Home Main Category General Firearms

Drop confirmations out to 1440 yards today

Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior MemberPosts: 7,502 Senior Member
Finally did drop confirmations beyond 1K today with the rear-grip 7mm LRM.
Only picture I took of steel was at 500 yards which was of a 3-shot group using my trusty bi-pod and small field bag.
Just under 1.5"
When I was shooting at 1440 yards the conditions were switchy, so nothing real tight, but about an hour later I shot at 1350 yards and had two not quite on top of one but the splashes were overlapping and then with a double at the very center.
I wish I could do the tight shots I did at 1350 yards at will:silly::jester:
All in all a good day and now all of my brass has been once fired and annealed. Want to get a calm time for one more drop confirmation before WTRC.
Dan also did drop confirmation out to 500 yards with the AR-Pistol (223 Remmy)

53386B86-58CC-48B8-A31C-44E673F7D22F_zps09j8oblz.jpg
F81C493B-EE9B-46FB-A637-89EC9FABD2C7_zps9i3coew6.jpg
Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,051 Senior Member
    That'll work.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,481 Senior Member
    That is some great shooting! Nicely done.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    You are doing exactly what I've always wanted to do! If I were a younger man...about your age :tooth: I would get into it somehow! Linefinder is good at this too....wish I had the chance :wink:
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I envy your range. Lots.

This.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,936 Senior Member
    Living in South Florida, I have a hard time even imagining shooting that far. You Sir have my utmost respect.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Living in South Florida, I have a hard time even imagining shooting that far. You Sir have my utmost respect.
    You have an OCEAN!!! The longest range available! Float some targets.

:-)
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    I guess that's some pretty good shooting, but you missed the orange sticker. Just saying.

:jester:
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,936 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    You have an OCEAN!!! The longest range available! Float some targets.

:-)

Too bad Wambli moved North. Just think of the targets we could mount on top of his boats T-Top while it is anchored over 3/4 of a mile from the beach.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Too bad Wambli moved North. Just think of the targets we could mount on top of his boats T-Top while it is anchored over 3/4 of a mile from the beach.

Heck, he could have towed a backer for moving target practice!!
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    Great shooting with an amazing rifle. I'll be heading out to Peacemaker soon to wring out a few toys myself.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,502 Senior Member
    16EC6898-2353-42DC-9C93-1CDE248B31CA_zpsq7oe9tef.jpg
    65870E4B-3AFB-40FF-9248-42F46B2FD5E1_zpsbkxxeqna.jpg
    8CD07423-1E14-4F7C-BE4A-D96249B3495B_zpsaaniw8th.jpg
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • NJSOGNJSOG Member Posts: 101 Member
    Nice target results at long range, but here is my question. What makes this round so accurate ? Is it because the bullet is longer in 7mm or because of the down range velocity or a combination of both. I get very good long range shots on paper using a 300WSM with 165 gr Barnes TSX bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Accuracy is really a systems approach.
    Brux 8T barrel. A reamer designed by Darrell Holland, action work by him as well, Holland Radial Baffle brake, Jewell trigger, skim bedded McRee chassis. BR dies, the 180 Hybrids have a BC of .674, and it was throated close to far as it would go and still work in a long action. The Kahles 624i is simply the best scope I have ever used to date. Even better than the S&B's, and they are light for what they are compared to other scopes in it class. Then you have the chump on the trigger.
    Huge in LR shooting and in ELR shooting is conditions, conditions, conditions and the ability of the shooter/spotter to read them.
    That being said, even on my best wind reading days in nasty conditions, I can never shoot tight groups at 1K or beyond compared to what I can do in good conditions.
    But when conditions hold and get nice you can get some stupid good groups if everything else is in play like it should be.
    Plus there are just some days that it is your day to look good (And the opposite is true as well:tooth:).
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    I am truly blessed to have access to a permanent steel range that goes to just over 2000 yards.
    I envy your range. Lots.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    Damn couple hours to anything over 300 for me. At least I can do 100 in my back yard.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
    Many don't even have access that far, and only 5 minutes-Good for you. Plus, just make the targets smaller like 3, 4, and 5 inches if you want more challenge.
    2000 yards. I hate you. I can stretch 400 at my buddies place, if we move the hay bales and trim the woods. Other wise 350 is tops for me. BUT, I feel blessed to have that range 5 minutes from home. :up:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Also the glass and the reticle was so clear that just for giggles, I turned it down to 8x and just used the reticle for drop (didn't dial)-still made hits at 1440 yards.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Well make your way out here and you can play at distance with some of my set-ups.
    You are doing exactly what I've always wanted to do! If I were a younger man...about your age :tooth: I would get into it somehow! Linefinder is good at this too....wish I had the chance :wink:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    I put the paster dot (Assumed it was one inch--actually .81) on afterwards, for referencing the size of the group.
    Did this since I didn't have calipers or a tape measure with me.
    USUFB wrote: »
    I guess that's some pretty good shooting, but you missed the orange sticker. Just saying.

:jester:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,052 Senior Member

Come to Colorado and I'll make sure you'll get your chance.

Being proficient at LR shooting is more a matter of opportunity than skill. Growing up in Louisiana, someone that could consistently connect on a 300 yard shot was the Daniel Boone of those parts. Here, that's barely breaking point-blank. The difference? In Louisiana it was hard to even have the opportunity for a 300 yard shot. Here.....you pray for them.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,150 Senior Member
    Great shooting, Ernie! Do you have a link to tour preferred annealing procedures?
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 610 Senior Member
    Good shooting. Couple quick questions do you have a rifle in 7lrm or just the sp? I am liking that round on paper and owning both a 375 and 416 Ruger I have about 750 pieces of brass so I'm partially there.
    Here is my set-up...More details later.
    43490142-6676-4C39-A711-A9E9C7D9F2D4_zpstx30yca6.jpg
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Great shooting, Ernie! Do you have a link to tour preferred annealing procedures?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Johnny reb wrote: »
    Good shooting. Couple quick questions do you have a rifle in 7lrm or just the sp? I am liking that round on paper and owning both a 375 and 416 Ruger I have about 750 pieces of brass so I'm partially there.

Just in a SP.
    It will run about 75 fps slower than a 7mm Dakota
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,052 Senior Member
    Here is my set-up...More details later.
    43490142-6676-4C39-A711-A9E9C7D9F2D4_zpstx30yca6.jpg

That looks very similar to a contraption that ScooterTrash built a few years back. It worked very well. I think I have the build drawings on my computer at work. Since I'm now the worlds oldest toolmaker apprentice, I may have to revisit those drawings.:tooth:

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull