Good Deal??

hawk18hawk18 Senior MemberPosts: 730 Senior Member
A local guy wants to sell me his Grandfather's/Father's Winchester '94. It's a turn-of-the-century manufacture (170,XXX) serial number with a 26", octogon barrel chambered in .25-35. There is NO finish left on the metal with a little surface rust, no pitting. The stocks are as expected for a 100+ year old hunting gun. There is a little crack where the buttstock bolts onto the receiver and another little crack at the toe. Neither are very bad and will not weaken the stock. The action is very tight, for a Winchester. The gun has been used, not abused. The bore is dark and I couldn't see much. It has been standing in a closet for many, many years. There is no history with the gun, I don't know the family and the present owner doesn't know anything except names, no dates.

How serious should I look at this?

Hawk

Replies

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,728 Senior Member
    Depends on if you want it... I'd buy it if he price was right. A 25-35 I would take a serious run at it if it were me.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,486 Senior Member
    If you buy it, and want to keep as a valued collectible, do not touch the metal finish. Maybe a little oil, but nothing else. Otherwise, you'll lose a lot of the gun's value.

Sounds like a great find.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,741 Senior Member
    How serious should I look at this?

No pitting is a very good thing.....The Bore ?

If the price was right I'd be posting pictures by now
  • hawk18hawk18 Senior Member Posts: 730 Senior Member
    What do you think is the right price? He's asking $900 and all I find on the net are asking higher, but, with no bids. For me, with no history, this would be a 10% shooter, 90% wall hanger.

Hawk
    That seems like a pretty good price to me, even for a wall hanger. I'd be tempted to shoot it, though, providing I could find or load some ammo.
    Jerry

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,071 Senior Member
    Depends on the bore, to me at least. It's a "luxury gun" and while it's collectible, it's not THAT ($900) collectible and not likely to gain a lot of value. If the bore was good and shiny it might be worth that IF you reload and can find (or make) brass. But other than that, the value is mainly as a wall-hanger. Or maybe a CAS player.

I looked today at a .32 S&W long five screw very 95%, old style grips. The price was right, but as I told the LGS, it's a luxury gun and I can't afford the much luxury at this time.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,492 Senior Member
    FYI, S.N. 170xxx was made in 1899-1900

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    The stock is cracked for a reason that needs to be looked at; something caused it to crack and likely, that cause is still there. Easy enough to fix.

Got a buddy who collects all sorts of guns. He's got four (I believe) Model 94s with double set triggers! Now there's a collectible. He can afford it.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,685 Senior Member
    The Hodgdon reloading site lists several loads for the 25-35, from 60 to 117 grain bullets. If you can buy or fabricate brass I say go for it...........Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
    jaywapti wrote: »
    FYI, S.N. 170xxx was made in 1899-1900

JAY

Too bad it's not a couple of years older. Anything made before 1898 is considered an antique and an FFL is not needed for a transfer.
    Jerry

There's one on Gunbroker for $1200.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Too bad it's not a couple of years older. Anything made before 1898 is considered an antique and an FFL is not needed for a transfer.

It may be C&R eligible.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,837 Senior Member
    I would go for it....the chambering would be the reason...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"