Home Main Category Personal Defense

Ccw permit

RugerFanRugerFan Senior MemberPosts: 2,533 Senior Member
My son and I just applied for our permits. I could not believe how many people were also applying. We stood in line for almost 2 hrs.

Replies

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Everywhere the lines are longer as unrest continues, people realize that normal Law enforcement agencies are not capable of keeping the peace.
    So people need to take their safety into their own hands, while not dispensing law and justice, it is only fair to allow people to defend themselves against attacks.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Congrats anyway for getting on board. I've had my CHL for years, was in the 2nd class ever taught in Houston.

You won't regret the hassle, believe me. Worth it for certain.
    This is one game worth the candle !
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,962 Senior Member
    I'm 2/3 through the 90 day waiting period.
    A watched pot never boils !!!!
    A bird in hand beats two in the Bush !

Welcome aboard Rear Admiral NN !!!
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,533 Senior Member
    The price drop in the cost of the permit went into effect yesterday so that may have been why there were so many today. The hwy patrol station I went to only takes those applications 1 day week from 8-12. I heard one of the clerks tell someone that it takes 2-3 mos for the permit to come in the mail.

Sometime in the next 2-3 mos. we'll take a class and then we'll be able to carry virtually everywhere in MS, even schools and college campuses. That's called the "enhanced carry" permit. What we applied for today is a "regular" concealed carry permit that is somewhat limited in where you can carry. I called a local guy who teaches the class yesterday. He says the class is 95% classroom instruction. You only shoot about 30 rounds at a range of 15 feet. That's to make sure you know how to safely handle a gun.
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Bush? JEB or George? :yikes: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    When I read of nightmares like this, I thank God I live in Arizona (We have Constitutional carry - no permit necessary).
    Add Puerto Rico, with Vermont style permit-less carry.
    BATFE form 4473, instant background check, and that's it !
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,944 Senior Member
    I've had my CCW since 2001 and I've carried most of that time. Glad I have it.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    Elk creek wrote: »
    I've had my CCW since 2001 and I've carried most of that time. Glad I have it.

You have the tools for survival!!!
    When I was teaching firearms, I never taught my own anything, the course was based on the NYS penalty code, NYC administrative code, firearms safety, firearms maintenance, classroom lectures.

Range work, range safety, firearms safety, marksmanship instruction.
    Actual shooting practice: marksmanship, personal protection.
    Lots of qualified people participating in making the class a success.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »
    When I read of nightmares like this, I thank God I live in Arizona (We have Constitutional carry - no permit necessary).

Same here in Wyoming Lips, but I have a permit anyway for when I travel to other states and for gun purchases.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    FLA is pretty straight forward and have cut the processing time way down from what it was.
    My DD214/Ret Military exempted me from the class. Also it is good for 7 years.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Same here in Wyoming Lips, but I have a permit anyway for when I travel to other states and for gun purchases.

Long guns are ok for out of State purchases, handguns are not, a driver's license is what they ask for for those allowed purchases.
    Well you can buy, you just can't take handguns with you, you send them to your FFL...

A stupid rule that needs to end.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    NC also has constitutional carry and I found a lot of great info in the concealed carry laws course they teach at the LE Academy, which BTW I'm now certified to teach. Amazing how much misinformation is out there.....

yes, but, some places like Chapel Hill, do not have open carry.
  • topguntopgun Member Posts: 128 Member
    The waiting is the hardest part.

I hope you'll use the waiting time to find a good belt and holster, carry around the house to get used to it, carry an empty holster outside to practice concealment, and also to shoot at the range to improve your skills. By the time you get your license, you'll be more comfortable.

Good Luck!!
    topgun wrote: »
    The waiting is the hardest part.

I hope you'll use the waiting time to find a good belt and holster, carry around the house to get used to it, carry an empty holster outside to practice concealment, and also to shoot at the range to improve your skills. By the time you get your license, you'll be more comfortable.

Good Luck!!

Thanks, that is good advice. However.... I need a carry gun first. Right now my choices(what I have) are a Rossi snubby .38 and a Ruger P85. I'm torn between a Ruger LCP-size and a Ruger LC9 sized pistol. I've never fired a LCP, but I have held one. One of my sons has a LC9. I'm leaning toward the LC9/single stack genre due to them being 9mm vs .380.

It doesn't have to be a Ruger and probably won't be with my budget of barely over $300. I can not pay over $350. My lgs had a Diamondback single stack for 230-250(can't remember). I would like to hear from anyone with experience with the LCP-size vs a LC9-size. And from anyone with experience/knowledge of Diamondback pistols. I am open to Eastern-bloc milsurps such as a P64(?)Polish Radom(I think that's the one). Classic Firearms has FEG PPK clones for $179 but they're .32acp. Nice looking guns but they only come with one mag. I'm not sure about .32 acp for SD use.

I know this is rambling but what do y'all think? Oh, also, has anyone used(does use) a "belly band" type rig for carrying? I want something for when I have to have my shirt tucked in. Ok, now we can begin........
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    I have a Smith and Wesson bodyguard .380 (same size as the ruger LCP) and also have a Ruger LC9. I find myself pocket carrying the .380 a majority of the time, while not out of line for pocket carry (which is what I prefer) the LC9 is just a little large for my liking. Your mileage may vary.
    twa wrote: »
    I have a Smith and Wesson bodyguard .380 (same size as the ruger LCP) and also have a Ruger LC9. I find myself pocket carrying the .380 a majority of the time, while not out of line for pocket carry (which is what I prefer) the LC9 is just a little large for my liking. Yours may vary on mileage.

For pocket carry, I agree. I'll have to do something about how I carry my keys if I pocket carry any gun.
    I just put my keys in the same pocket (outside of my uncle Mikes pocket holster) breaks the outline up even more.
    Sheriff's office just called, my permit is a month early :applause:
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    You should be able to find a used LC9 in your budget easily. I think new they sell for 339 around here. Check Gunboker. Stay away from the DB pistols, I've heard they are crap. I would look for an LC9S if it were me, better trigger.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    If my budget was that limited, I would go with a used S&W semiautomatic pistol, lots of surplus police trade ins available in your limited price range, S&W is a proved brand, do not go low quality, check the various online gun stores.

Found you one !

Buds gun shop....

Surplus police trade in S&W MP-40, cal .40 S&W,
    299.00 S&h included
    even includes a cheap but unusable holster.

Buy quality.

Advantages, parts & services are better, parts cheap, easy to get... Magazines at any gun show or online...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/411555866/s&w_m&p40_with_night_sights_1_15_round_mag_and_holster
    While I agree with DoctorWho on staying with quality (not sure about diamondback??) one of the first things to make sure is to make sure it is comfortable enough to carry, otherwise you will find yourself leaving it at home. If you are looking at the Smith and Wesson i have heard good things from many hear about their Shields and I can attest to the Bodyguard being 100% reliable so far in the year or so I have carried it.
    See, comfortable is over rated, I don't give a rat's bums about my comfort, my budget sucked, I still got the best I could afford, and it is a full size sidearm, I don't leave it home, and it has been very hot here in Oregon this year, and I print like crazy,
    I have gotten dirty looks from citizens, not a second glance by LE, so I am not concerned....

BTW, Oregon LE is very nice if you have CCW, check out a YouTube video of an open carry fool /tool, carrying an AR15 openly, they only wanted to see his CCW, after a long delay, he produced it and was sent on his way.....
    twa wrote: »
    While I agree with DoctorWho on staying with quality (not sure about diamondback??) one of the first things to make sure is to make sure it is comfortable enough to carry, otherwise you will find yourself leaving it at home. If you are looking at the Smith and Wesson i have heard good things from many hear about their Shields and I can attest to the Bodyguard being 100% reliable so far in the year or so I have carried it.

Yeah, comfort will be/is a factor. I figure the LC9 /single stack size pistol will be as large as I will want to go. I'm leaning toward the LCP size but I want to shoot one before I buy. Although, I will probably just stick my P85 in the waistband and see how that goes.
    Always use a holster, unless you reality want your gun to go snickety snickety per snickety falling / sliding on the floor for all to see.

I had an experience as a LEO, I had just gotten a quality ankle holster, brand new, had a S&W Chief in it, BUG, was walking by some Detectives and snickety snickety per snickety it goes sliding along..... I was laughed at plenty, everyone heard about it.....

It could be worse for the non LEO....
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,812 Senior Member
    I don't know how much experience you have with LCP or LC9 sized guns, but don't assume that you will be able to hit where you aim with one, if you haven't tried. Of the two, I would choose the 9mm and get a good IWB holster and belt. The LCP is OK, and can be carried in a pocket, but is last on my list of carry guns, due to being the most difficult to fire accurately. I think of mine as maybe being useful if someone is chasing me with a knife, or has me down on the ground kicking me.

If you imagine yourself getting into a gunfight with an armed person, get a gun that you can shoot well, and forget about being comfortable. This is just my personal, uninformed opinion.
    Strange how folks without experience in something as critical as personal defense make those decisions, choices.
    Even with experience, I have made some poor choices, however, I learned from those
    Mis-steaks.