Home Main Category Personal Defense

Ccw permit

2»

Replies

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,345 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »

If you imagine yourself getting into a gunfight with an armed person, get a gun that you can shoot well, and forget about being comfortable. This is just my personal, uninformed opinion.

Or learn to shoot a gun that is comfortable to carry. Practice will increase your confidence.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,533 Senior Member
    Bisley, Wambli, that's why I'm leaning toward the LC9-size. While the LCP-size would probably be more comfortable to carry, I'm just not sure how well I can shoot a gun that small.

Doc, all I can say is I'll have to start carrying and see what happens. A full-size 1911 may be more comfortable to carry than I imagine.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    A lot of guys here do carry full size, my body just doesn't work for full size carry comfortably. An XDS in .45 with a super tuck holster is about as ambitious I get with carry. With practice you should be able to shoot the smaller guns just fine. That being said every individual is different, you will just have to see what works for you.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    Or learn to shoot a gun that is comfortable to carry. Practice will increase your confidence.

:agree: - Well said Gene, just because you carry a smaller gun doesn't necessarily mean giving anything up from a larger gun IMO, practice with what you carry, if you can't shoot it worth a hoot, DO NOT CARRY IT.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,812 Senior Member
    RugerFan wrote: »
    Bisley, Wambli, that's why I'm leaning toward the LC9-size. While the LCP-size would probably be more comfortable to carry, I'm just not sure how well I can shoot a gun that small.

You can learn to shoot a small gun, but it takes a lot of practice, and the LCP is not a fun practice gun. I won't carry something that I'm not confident with, and if I don't have recent and productive practice with the subcompacts, I'll carry a 4" that I've fired thousands of rounds through. It's something to think about, once you start carrying. You really need to know what to expect if you ever do have to draw it.
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    RugerFan wrote: »
    Yeah, comfort will be/is a factor. I figure the LC9 /single stack size pistol will be as large as I will want to go. I'm leaning toward the LCP size but I want to shoot one before I buy. Although, I will probably just stick my P85 in the waistband and see how that goes.

I carry my LC9 every day in my right hip pocket in a DeSaints Nemisis holster.......only issue is I have to wear carpenter jeans or other pants with large pockets. Riggs Ranger pants are my favorite cargo style pants.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    I think the CW 9 is a two-finger gun, unless you use the longer magazine, which gives you an additional finger grip. Or half a finger, if you have large meathooks. With my PM 9 I carry the short grip and shoot the short one, and at practical ranges it's accurate enough.
    Thanks.

I had the "full size" one in .45 for a brief period of time, it kicked like hell. The pistol was easy to carry and if I didn't have already my allotment of carry pistols, I would have sucked it up and carried it.

The ones mentioned are like the 9mm pistol in the movie "The Brave One" and since Jodie Foster carried it in her purse, a great weapon. Makes me want to carry a purse instead of a "Murse". got to have a lot of balls to carry a man-purse.
    The ones mentioned are like the 9mm pistol in the movie "The Brave One" and since Jodie Foster carried it in her purse, a great weapon.

Hers was a K-9.

Believe it or not, the K,P, and CW series Kahr pistols are actually slightly larger than the S&W Shield and the XDs, although they have a shorter trigger reach.
    But a longer trigger pull. It's a great trigger, but long compared to the Shield. An entirely different feel, or it was for my experience. The Kahr was like a great DA revolver trigger. They're accurate and well engineered.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    For me, nothing could beat the balance and trigger of a S&W model 10 heavy barrel, with a trigger job and a few niceties, and pachymere grips, even +P ammo felt like low power rounds.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    But a longer trigger pull. It's a great trigger, but long compared to the Shield. An entirely different feel, or it was for my experience. The Kahr was like a great DA revolver trigger. They're accurate and well engineered.

Yep, the Shield needs trigger work, right out of the box, or at least mine did. I installed the Apex sear kit, and replaced the trigger itself with an Apex straight trigger that has the feel of a 1911 style. It moves the break point farther to the front and improves it greatly, especially for persons with long fingers. I still prefer the XDs to either the Kahr or the Shield, personally.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    The more I experience other triggers, the more I realize how perfect the 1911,
    pre series 70 especially, simple and elegant, low parts count.
    All other triggers are just too complicated and inconsistent.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,962 Senior Member
  • Gator MonroeGator Monroe Banned Posts: 655 Senior Member
    I loved carrying my WW2 USGI 1911A1 "War Trophy" (Bringback) Mixmaster (Colt Slide/Ithaca Frame) but having carried my Glock Gen 3 19 for almost a year I know the switch was not a Mis-Steak ...
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    I had to take a class ($60), apply at the local sheriff's department ($100, which included finger printing and a photo ID), and pay for a CBI background check (50). I had to take the class first and get a signed certificate from the instructor. The certificate was required with my application.

When I applied (several years ago), it took me about 30 minutes total, including the finger printing and photo. I then had to wait about 3 weeks to get the CCW. Some folks had to wait up to 90 days.

Colorado is a must issue state, and the law limits the wait time to 90 days. I was very pleasantly surprised that my wait time was only 3 weeks.

I guess that every state is different.

Also, open carry is legal here. I've seen a number of people wearing their side arms in plain sight walking around stores in town.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.