Know what I hate most about reloading?

13»

Replies

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    You are of course correct, the same care that is used with pharmaceutical products or medications, critical chemical compounds, these high standards can apply to powder dispensing and or compounding or blending of proprietary powders.....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,273 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    I can tell you what NYC was like, it was not so bad, you only needed a powder / ammunition room, with fairly simple specifications, FDNY being in charge of making sure fairly simple safety rules in place and being followed, pay a $50 fee, get a certificate, and your GTG....... The fire inspector was always professional and courteous.

Really? I have absolutely no idea how people live in places like that.....HOWEVER....I'm glad they live there and not here....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,950 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Really? I have absolutely no idea why people live in places like that.....HOWEVER....I'm glad they live there and not here....

fify
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,964 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Here is some 1000 grain containers instead of 7000 grain pound cans.I think you will pay more per oz and end up with a lot less for about 2X the cost..............I'm guessing.

Approved to distribute, I haven't seen any on the shelves like this yet.

pr
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2014/04/dot-approves-new-1000-grain-2-3-oz-powder-containers/

I like the idea for working up loads, but I don't like what I believe is their reason for selling it like this. And they so much admitted it, almost. They say because due to a powder shortage they don't have enough powder to go around. So if they sell in smaller quantities there's more powder available to us? I don't buy that. I think it's because they can jack the price up on the smaller container.

If you have a market that exceeds your production capacity, you expand your production facility and make more product, you don't limit what you sell. They know what they're doing but they're full of crap as to why they do it.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    cpj wrote: »
    What jay hawker said.
    Screw NY and their dumbass laws.

You could say that, however those shooting enthusiasts were some of the nicest people I have ever met, and we had a blast, barbecues etc... But let's not write off all those people.... Laws or not, shooting folks should stick together.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    orchidman wrote: »
    I like the way this place is set up. Because I only 'dabble' in reloading compared with some of the members, it doesn't stop me reading every thread in every section..........and by having reloading threads in General firearms, I cant help but soak up knowledge, even though most of it will never be used. Same goes for the Personal Defense section.

It aint broke, so why does it need fixing.................?

On the OP's question/topic.................Over here I can buy a '20' pack of projectiles for load workup so that I don't end up with surplus projectiles if a particular load doesn't work out................I would love the powder companies to do the same thing with their product.......

Supplementary question: Can you make fireworks from gunpowder.................Just wondering?

I think black powder makes safer fireworks. You have to contain smokless powder to make it go boom. And when you put it in something strong enough to contain it, then you make a BOMB! Nope, a paper wrapper will contain black powder enough to make it go boom and the paper doesn't make shrapnel.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Not only safer, black powder has all the qualities needed for fireworks.

For pure noise, you can't beat a battery of Carbide cannon!!!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,233 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    I think black powder makes safer fireworks. You have to contain smokless powder to make it go boom. And when you put it in something strong enough to contain it, then you make a BOMB! Nope, a paper wrapper will contain black powder enough to make it go boom and the paper doesn't make shrapnel.

Well,Snake, having practical experience making SAFE and LOUD firecrackers with smokeless powder, I can say that you are way off here.

I suppose when it dries out here a bit, I'll have to fire up the rotary tumbler and make some big boomers out of some old Red Dot and Bullseye powder I have in the cabinet; old powder as in around 40 years old. I also have a few 1 lb. cannisters of IMR 4064 of indeterminate age, but of close to the same vintage. It needs to dry out a bit because some operations are best done outdoors away from buildings, and crushing/reducing smokeless powder is one of them, and for black powder, doing that in the next county is more safer. :roll2:
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,338 Senior Member
    Why would have 40 yr old powder? Couldn't you find some reason to use after say 20?
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,132 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    Why would have 40 yr old powder? Couldn't you find some reason to use after say 20?
    :that: :uhm:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,233 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »

My Dad bought a crapload of certain powders back in the late '60s with IMR 4064 being the largest quantity bought. At that time both he and I were shooting a lot of ..30-06 with surplus brass, surplus FMJ bullets, and using the IMR 4064 for that purpose in milsurp rifles. We also did a lot of quail hunting, so there were a few 5 lb. canisters of Red Dot for reloading shotshells, with a few 1 lb. canisters of Blue Dot, Green Dot, Hercules, and Unique.

After I got out of the Navy and eventually got a job in nuclear power, I had a lot less time to spend reloading, and most of my reloading was for shotgun as I shot a crapload of skeet and trap back then just to blow off steam and unwind. I was living an hours drive away and had my own reloading stuff.

My Dad didn't reload much at that time because quail hunting was beyond difficult, and the deer population hadn't exploded like it did in the late '80s. Most deer hunting he did was with shotgun and slugs at Ft. Campbell, so those were store bought.

So he set the powder back in a cool dry place, and it has sat there since he died in '93. I just bought what I needed when I needed it since then.

And that's the short version of why there's a crapload of old smokeless upstairs.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,810 Senior Member
    I'm going to say empty BRASS, I hate it, I have to turn it into something.

The old a picture is worth a thousand words.
    well actually the picture sucks........but it is enough loaded 38 and 357 HBWC and way too much empty brass
    I have enough of these already loaded ,for as often as I shoot them, to last my life.

But still keep pressing on......

90469697-4ddf-44c9-abe3-e5b4f7f7100d_zpsf4x5xozf.jpg
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Really? I have absolutely no idea how people live in places like that.....HOWEVER....I'm glad they live there and not here....

Gee, that is a comment about the people, not just the laws, and you agreed or approved it.

Gun people should stick together.
    I wish the Anti Gun people would all move to one State with all the criminals too.
    Gee, that is a comment about the people, not just the laws, and you agreed or approved it.

Gun people should stick together.
    I wish the Anti Gun people would all move to one State with all the criminals too.

No...that was not a comment about the people...it was an interrogative about how people could live there....as to the rest of it, I live in a sparsely populated place by choice....if everybody came here it wouldn't be sparsely populated anymore...so I'm glad they are where they are....
    Dunno, not everybody can move, not everybody in NYC is Anti Gun or gay...

I think I am trying to be more objective nowadays and not lump everybody good and bad, just and unjust together, it just is not right.

California is pretty bad too, yet how many of our members live there, and likely find moving difficult for whatever reason.
    cpj wrote: »
    Fair enough. I stand by it. I have no idea why in the hell someone would want to live in an S-hole like NY.

That's easy, they don't know any better. Or rather it's all they know.
    Dunno, not everybody can move, not everybody in NYC is Anti Gun or gay...

I think I am trying to be more objective nowadays and not lump everybody good and bad, just and unjust together, it just is not right.

California is pretty bad too, yet how many of our members live there, and likely find moving difficult for whatever reason.

You're right Doc, I don't particularly love hot muggy weather, so why do I continue to put up with it? Because you get tied to a place by family and friends, various organizations. It's hard to just pack up and sever ties like that.
    But also, like I said, most of them don't really know any better. They're used to it so why change?
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Welcome to my world. I still want to buy some 4381 for my .30-06 and 200gr Nosler AccuBond, but $32 just to see if I can eek out 100 fps more over my 4350 load seems dumb. Especially because 4381 isn't terribly "useful" in any other caliber I have.

But my biggest peeve with reloading...case prep.

That's my pet 30-06 load. I use a 200 grain Game King bullet over 56-56.5 grains IMR 4831. This gives me about 2650 FPS out of my 24 inch barrel. I worked that load up starting at 54 grains as that was near the bottom in my Speer book. I never saw any signs of excessive pressure, I just stopped because it was doing what I wanted and appeared to be very safe, so why push my luck. I said between 56 and 56.5, but I don't load them up that hot anymore. I stop at 56 now. I find I gain very little at 56.5 grains.
    Back on the original subject, What I used to hate most about reloading was dumping powder. I shoot mostly long barrel rifles and most powders I use are long extruded grains. They generally make great loads but they have a tendency to bridge in a powder measure when you dump it into the case, that and they don't meter too well. So you end up trickling a lot to even up loads. This can be tedious and I didn't like that part of reloading at all. I say didn't as pastence. Now I have an RCBS Charge Master, which relieves that pain.

I still don't really love anything that repetitive. But I do love the results of hand loading. The improved accuracy and performance make it all worthwhile.
    That's easy, they don't know any better. Or rather it's all they know.

THIS!...I've got an acquaintance in New York City who has never been out of the city in his life...He thinks the insanity that passes for law in NYC is normal....
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,513 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Powder.

Every time I want to load up a couple of rounds for a gun, NONE of the powders I have on hand are listed for that caliber. So, I need to eiher go on the hunt for it locally, and pay $30 for a pound just to see if that powder will like the bullet weight and gun I have, or buy online and pay for hazmat shipping... and still not be sure that it'll work.

You could ask us, first.
    I've just about perfected the "universal" powder supply. If you stock these 5/6 powders, you'll have something for every occasion.
    Universal clays.
    all non magnum handgun
    H110
    magnum handgun
    CFE 223/ Varget. Darn near universal rifle powder.
    H4350/RL19. Pretty much covers any rifle not covered by CFE/Varget.
    RL22/Retumbo. Add one of these if you have magnum rifles.
    H4198/RL7. Add one if you shoot a lot of straight wall rifle cartridges.

I handload for 20 some different cartridges, and only use these 6. From 204 to 450 marlin in rifles, and 9mm to 500 in handguns.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,853 Senior Member
    jbohio wrote: »
    You could ask us, first.
    I've just about perfected the "universal" powder supply. If you stock these 5/6 powders, you'll have something for every occasion.
    Universal clays.
    all non magnum handgun
    H110
    magnum handgun
    CFE 223/ Varget. Darn near universal rifle powder.
    H4350/RL19. Pretty much covers any rifle not covered by CFE/Varget.
    RL22/Retumbo. Add one of these if you have magnum rifles.
    H4198/RL7. Add one if you shoot a lot of straight wall rifle cartridges.

I handload for 20 some different cartridges, and only use these 6. From 204 to 450 marlin in rifles, and 9mm to 500 in handguns.

While I was just standing back, slack jawed in awe at the sheer volume and weirdness of the thread drift here, this jewel of wisdom shows up

So, for the most part, I'll be loading for 10mm, .45colt, .454casull, 7.62x39, 7.62x54r, .45-70, .357, and maybe .44mag. What's the best bets to go agross those?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,215 Senior Member
    That's my pet 30-06 load. I use a 200 grain Game King bullet over 56-56.5 grains IMR 4831. This gives me about 2650 FPS out of my 24 inch barrel. I worked that load up starting at 54 grains as that was near the bottom in my Speer book. I never saw any signs of excessive pressure, I just stopped because it was doing what I wanted and appeared to be very safe, so why push my luck. I said between 56 and 56.5, but I don't load them up that hot anymore. I stop at 56 now. I find I gain very little at 56.5 grains.

Your gonna make $32 jump out of my pocket...haha
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,132 Senior Member
    While I was just standing back, slack jawed in awe at the sheer volume and weirdness of the thread drift here, this jewel of wisdom shows up

So, for the most part, I'll be loading for 10mm, Blue Dot.45coltBlue Dot/Li'l Gun, .454casull Li'l Gun, 7.62x39 Varget, 7.62x54rVarget, .45-70 RL7, .357Li'l Gun/Blue Dot, and maybe .44magLi'l Gun/Blue Dot. What's the best bets to go agross those?
    On the one's I've listed Blue Dot/Li'l Gun Bluedot is for the GP loads and the Li'l Gun is for heavier bullet magnum loads.
    You can also replace my suggestions of Blue Dot with AA#5/Unique. AA#5/Unique normally won't give you quite the velocity of BlueDot, but is slightly more versatile

edited to add: since Lil Gun is one of the "go to" powders for the 'wulf, per Alexander's loading data, it SHOULD work for the 45-70 as well. I've been meaning to try it in my 45-70 contender loads, but haven't gotten around to it yet

edited again to add: Just looked at Hodgdon's website and they don't list and data for Li'l Gun in 45-70
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,513 Senior Member

So, for the most part, I'll be loading for 10mm, .45colt, .454casull, 7.62x39, 7.62x54r, .45-70, .357, and maybe .44mag. What's the best bets to go agross those?

H 110 covers all the handguns, except 10mm. Universal, or CFE pistol would be fine for that. CFE 223, Varget, or H4350 for 7.62x54, and H 4198 for 7.62x39 and 45/70.