Home Main Category Personal Defense

Nasty surprise or your gun just became a paperweight !

DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior MemberPosts: 9,496 Senior Member
Maybe not a paperweight, close enough however, enough to merit a topic.

Scenario: your life is in peril, you draw your CCW, and the magazine falls out !

Somehow the magazine release worked, whilst your gun was holstered, you can pull the trigger since you figure you have at least one shot, no magazine safety, however, your gun is also out of battery, somehow that holster you like so much is permitting all kinds of nasty stuff.

I have had 1911s go off safety, remedied by increasing the saftey detent depth, and the pressure needed to release the safety.

Has anyone else experienced unintended events with holstered handguns ? Remedies ????
"There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Carry a revolver.
    Jerry
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,961 Senior Member
    I have a holster that can knock the safety on a 1911 when snapping the thumb break, I expect a vigorous
    break-in would solve the issue.
    Teach wrote: »
    Carry a revolver.
    Jerry
    I second that
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,794 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »

Has anyone else experienced unintended events with holstered handguns ? Remedies ????

Nope.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    No and maybe you shouldn't have a gun if you have problems like this.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,794 Senior Member
    Scenario: your life is in peril, you draw your CCW, and the magazine falls out !

Fire the chambered round and reload with my spare mag.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Teach is correct again, wheel guns always go bang. I carry my wheel gun more than one of my autos. If I'm worried about a gun fight I change destination. Spare mags would be called for in Chicago or Behngazi. :applause: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,944 Senior Member
    Glock for years no problems. This is why you buy Good Quality holsters, and they ain't cheap. Nylon is good for web belts period! Kydex is serviceable when it is for the exact model of your gun, period. And leather holsters have to be made by someone who understands how to properly fit a pistol/revolver to leather.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,635 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    I have a holster that can knock the safety on a 1911 when snapping the thumb break, I expect a vigorous
    break-in would solve the issue.

Amputate the thumb break....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Amputate the thumb break....
    Done
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,692 Senior Member
    All the more reason to test your gear before putting it through its paces. This can include carrying the firearm around the house, in the holster, before you walk about on the street. Then you check out the bloody thing on a regular basis - say weekly or so - to make sure there's nothing in the holster mucking things up.

This is also another rounding endorsement for kydex or stiff, boned leather to make sure that nothing flops or bends and causes issues. It may cost more, but how much is your kiester worth?
    Overkill is underrated.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Carry a revolver.
    Jerry

Careful, Teach -- those of us who have wheelguns only have 5-6 shots and then we're toast. Don't get on the wrong side of the equation, dude. ha ha
    Fat Billy wrote: »
    Teach is correct again, wheel guns always go bang. I carry my wheel gun more than one of my autos. If I'm worried about a gun fight I change destination. Spare mags would be called for in Chicago or Behngazi. :applause: Later,

Er, yeah, what I've been saying in the "renewed threat" thread. Join the club.

But I will add that Glocks also always go bang, too.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    I have never lost my revolver's magazine. I can't even find the release button.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,636 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Fire the chambered round and reload with my spare mag.

Correct. And get a better holster
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    samzhere wrote: »
    Careful, Teach -- those of us who have wheelguns only have 5-6 shots and then we're toast. Don't get on the wrong side of the equation, dude. ha ha
    Sam, Sam, Sam; your on a streak today.

Good one :rotflmao:
    horselips wrote: »
    I have never lost my revolver's magazine. I can't even find the release button.
    Yeah, well; I have bent the clip.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    No and maybe you shouldn't have a gun if you have problems like this.

Really ?
    .......well good thing you are not in charge, lol

Funny infantile reaction to someone you dislike, typically a response of an emotionally immature 10 year old, not a responsible adult.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    "But I will add that Glocks also always go bang, too."
    Whether you want them to or not?

Er, no. All my Glocks have always functioned perfectly, zero unexpected behavior. You pull the trigger, they go bang. Otherwise I think you could drop 'em off a cliff and they'd just bounce and you could then use them fine afterward. Whatever disses might be made about Glocks, unreliability isn't one of them.
    NN wrote: »
    Sam, Sam, Sam; your on a streak today.

Good one :rotflmao:

I just had to jump in on that, after we all debated up and down whether a single magazine or single cylinder would be enough in a confrontation, and it looks like at least for the moment, Teach was agreeing with me.

But hey.
    I for one never argued as to whether or not a cylinder is enough,, or if a two shot is enough, I simply stated what I do, without judging what anyone else carries, however my issue was with the exagerarated comparisons equaling the carrying of one additional loaded magazine, as excessive or like having meteor insurance.
    What anyone carries is up to them, not me, just as what I carry is up to me.
    Really ?
    .......well good thing you are not in charge, lol

Funny infantile reaction to someone you dislike, typically a response of an emotionally immature 10 year old, not a responsible adult.

If you are running around with a gun in an improperly fitted holster that causes problems like this maybe you shouldn't be carrying it. Just Sayin
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,944 Senior Member
    When I'm in the mountains I prefer my 45 Colt flat top Ruger. It's plenty of gun for whatever I'm going to encounter. I don't carry my Glock much in the hills. When I'm in town the Glock gets the nod. Why? Heck if I know either would be just fine for either place but they seem to have their place. BUT they both have good leather to go with them. Well the Glock has a kydex too.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    For the same reasons you are a known tool.
    In any case, I don't care if people waste their valuable time hating.

Bupford says I should not carry, not because I am unsafe, simply for a failure of equipment that puts nobody in any danger except perhaps me.
    I am not running around with anything, getting close to the age of slowly walking everywhere.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Is this a holster you just bought? Why would you ever carry a firearm in a holster that drops the mag and takes the gun out of battery? It would seem you might check this sort of thing before trusting your life to it.

I have a custom made holster from a fellow forum member. The mag release on my keltec was too big and would drop the mag when it was used. I noticed this the first time I used it. Twenty seconds with a needle file and problem solved. Again, why would you carry a gun in a holster like this?

However I agree with Zee, if this were to happen, reload, rack, and fire for effect.
  • topguntopgun Member Posts: 128 Member
    I think everyone is over-looking the obvious: It's way past time for a new gun and holster.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' with it. :)
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    My oldest brother owns a Taurus 92 copy from when they forst came out and it would drop the magazine out every time you fired it...........he sent it back for free repairs and it has worked fine ever since and probably the only Taurus I'd pay up to 100 bucks for one like it if I ever decided to own another one. :tooth:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Is this a holster you just bought? Why would you ever carry a firearm in a holster that drops the mag and takes the gun out of battery? It would seem you might check this sort of thing before trusting your life to it.

I have a custom made holster from a fellow forum member. The mag release on my keltec was too big and would drop the mag when it was used. I noticed this the first time I used it. Twenty seconds with a needle file and problem solved. Again, why would you carry a gun in a holster like this?

:that::that::that:
    Big Chief wrote: »
    My oldest brother owns a Taurus 92 copy from when they first came out and it would drop the magazine out every time you fired it...........he sent it back for free repairs and it has worked fine ever since and probably the only Taurus I'd pay up to 100 bucks for one like it if I ever decided to own another one. :tooth:

This is bad very bad.