Home Main Category Personal Defense

‘I will light you up!': Texas officer threatened Sandra Bland with Taser during traff

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/07/21/much-too-early-to-call-jail-cell-hanging-death-of-sandra-bland-suicide-da-says/

Cop on Admin suspension. He did not have the right to tell her to put out her cigarette while she was in her car according to experts. Then the argument started. She apparently killed herself in jail.

2 videos here, the traffic stop is first, all she was getting was a warning, then the :fan::fan::yikes:

Some say the cop baited her and escalated the situation, what say you? He was polite until she refused to put out her smoke, but..........................................I understand why they tell you to extinguish one if they think you may use it on them in the eye or something. This cop on a power trip or just being cautious?

Thing is he was almost finished and ready for her to sign the ticket, what happened to set him and her off so bad? She had an attitude, but not until he told her to put out the cigarette.

Being a former cigarette smoker (now a E cig user) being pulled over would make me wanna a smoke real bad, but I would have put it out if asked/told and made any complaints I had later.

She apparently kicked him at some point, I think, CNN did not show that part and as usual cherry picked the video they showed on TV, this one is uncut??? Still it didn't have to end this way at the traffic stop or in jail, which I'm sure from what I know she killed herself.

That female cop didn't arrive until it already was going down and the woman was right she did not "See it all".

Damn, upsetting all the way around. I give neither a pass on this. Maybe if he would have said the smoke bothers me or I'm allergic and I am only gonna give you a warning ticket she would have complied instead of an order??????

TX Rangers and FBI are investigating and I believe they will get to the bottom of it all. Prosecutor said a Grand Jury will get the case , I assume the part after she was in jail or maybe all of it, I dunno.
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Yes, in her car secure in her possessions and personal effects etc, they can't tell her not to smoke.
    I would not have done any such thing.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,826 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    If she killed herself in jail...she had other issues besides being told to put out a smoke.

Yes but it was his power trip that escalated the situation. All he had to do was hand her the warning and send her on her way. Instead he decided to issue some random order for her to grovel before his authority. I hope her family gets millions!!!
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    HvyMax wrote: »
    Yes but it was his power trip that escalated the situation. All he had to do was hand her the warning and send her on her way. Instead he decided to issue some random order for her to grovel before his authority. I hope her family gets millions!!!

Yes. We should punish all the taxpayers for this idiots power trip. (Sarcasm)

They deserve a fair settlement, and the officer in question should suffer a civil suit for every penny he has, and be fired.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    News just said the cop had been on his current job less than a year with DPS. I think they will terminate his employment.

One other question is why did he take her out of his dash-cam view, to get outta the street for safety or for more nefarious reasons?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    I think the cop definitely over reacted to nothing. He had a power trip for sure. She on the other hand is another black that is empowered by Obama. The cop may have a family too, so they shouldn't be punished for his stupidity. Law Enforcement definitely is not his forte.

If she killed herself she had other issues. That wasn't the cop's fault. I doubt she was murdered. She may have killed herself eventually anyway. But he could have rid himself of any of this responsibility if he'd used a cooler head. What some Law Enforcement Officers need to learn is there is a higher authority over them and they need to try very hard to keep their ego out of the job.

I do believe Obama is partially responsible for incidents like this. He has divided this country worse than it's ever been. We will be a lot better off when he is out of office. Now there's an understatement for you. :tooth:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    What I heard is that she was stopped for failing to signal a lane change. Why even bother to stop someone for something like that?

I think the cop screwed up.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    What I heard is that she was stopped for failing to signal a lane change. Why even bother to stop someone for something like that?

I think the cop screwed up.
    Simple. It is a fishing stop. Use whatever you can to justify the stop, and hope something else comes of it. Maybe a warrant for driver, strong odor of alcohol, strong odor of whatever. This prick had no business stopping her. That being said she killed herself, as cpj said. That is on her, but this was another straw I am sure.
  • N320AWN320AW Senior Member Posts: 648 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    The cops treatment of her had no bearing on her removing herself from the gene pool. If that's all it takes to snap, she's already crazy.
    Not saying the cop was right, just Sayin she wasn't either.

I totally agree. Her sister described her as being "enthusiastic" or some other adjective. Kind of a way to defend her erratic behavior on tape, I think.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,072 Senior Member
    There are questions about her "killing herself" now. And rumors of another suspicious suicide in that jail recently
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 25,036 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    I do believe Obama is partially responsible for incidents like this. He has divided this country worse than it's ever been. We will be a lot better off when he is out of office. Now there's an understatement for you. :tooth:

WORD.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,514 Senior Member
    She should have left her attitude in Chicago!!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    She should have left her attitude in Chicago!!

No kiddin, best to comply with a cop who has you pulled over who has a badge and gun and complain later.

Whole thing should have never escalated like it did and I blame them both. She should have put out the Cig and he he shouldn't have told her to, if that makes sense.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Not making excuses for the cop, but, I heard today one reason to have her put out the cigarette is so that he could better smell her breath for alcohol. Still doesn't mean that her suicide is their fault. What a waste.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    It's beginning to sound like the girl was at least a little bit of a nutcase. 30-something partially-healed cuts on one arm, a history of depression, and possibly one previous suicide attempt.
    Jerry
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    My Dad drilled me very early about responsibility, once you put someone in custody, (British) charge, the jailer, is responsible for that prisoner's well being !!!

Necessary medical care, nutrition, safety.
    It is always way better for a LEO to palm off custody of prisoners and to go as far as to forgo all arrest credit as soon as possible in order to avoid trouble !!!

My Dads favorite account was of a NY State Public Safety Officer, he was concerned about so called "Nut cases"' attacking him.

My Dad reminded this guy, "These so called "Nut cases" are wards of NY State, and as patients of the NYS Department of Mental hygiene, not responsible for their actions !
    So, deserving or not, hurting them was career suicide !!!!
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996