Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Trump slams McCain's war hero status

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    You are still in the closet too Sam? It is ok. SCOTUS said so. Come out and bask in the light of the rainbow.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • Gator MonroeGator Monroe Banned Posts: 655 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    You are still in the closet too Sam? It is ok. SCOTUS said so. Come out and bask in the light of the rainbow.

Minorities of all stripes are hip now and have oodles of gravitas & street cred ...
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Closet homosexuals rarely do. They just accuse others of stuff while hiding behind their own lies.

Like The Closet Maoist Bisexual in the WH ???
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Lima, PeruPosts: 2,986 Senior Member
    Classic "foot on the mouth". Never mess publicly with veterans, specially if you didn't served and you're looking for a public position. Leave that to history books and military analysts.

He has self-labeled as an idiot to his own political customers.....to bad; his detractors must be smiling.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Dellrose TNPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    Trump was a draft dodger, just like Klinton, Karl Rove, Newt Gingrich, and Sylvester Stallone!

FIFY!
    Jerry
  • samzheresamzhere Banned HoustonPosts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Trump will appear on O'Reilly tonight, Mon July 20.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Podunk, Tx.Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Besides the stupid things that Trump seemingly can't stop saying, my big objection to him is that he's big on saying what he's going to do, but has yet to say how he's going to do it. Sounds like a true politician to me.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Living in a van, down by the river.Posts: 14,034 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Besides the stupid things that Trump seemingly can't stop saying, my big objection to him is that he's big on saying what he's going to do, but has yet to say how he's going to do it. Sounds like a true politician to me.
    He said when he builds the wall/border he'll send Mexico the bill.

Said nothing about how he's going to collect or what he'll do if they use the bill for TP, but he'll bill them. He complains about China undercutting us, then sells Chinese goods.
    I'm just here for snark.
    Trump is in my top 3 (Rick "Dreamer" Perry is not ) (Lindsey Grahamnesty is not ) (Paul is not) (Jeb is not)
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    Well, that really doesn't matter -- it's okay for many to have not served in the military, and then to criticize military decisions and such.

But Trump really stepped in it this time and he can never retreat from that idiotic statement.

I'm predicting that his ratings in the polls will now plummet and he'll soon be forgotten. Jerk.

I have mixed emotions about that Sam. I knew plenty of guys that didn't want to go that got drafted and went. I wasn't crazy about going because I had friends 3 or 4 years older than me that went and came back and told the rest of us DON"T GO, STAY IN SCHOOL and GET A DEGREE!!! Maybe it will be over before you get through. I myself wasn't exactly jumping on the band wagon to sign up and go, but after 2 years of college taking "Stay Out of the Army 101" I was so sick of it I layed out of school with the fatalistic attitude, "If they get me that's just tuff!" I laid out of school the fall semester of 1969 working and had a chance to do some traveling. I figured maybe I'd luck out. But in early October, my luck ran out and I got my notice to go for a physical.

The day before that letter came the office of the company I worked for called me and told me they wanted me to go work in Africa for a couple months to finish a job. I was supposed to go down to the office on Friday afternoon and discuss their plans for me. Then Friday morning the mail came and their was my draft notice. So after lunch I went down to the office with it in my hand. Mr. Payne, the office manager looked at the letter and said, let me call Mrs. Koenig (The good looking Blonde in charge of the draft Board in the area) and see what she has to say. He told me to go on home and he'd call me when he found something out. Later that afternoon they called me and told me to come down Saturday morning.

When I got there that morning they sat me down and gave me their spill. They had planned on getting me there by November 14. They moved it up two weeks to November 1st and said for me to go take my physical and see what happened. I later found that this was Mrs. Koenig's suggestion.

I figured they would just draft me and had the brilliant idea of trying to join the Navy before I got drafted. The Navy Recruiter told me he had a long line ahead of me and the Army would draft me before they got to me. I had a friend that had been drafted into the Navy in 1967 just two years before. Then I tried the Air Force, same thing. So I had the bright idea if I joined the Army they would treat me better than a draftee, so I went into the Army Recruiter's office to see if I could get a better deal. Of course those guys are like car salesmen and they can sell a dumb kid anything, so I bit. The recruiter gave me a letter to give to the sergeant in charge when I got there.

I went to San Antonio on a Bus to the place they were giving the physicals. There was a kid on the bus sitting by me about 4 inches shorter than me and about 4 inches bigger in the waste. He was pretty pudgy. He probably outweighed me 20-40 pounds maybe. When we went in for our written tests I gave the head sergeant the letter the recruiter gave me and he left and came back with more tests to give me. So I took an extra regimen of tests.

Anyway, all for naught. That afternoon I went through the physical line and passed everything A-1 up to the end, the head doc at the end signed my papers and I was processing out when the guy, a Navy Corpsman, doing extra duty, stamping my papers looked at them and went back to the head doc. They talked about 3 minutes and he came back. He says, "Mr. Walker, you're about 5 pounds over our ideal weight and you have a slight rash on your arms. (Hell I worked in a steam dredge engine room as a fireman where it was about 120 Fah renheit down between the two boilers, you're gonna have a heat rash.) We're giving you a couple months to get in better shape and we will re-physical you. It's amazing what a little stroke will getcha. Mr. Bill Bauer, the owner and President of Bauer Dredging Company, was real close to Not only LBJ but Tricky Dicky as well. Meanwhile, I'm totally stunned. When we got back on the bus, the kid sitting next to me wasn't real happy. He passed with flying colors but I'm 5 pounds over weight??? Make's sense to me!!! Now my head is really spinning and I'm still not believing this.

A couple days later they send me to the Liberian Consulate in Houston and I get a work visa stamped in my brand new passport that took about three days to get to me. Then they send me to Corpus Christi to a Federal Judge who gives me a paper he signed saying I have permission to leave the country. In between all this I'm getting so many shots I thought my arms would fall off they hurt so bad.

Then the day finally comes and off I fly to Monrovia Liberia, West Africa (Yeah right in the middle of the present Ebola epedimic). I figured I'd be at Fort Polk or Fort Sill by now. When I get there I'm the only white guy in a sea of people and one black guy comes up to me and says, "You Missa Walka?" and i said yes. He and his swamper grab my bags and walk me to an open WWII Vintage Jeep and off we go on a wild ride through Thick Jungle on a raggedy paved bumpy road.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Continued:

It's 45 miles from Roberts Field to Monrovia (it took awhile)and all you can smell is Rubber and Raw Rubber smells like Excrement. When we get to town we go into the Port of Monrovia's gates and down to the boat landing. The driver calls on a hand held radio and the dredge sends a boat. I'm sitting there watching this dredge smoke. It looks like all three of its big engines are SHOT! And guess what? I find out that afternoon I was RIGHT!!!

This is about noon. I get there and they tell me to go on watch at 3 PM shift change. I'm ragged out so they take me to a room and give me a bunk and I fall asleep for about two hours. Then somebody comes to my room and wakes me up. Time to go to work. As I'm walking down the deck every time one of the engines hits a lick there's this shock wave of oil mist rolling out the engine room windows. I'm talking LOTS of blowby here.That night, about half way through the shift we have to shut down the Starboard Generator, 1300 HP Nordberg straight eight, due to high exhaust temperature and pull a head. Another valve burned. That's a 4 hour job. This is November 1. This goes on until Christmas. If it's not the starboard generator, it's the port. If it's not a generator it's the main engine a 4200 HP Cooper Bessemer LSV-16 turbo charged. And on a couple of days it's more than one engine.These engines have been pushed to their limit and now they were a ragged mess. The port generator vibrated so bad the Sea Tight door latches vibrated like tuning forks.

Anyway, on Monday morning November 15, I get up and go eat breakfast in the galley. They fed great. Steak and eggs were a usual for breakfast and we had all the Argentine beef we could eat every month. As I was sitting there waiting on the cook to bring me a steak and eggs, one of the mates on my shift comes in with the days paper. There was a picture of a crashed KLM Royal Dutch Airways Boeing 707 on the front page. It had crashed on approach to Lagos Nigeria killing everybody. This mate was a guy named Wade Weatherford, a good guy I'll never forget,and he says, THAT was your flight. OMG! It was. That was one of two common routes from New York to Monrovia, you went from New York to Madrid Spain, and from Spain to Lagos, then I think Abijon, then Monrovia. We had landed in Lagos two weeks before. And my flight had been moved up two weeks to the day, and this happened two weeks to the day later. So I could have very well been on that flight.

The rest of my stay there I was all the time checking to see if there was a ship with state rooms available going to New Orleans or Houston. No such luck. Anyway, after two months of pulling hot heads off hot engines at least every other day, Now these heads Ain't Little, I was pretty worn out. I started to think Vietnam might not have been so bad after all. Of course I was thinking out my butt.

I was, according to that letter signed by that federal judge, suppose to be back in country on Midnight Jan. 1, 1970. On Christmas morning we shut the dredge down and towed it back inside the jetties and tied it up at a dock. The Superintendent and Captain had rented a bar for a Christmas party. There was all kinds of food and beer and all sorts of alcohol, and Women, hehehehehe, Hey I was 21 years old, Unmarried footloose and fancy free. I had a ah memorable occasion. What a Merry Christmas.

But like Cinderella, at midnight, (the morning of the 26th) the horses turned to rats and the carriage turned into a pumpkin. Somebody came to our room and woke us up at 6 Am. I was pretty hungover and dizzy. But, when you dance, you gots to pay da fiddlers. So up you go. We ate breakfast and the tow boat came and latched on to the dredge and pushed us back out a couple of miles to the Jetty area on location. The dredge dropped her spuds and we started up one of the main generators and shut down the emergency and got ready to dig again.

What a day! When a big dredge 185 feet long is digging, swinging back and forth, it's rocking and rolling pretty good and NOT GOOD for a hungover engine room crew. I could hardly stand to go down below decks to check the engines and make my rounds. All day long I was praying those junky worn out engines would hold together another day til I felt better. I must have been living right that day, because we didn't have any big problems.

I couldn't wait til I got off and could crash in my bunk. But when that time finally came I had something important to do. I had to talk on the radio to Mr. Payne. I had 5 days to be home and I hadn't heard squat from the office. So I went to the Radio Room at about 8 PM when they were calling in the dredge report and when the civil engineer got through he told them I needed to talk to Mr. Payne. Mr. Payne came on the radio and I told him "Mr. Payne, remember I need to be back in the US before midnight the first. He says, "Oh yeah, Let me give Mrs. Koenig a call. The next evening they call me to the radio room and Mr. Payne says I'm good til April 1st.

Wow! Just like that. One call and my draft status changed. The first week of January, President Tricky Dicky signed the Draft Lottery law and they drew the numbers according to your birthday. Mine was like 337. I didn't hear form the draft board again until about two months before it was dissolved in 1972. And that was to remind me to keep up with my address changes better. So I never went. I figured they'd had their chance at me, so I wasn't giving them anymore. We had gotten a two month job extension so we dredged until April and then pulled up on the beach and overhauled all three engines. I went home in June and went to work on another dredge, then went back to college in September. That was a wild 15 months off from school.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Global NomadPosts: 6,071 Senior Member
    HvyMax wrote: »
    So his only accomplishment was getting shot down and being a good prisoner. He has been about as successful as a politician as well.

You're a ing fool. That is all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • BufordBuford Senior Member CA. Beach citiesPosts: 6,721 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    Well, that really doesn't matter -- it's okay for many to have not served in the military, and then to criticize military decisions and such.

The way I see it. If you haven't worn the uniform criticize the military if you must but the individual is off limits.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    McCain EXEMPLIFIES what is wrong with the GOP OF THE LAST 20 YEARS ...
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Somewhere north of MozambiquePosts: 6,637 Senior Member
    McCain EXEMPLIFIES what is wrong with the GOP OF THE LAST 20 YEARS ...

While I may (or may not) agree, you've finally managed to post something that doesn't make you sound like the same sort of idiot as the guy you're supporting. Well done!:up:

I don't know if this is the 'blind chicken' syndrome, but I'm waiting to be impressed. Don't disappoint.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member SMIBville(Southern MD)Posts: 1,826 Senior Member
    Well it seems that once again the media did a little selective editing to harm Trump. Trump did say that McCain was a hero for how he handled himself in captivity but that he prefers heroes that didn't get captured. Kinda like Patton telling the soldier that the idea isn't to die for your country. The idea is to make the other bastards die for theirs!
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Somewhere north of MozambiquePosts: 6,637 Senior Member
    Well it seems that once again the media did a little selective editing to harm Trump. Trump did say that McCain was a hero for how he handled himself in captivity but that he prefers heroes that didn't get captured. Kinda like Patton telling the soldier that the idea isn't to die for your country. The idea is to make the other bastards die for theirs!

Wow, somebody running on the right side of the ticket being (sort of) misquoted. You can imagine my surprise.:roll: The man is an attention whore and self promoter extraordinaire. The fact that we're even talking about him has my head spinning. I just don't understand this...have we fallen so far?

Somewhere, P.T. Barnum is smiling.
    George Carlin
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    Well it seems that once again the media did a little selective editing to harm Trump. Trump did say that McCain was a hero for how he handled himself in captivity but that he prefers heroes that didn't get captured.!

I saw and heard the video clip of that and came away with different thoughts, one has to take in the visual and verbal clues as well.

He meant the hero status was just stuck on Cmdr. McCain because he was captured; then he tried to lessen the effect with the after thought about liking
    those that did not get captured.

He stepped on his pork and knew it and tried spin control.

You know this too and are just trying to manipulate the story to your point of contention, whatever that may be.
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Tarpon Springs FLPosts: 1,281 Senior Member
    McCain and Graham picked the fight with Trump, they Lost! Say what you want about Trumps bombastic nature, bottom line is he doesn't take
    crap from anybody. The Republican establishment personified by these two RINO's, have stood by and watched our Marxist leader
    overpower and destroy this Country as founded in our Constitution.Republicans have cowered to this President, Trump has simply struck a nerve
    within the electorate by telling the press and the Republican establishment to Stuff IT. Hopefully, some of the other Republicans will take notice
    of Trumps success and quit listening to the paid political class (Carl Rove types ) and tell the Lib's to Stuff It! JMO

Edit: Rick Perry walking out of a building the other day and a reporter sticks a microphone in his face and ask
    " do you think gay's are born that way" Perry, caught some what off guard by the question makes a feeble attempt
    to sound enlightened all the while with the deer in the headlights look on his face. If his response was more Trump
    like, your a dump a$$, and kept on walking, perhaps he would be doing better than 8%
    104RFAST wrote: »
    McCain and Graham picked the fight with Trump, they Lost! Say what you want about Trumps bombastic nature, bottom line is he doesn't take
    crap from anybody. The Republican establishment personified by these two RINO's, have stood by and watched our Marxist leader
    overpower and destroy this Country as founded in our Constitution.Republicans have cowered to this President, Trump has simply struck a nerve
    within the electorate by telling the press and the Republican establishment to Stuff IT. Hopefully, some of the other Republicans will take notice
    of Trumps success and quit listening to the paid political class (Carl Rove types ) and tell the Lib's to Stuff It! JMO

By that measure, we're good to go with Christie as well. No thanks.

That's (partly) why I like Walker so much. He's done the 'pound sand' thing with the media, unions and the left (but I repeat myself) and hasn't resorted to the circus sideshow act persona.
    George Carlin
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Tarpon Springs FLPosts: 1,281 Senior Member
    All I'm saying is Trump and his "Circus act" has exposed a deep open wound within the electorate which a guy like Walker could at some point
    take the ball and run with it. I hope the first debates really thin the herd and Walker shows his stuff. In the mean time I'll enjoy the Trump circus
    If ANY GOP Candidate takes the Trump ball on illegal immigration & related crime , and he remotely sounds a little to the right of Bill Maher on Social Issues and is right on RTKBA & 2A then I will champion him too...
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Under a logPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Minorities of all stripes are hip now and have oodles of gravitas & street cred ...

Gravitas. You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.

Gravitas: high seriousness (as in a person's bearing or in the treatment of a subject)

It is also a word that describes something your posts lack on political subjects. Sayin'.
    And if you are using it as sarcasm, you are overusing it, thus dulling its effect. Sayin' again.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    But do you agree that America is a Minority centric Country in the 21st century and Minority issues rise to top priority on any subject (Especially Social Issues and Issues related to justice & injustice ?
    But do you agree that America is a Minority centric Country in the 21st century and Minority issues rise to top priority on any subject (Especially Social Issues and Issues related to justice & injustice ?

Well, then a really, really rich white guy would definitely be the answer...I guess? :uhm:

The only political question that Trump will be the answer to is: "Who is the biggest fool in the presidential race?"

He knows how to appeal to his followers, he's mildly entertaining, he obviously understands business, which also entails some of the things that go into the job of president. But, believe me once the honeymoon is over, you're going to regret the wedding ceremony.
    George Carlin
  • bisleybisley Senior Member East TexasPosts: 10,815 Senior Member
    Good post. :up:
    WE'RE DOWN 17%??? :yikes:

Screw that, TRUMP FOR PRESIDENT!!!!! :roll2:
    George Carlin
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Snake, you have PM !
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    Gays represent less than 3% of Americas populace (Including uncounted illegals)
    Gays represent less than 3% of Americas populace (Including uncounted illegals)

58% of people polled wear blue jeans on a regular basis.
    George Carlin