

D

Next Ft Lauderdale gun show check out In Guns We Trust. He is out of Ft Myers, he can hook you up with springs or a new trigger depending on what you need.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,226 Senior Member
    I went with the Geissele Hi-Speed National Match - Match Rifle trigger.

Perfect for a hunting or bench setup:

1st Stage Weight: 1.5lbs. - 2.5lbs.
    2nd Stage Weight: 0.3lbs. - 0.9lbs.
    Total Pull Weight: 1.8lbs. - 3.4lbs.

http://geissele.com/hi-speed-national-match-match-rifle-trigger.html
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.