Home Main Category Hunting

Thinking of giving up my hunting leas after 25 years on the same lease

timctimc Senior MemberPosts: 6,684 Senior Member
I've been hunting on the same ranch for 25 years. Since my dad past away in 2010 it really hasn't been the same out there. I have had a couple of buddies the have come in And hunted but non have stayed more than a year or two until they dropped out for various reasons. This year I asked the owner to allow two new hunters since it is back to just me but I was told not at this time but I could continue to hunt.

90% of the hunt to me is the fellowship in camp, BBQ, telling stories and just relaxing. I also promised my wife a couple years ago I would not hunt by myself since I'm no longer a young buck and she worries too much when I'm out by myself.

I'm thinking I am just going to call it quits and if I do get in the mood to hunt I'll just do a meat hunt on a game ranch, much cheaper and easier. I figure it has to come one day so might as well be now. The break away from hunting will also allow us to travel more which the wife does enjoy much more than the ranch.
timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
AKA: Former Founding Member
«1

Replies

  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,561 Senior Member
    When I no longer want to hunt..........ya'll can just bury me.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,080 Senior Member
    That would be a hard call to make.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    It definitely isn't as much fun, by yourself.

    A good, affordable lease is almost impossible to find around here, because nobody ever gives them up, and when they do, there are city folks that will gladly pay two or three times what I think they are worth.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    Big changes here as well...Kelli will become the chief meat procurer in the family since her tribal hunting license allows her 5 deer a season...and Michigan's deer regulations appear to be so convoluted, I may not want to even bother with it. Not that I mind...I've pulled the trigger on a LOT of deer in my life and I'm getting to where I'd rather hunt with someone else (like my wife, kids and grandkids) and coach them through the process....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,146 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    When I no longer want to hunt..........ya'll can just bury me.
    Sure and with a confederate flag too
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,146 Senior Member
    I'm hunting less, mostly weather related, just been funky weather; otherwise, I prefer to be out alone
    since the boy went in the army and then retired in Texas.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    I'm hunting less, mostly weather related, just been funky weather; otherwise, I prefer to be out alone
    since the boy went in the army and then retired in Texas.

    I never used to mind hunting alone when I was young, the woods were always a relaxing place to be but the wife is right cause these parts don't function as well in those parts anymore!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    timc wrote: »
    I've been hunting on the same ranch for 25 years. Since my dad past away in 2010 it really hasn't been the same out there. I have had a couple of buddies the have come in And hunted but non have stayed more than a year or two until they dropped out for various reasons. This year I asked the owner to allow two new hunters since it is back to just me but I was told not at this time but I could continue to hunt.

    90% of the hunt to me is the fellowship in camp, BBQ, telling stories and just relaxing. I also promised my wife a couple years ago I would not hunt by myself since I'm no longer a young buck and she worries too much when I'm out by myself.

    I'm thinking I am just going to call it quits and if I do get in the mood to hunt I'll just do a meat hunt on a game ranch, much cheaper and easier. I figure it has to come one day so might as well be now. The break away from hunting will also allow us to travel more which the wife does enjoy much more than the ranch.

    My advice comes from experience. Think this through very hard. Once it's gone it's gone. The lessor will have NO PROBLEM finding another Lessee. And should you miss it very much, like I did, it will cost a lot more to find a similar place, believe me. People have gone full tilt bozo on lease prices nowadays. And you WILL miss it. You have been hunting on the same place for 25 years and when it's gone it's gonna leave a hole in your heart and soul. The problem of your landowner only allowing you out there may be a temporary one. If it's me I'd give it a while. Also, just schedule your camping and traveling outside of deer season. Sounds like a mistake in the making to me. But it's your call of course. Just my opinion.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    There may come a day when I no longer want to shoot deer critters but I dont ever see me stopping my hunting. I may not even have ammo with me but going out and watching, looking is enough sometimes.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    One of my favorite things to do is hunt antelope. I carry a camera, and bring along a few good friends. I do my best to help them get a goat, and feel every bit as good about them getting one as they do. I've killed enough of 'em, and am glad to help someone else get one.

    Since finally killing a good bull elk, I've lost my desire to kill another one. They're just way too much work to get out. I still like the idea of taking a cow or a young bull for meat, but that's about it. Last year, I had a cow tag, and went out by myself on opening day. I hunted the mountain about 12 miles west of where I live, and hunted until dark. I got a might confused finding my way back to my truck, and got home late. When I arrived, I discovered that my wife had panicked and called some friends. They were all there anxiously waiting on me. It sort of made me mad. To add insult to injury, a deputy about half my age showed up later and lectured me on hunting alone. It was all I could do to be polite. I know my wife was just looking out for me, and maybe it is time to quit hunting these mountains alone. I've done it a lot over the years, though, and always managed to come home in pretty much the same shape I left. Oh well....

    I still want to get a good buck deer, preferably a whitetail and a mulie. I've taken a few decent mule deer, but nothing special. But, if I don't, that will be ok, too.

    I understand where you're coming from, Tim. Ten years ago the thought of hanging up my hunting gear was anathema. But, as I get older, the desire has abated some, and it's not nearly as much fun getting up very early on a cold morning just to be in the (hopefully) right spot and the (hopefully) right time.

    Whatever you do, I hope you'll look back with no regrets.
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,697 Senior Member
    Only way I could see myself (regularly) hunting again is if it is on my own land. Don't think that is going to happen......
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    One option that a lot of Texas hunters choose is to hunt one of the western states that have lots of public land. The out of state license fees are high, but typically not as high as what a good Texas deer lease will cost. The regs for states such as Colorado are complicated, and it always helps to know someone who knows the country.

    When I moved to Colorado in 1990, I talked my dad and some others from his home town to come up and hunt with me. My dad was 64 then, and got his first and only elk. Since then, others have taken bulls, cows and bucks in the same area. Unfortunately, when Mosseybuck and I hunted there a few years ago, it was a bust.
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,289 Senior Member
    Giving up your lease sounds like giving up your fun, Texas hog hunt sounds like fun along with the deer, bug your nieces and nephews, cousins, hell anybody you feel would be safe and reasonably sane. Throw out the Forum Texas hunt gauntlet, a few of us will find they way there.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Tim, I can understand where you're coming from.
    Having been there, and knowing how high the stands are, I can't say I blame you for your possible decision.

    I know with MY knees, I couldn't/wouldn't hunt there alone.
    LUCKILY, my "shooting houses" are <1' off the ground, otherwise I wouldn't be able to hunt on family's land alone.

    Health is my wife's main issue with me hunting alone. being old and not the best shape is not a good condition for dragging game and loading feeders even though I've never had any issues and every time I have a physical the doctor tells me I'm pretty healthy for an old fat guy. There is however always the first time and in South Texas we also have those pesky rattle bugs that slither around, Ive almost been bit more than one time over the years and I'm getting slower every year!

    Also like I said there are plenty of game ranches that have weekend hunt with lots of game if I want some meat. If worse came to worse I also have a backyard full of them furry little Bambi creatures!

    I wrote a letter to the owner today telling them I was out unless they will allow a couple other hunters like it has always been. I'll think on it this weekend and decide if I'll send it on Monday; as of now it will probably go in the mail.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    DO whatcha gotta do mi amigo, you know you're always welcome to come chase whitetails here :beer:

    Gracias mi hermano!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Hunting is in my blood and 25 years getting to know an area....would be hard for me to let go of.

    Mike said it best.....when it's Gone it is Gone forever.

    Tell that girl of yours to saddle up if she doesn't want you out there alone
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    If in the End you do give it up.....remember this...... she wants to travel and Autumn in New England is spectacular.

    You wanted company hunting.....We have deer

    IMG_0061-1.jpg
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    I still think it's a damn shame that hunting opportunities are so limited in Texas and apparently geared towards folks with deep pockets.....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    I still think it's a damn shame that hunting opportunities are so limited in Texas and apparently geared towards folks with deep pockets.....

    Good ol' capitalism at work. Lots of deer, but lots of rich dudes wanting to hunt and money is no object.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    Wish I could help out timc. We used to hunt on my cousin's land, but we lost that when he died last summer. I would have been more than happy to pay for my share of a lease, but I lost my oilfield job a couple months ago. Paying that kind of money for a non-necessity just wouldn't be responsible right now. When oil comes up and I get my old job, or any oilfield job, back, I'd be willing to talk to my dad to gauge his interest. Until then, though, no dice.

    Come on $80/bbl oil, daddy wants a new hunting lease! :)
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    I hunted alone three years ago (when I was only 60), and quite naturally, I shot my biggest buck ever, in the most remote location ever. It was a race against the rising temperature to get it loaded and transported to a hanging tree for skinning, quartering, and icing. I was plumb tuckered out by the time I got home. I was really missing my youngest grandson, who, the year before, at age 7, had helped me with all of that.

    I would still be hunting there, if I could, and would still have to do it alone, but I'm not through hunting, yet, if I ever find another good place.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Weatherby wrote: »
    If in the End you do give it up.....remember this...... she wants to travel and Autumn in New England is spectacular.

    That part of the country is beautiful in the fall, we were in Niagara Falls and Vermont last October, we had a great time! We plan on doing more trips in the future and eventually going to a motor home when I retire to do some full time traveling.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    I hunted alone three years ago (when I was only 60), and quite naturally, I shot my biggest buck ever, in the most remote location ever. It was a race against the rising temperature to get it loaded and transported to a hanging tree for skinning, quartering, and icing. I was plumb tuckered out by the time I got home. I was really missing my youngest grandson, who, the year before, at age 7, had helped me with all of that.

    I would still be hunting there, if I could, and would still have to do it alone, but I'm not through hunting, yet, if I ever find another good place.

    Im not through hunting just through hunting alone! I have been invited on a hunt in October this year up in the mountains just south of Monterrey Mexico but don't know if I'll get the chance.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    What about leasing out your lease? Everyone says that good leases are hard to find in Texas. Is that too much hassle?
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    What about leasing out your lease? Everyone says that good leases are hard to find in Texas. Is that too much hassle?

    Not an option, I am the only one allowed to hunt. This was a decision made by the matriarch of the family. Her husband who I originally leased from passed away a few years back. They have been friends of the family for many years. The son and his wife were in our wedding when my wife and I got married.
    My friends mom who rules the roost just doesnt want any new strangers out there. So when the two guys I was hunting with dropped off She said since I am like family I could still hunt but nobody new which is where the problem comes in because I don't want to be out there by myself. If I drop out then nobody will hunt that land since my friend does not hunt.

    It's not like there is any bad blood between us just a matter of her decision and mine, we will all still be friends.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,365 Senior Member
    Being single, the choice would be different if I was in your position.

    I enjoy hunting alone. That doesn't mean that I don't like hunting with buddies cos I do, but being by myself allows me to send my mind to places it is difficult to go when others are present.

    One day I will go hunting and not come home................and that is how it should be.

    Its 4am and I have to head up to the forest but I will revisit this when I get back.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    timc wrote: »
    Not an option, I am the only one allowed to hunt. This was a decision made by the matriarch of the family. Her husband who I originally leased from passed away a few years back. They have been friends of the family for many years. The son and his wife were in our wedding when my wife and I got married.
    My friends mom who rules the roost just doesnt want any new strangers out there. So when the two guys I was hunting with dropped off She said since I am like family I could still hunt but nobody new which is where the problem comes in because I don't want to be out there by myself. If I drop out then nobody will hunt that land since my friend does not hunt.

    It's not like there is any bad blood between us just a matter of her decision and mine, we will all still be friends.

    Well, whatever turns your crank man. You've probably already done this, but if it's me I would ask my wife if she would like to go camping at deer camp. Take her with you. Bring your new camper. Make a weekend out of it. Buy her some nice wine, make it like a date. Just let her sleep in and you go hunting. Sounds like a weekend made in heaven to me.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Well, whatever turns your crank man. You've probably already done this, but if it's me I would ask my wife if she would like to go camping at deer camp. Take her with you. Bring your new camper. Make a weekend out of it. Buy her some nice wine, make it like a date. Just let her sleep in and you go hunting. Sounds like a weekend made in heaven to me.


    Another note: I would at least stay on it until I found another place. And there are other places, just have to look harder these days. Anyway, just thoughts in my head because I can't see you being happy without a hunting place after all those years. What sounds ok now may be hell to live with come hunting season.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Well, whatever turns your crank man. You've probably already done this, but if it's me I would ask my wife if she would like to go camping at deer camp. Take her with you. Bring your new camper. Make a weekend out of it. Buy her some nice wine, make it like a date. Just let her sleep in and you go hunting. Sounds like a weekend made in heaven to me.

    If the wife is going camping there better be a hot tub and pool! Cable TV is also a must, she doesn't do hunting camp and she doesn't drink so that's out.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Another note: I would at least stay on it until I found another place. And there are other places, just have to look harder these days. Anyway, just thoughts in my head because I can't see you being happy without a hunting place after all those years. What sounds ok now may be hell to live with come hunting season.

    I have a buddy that has 100 acres close by I can go pig hunting if I want and like I said before there are lots of places to do day/weekend hunts. Who knows maybe one of the deer in the back yard may fall down for some reason....
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement