Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Trump slams McCain's war hero status

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 22,429 Senior Member
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jul/18/donald-trump-john-mccain-vietnam-iowa-republicans

I was pretty open minded on Trump's bid for the White House before this. But he's becoming cannibalistic now. He made the stupid and irresponsible statement that McCain was a war hero just because he got captured. Well in my opinion, McCain is a war hero because he put himself in a position to be captured. Then the North Vietnamese offered to free him because of his dad's record, and He refused and was tortured more because of it. McCain is NOT my favorite Republican, but I will always revere his record and he is an American Hero, like all those poor guys that rotted for years in the Hanoi Hilton. I don't recall Trumps military record, jus sayin'.
Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member SMIBville(Southern MD)Posts: 1,826 Senior Member
    So his only accomplishment was getting shot down and being a good prisoner. He has been about as successful as a politician as well.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • shushshush Senior Member This Sceptical Isle.Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    HvyMax wrote: »
    So his only accomplishment was getting shot down and being a good prisoner. He has been about as successful as a politician as well.

• TeachTeach Senior Member Dellrose TNPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
    John Kennedy got his boat sunk by not paying attention to that Japanese destroyer bearing down on him in the middle of the night. Being a lousy sailor didn't stop him from succeeding as a politician, even if his bootlegger daddy did buy the election!
    Jerry
  • BufordBuford Senior Member CA. Beach citiesPosts: 6,721 Senior Member
    shush wrote: »

Sad ain't it.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    Buford wrote: »
    Sad ain't it.

Very.

Way too much barly water, when young.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member

Ya know HvyMax, sometimes I really respect your opinions, but when you blast out like this without proper research you leave me astounded. Let's put it this way, even without his refusing to be freed and staying with his fellow captives, he put himself into a position to be captured. He flew into the gates of hell and braved AA and Sam missiles to do his duty. It's not any one thing that makes him a hero to me, it's all he did. And though his political reputation is somewhat tarnished by reaching across the Aisle a little too often, Nobody can take what he did as a Navy Pilot away from him or tarnish is record there. He put his life on the line for his country and his fellow pilots. Tell me what Trump has done in that category?

Trump can't wipe his ****
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Looks like Hvy will be joining Gator in the Trump camp. Their boy said something colossally stupid, and rather recognize that fact they double down, and defend the indefensible.
    Looks like Hvy will be joining Gator in the Trump camp. Their boy said something colossally stupid,......

They've replicated? :yikes:

Oh sweet Lord...............

Armageddon is upon us. :silly::silly:
    Looks like Hvy will be joining Gator in the Trump camp. Their boy said something colossally stupid, and rather recognize that fact they double down, and defend the indefensible.

I'm curious as to what uniform they have worn?
  • samzheresamzhere Banned HoustonPosts: 10,923 Senior Member

Sorry, Max, but I totally disagree. McCain was a hero during his stay at the Hanoi Hilton. He had a chance to be repatriated but refused, his release being predicated on his father being an admiral, but McCain stayed with his comrades.

A genuine hero.

And he's a decent, honest guy. He's just a lot more liberally inclined than I'd prefer, but I respect him totally.

And Trump? He can take a flying, er, "leap" at a rolling donut for all I care. He's done in my estimation for good. Nobody can say this about a real hero (and a good man) and get past my scrutiny.

Well, that really doesn't matter -- it's okay for many to have not served in the military, and then to criticize military decisions and such.

But Trump really stepped in it this time and he can never retreat from that idiotic statement.

I'm predicting that his ratings in the polls will now plummet and he'll soon be forgotten. Jerk.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member

Hmmmmmmmm! Cub Scout?....:popcorn:.....:buff2:.....:silly:

................:rotflmao:................:rotflmao:................:rotflmao:
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    He was the senior POW and went through hell and still kept his men going to the extent he could. Most of his fellow POWs have great things to say about his leadership at the Hanoi Hilton. It wasn't his first mission BTW and yea he got shot down, so did lots of others. Bush Sr. got shot down too. Hvy can't even bend his wrist, what would he be like if he had his arms tied behind his back and suspended by his elbows? Respect his service, especially if you've never worn a uniform yourself. Disagree with his politics all you like.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • N320AWN320AW Senior Member North Georgia MountainsPosts: 648 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    Well, that really doesn't matter -- it's okay for many to have not served in the military, and then to criticize military decisions and such.

But Trump really stepped in it this time and he can never retreat from that idiotic statement.

I'm predicting that his ratings in the polls will now plummet and he'll soon be forgotten. Jerk.

I do not think so as to his popularity going south. A great many people simply like what he says.

I believe Trump is trying to go head-to-head opposite with the politics we've lived with for years. A lot of years. He knows that most politicians are in it for the long-haul and won't do much to change anything. He is taking advantage of that FACT every time he opens his mouth. People like to hear his opinions and most agree with them. He is trying to exploit and capitalize on them, which he is doing well.

Like I said earlier, every man or woman who served in Vietnam are heroes . . . not just McCain.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Trump isn't a politician in the first place. He is an attention whore and is eating up every bit of media he is getting. Anyone that calls into question that Obama is not a natural born American citizen (naturally born from his American citizen mother) is an idiot, and Trump made himself king of the idiots. I take his candidacy about as seriously as I do Alfred E. Newman's. His best case scenario is to act politically active so he can manipulate real politicians to serve his agenda (and the agenda has always been Donald Trump).

This is nothing but a sideshow and you folks are only giving a narcissist the attention that he craves. We got better things to do besides this. Not only that, but he makes conservatives look like a bunch of knuckle dragging idiots. If I were the DNC and wanted the Republicans to look like fools, I couldn't do any better by planting some other moron besides him in the Republican field.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,750 Senior Member
    I served in Viet Nam and I'm not a hero. McCain did heroic things, however. Like not giving in to his tormentors. Whether he is or is not a hero isn't something for a draft dodger like Trump to comment negatively on.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,280 Senior Member
    I despise John McCain the politician....I have nothing but respect for John McCain the veteran....

Trump has no place criticizing anyones war record/military service....particularly when he in not a member of the brotherhood...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Living in a van, down by the river.Posts: 14,034 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Trump isn't a politician in the first place. He is an attention whore and is eating up every bit of media he is getting. Anyone that calls into question that Obama is not a natural born American citizen (naturally born from his American citizen mother) is an idiot, and Trump made himself king of the idiots. I take his candidacy about as seriously as I do Alfred E. Newman's. His best case scenario is to act politically active so he can manipulate real politicians to serve his agenda (and the agenda has always been Donald Trump).

This is nothing but a sideshow and you folks are only giving a narcissist the attention that he craves. We got better things to do besides this. Not only that, but he makes conservatives look like a bunch of knuckle dragging idiots. If I were the DNC and wanted the Republicans to look like fools, I couldn't do any better by planting some other moron besides him in the Republican field.
    Agreed. Saw a Twitter post that said that what's embarassing is that it's not the birtherism, the overwhelmingly broad brush he's used to paint immigrants with, or the blatant narcissism and obvious lack of intelligence to wipe him out of the race, but a slam on veterans. We don't need another politician, but we don't need Donald Trump either.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • LanceLance Member Posts: 149 Member

+1.

He's been trolling this country for years, and likely laughing his a$$ off about it behind closed doors.

Unbelievable that anyone would take him seriously again after 2012. Absolutely unbelievable.
    Romney went to NYC in 2012 to kiss Trump's ass-- that is what he wanted then and what he wants now. He is not a serious candidate.
    -Thomas Paine
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Panama City, Fl.Posts: 8,687 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    I despise John McCain the politician....I have nothing but respect for John McCain the veteran....

Trump has no place criticizing anyones war record/military service....particularly when he in not a member of the brotherhood...

Trump was a draft dodger, just like Klinton!! Bone spur CPJ's hairy rifle rest!!
    N320AW wrote: »
    Like I said earlier, every man or woman who served in Vietnam are heroes . . . not just McCain.

I disagree, you want to make everyone a hero so no one gets their feelings hurt?
  • Gator MonroeGator Monroe Banned Posts: 655 Senior Member
    Screw Viva Juan McCain & Rick "Dreamer" Perry" & Lindsey Grahamnesty...
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,280 Senior Member
    Screw Viva Juan McCain & Rick "Dreamer" Perry" & Lindsey Grahamnesty...

You already said that...is this a cut and paste from the other thread?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    If we kicked every candidate to the curb every time he misspoke, or did something dumb, we'd have no candidates left in either party. And while that sounds like a very good idea, it is somewhat impractical, and would make for a very boring election.

DO NOT make the "perfect" the enemy of the "good." Everybody on this forum knows I am the only perfect candidate, but I'm sitting this one out, so you know going in you're going to have to settle for less. So just do it. Just say YES to your favorite GOOD candidate regardless of the clumps of flotsam and jetsam that occasionally clog his vocal chords. Voters standing ready to stone their candidates to death should ask who among them is without sin, and let him cast the first stone.

Good candidates often make great presidents. But great or not, all have had their flaws and faults, and so what? We're not electing an autocrat. All we can expect of any president is that he set the country in the general direction we want it to go in, and that he encourage the trends we feel benefit our society the most. That doesn't require a saint, believe it or not, it only needs a good man (or woman).

I still like Trump for lots of reasons, but I also like Scott Walker. My dream team right now is Walker-Fiorina. I am not ECSTATIC over either of them, but I am very HAPPY with them, and in politics, that's the best I, and you, can really hope for.
  • N320AWN320AW Senior Member North Georgia MountainsPosts: 648 Senior Member
    I disagree, you want to make everyone a hero so no one gets their feelings hurt?

Maybe, maybe not. Come to think I may file with the commission and throw my hat in the ring as an independent. Make everybody happy. That's the political way of doing things, isn't it? :tooth:
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    You already said that...is this a cut and paste from the other thread?

I'm pretty sure he can't come up with anything better.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
    Closet homosexuals rarely do. They just accuse others of stuff while hiding behind their own lies.
    -Thomas Paine
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Closet homosexuals rarely do. They just accuse others of stuff while hiding behind their own lies.

:rotflmao:
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY

Who? You left me at closet...