Home Main Category Personal Defense

Another theater shooting. This time in the Big Easy

GunnerK19GunnerK19 Senior MemberPosts: 1,095 Senior Member
I'm a Conservative. How conservative? Only Alex P. Keaton has me beat.

Taurus 605 .357, Ruger .45 Vaquero, Colt frontier commemorative .22 SA, Pietta 1860 .44 snubnose

Replies

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,073 Senior Member
    Prayers for the wounded and for the families of the deceased
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,286 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Prayers for the wounded and for the families of the deceased

Yes, Just Prayed.:angel2:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    Prayers for the victims and their families.:angel2::angel2:
    This is getting bad for gun owners. I really don't know the answer.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,365 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    I really don't know the answer.

Ban Movie theatres......................

:angel2: for those involved and their families.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,826 Senior Member
    I have a feeling that these occurrences will escalate until guns are banned!!! These crises will not go to waste!!!
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Just read an article that said Oblivits largest regret is that he could not impose gun control. Many attempts not much success. The latest shooting in LAFAYETTE, La. is terrible and the people hurt and killed deserve our prayers. My largest regret is that our "law makers" haven't been able to stop our "Liar and Chief". :nono: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    :angel2::angel2: to the victims and their families.

Shooter drifter of some kind with disguises found in his motel room.......weirdo fer sure.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    :angel2: Prayers for victims and their families.

The theater was a gun free zone. Gun free zones are shooting galleries for people bent on mayhem.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    Usual claptrap about gun control..............CNN and His Greatness who was clairvoyant to talked with the BBC about gun controls hours before the shootin........................
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    :angel2: Prayers for victims and their families.

The theater was a gun free zone. Gun free zones are shooting galleries for people bent on mayhem.

I was thinking the same thing. Took my wife and daughter to a movie 2 nights ago, packing of course, signs everywhere saying no guns allowed. I figure if they can't protect me and my family I have the RIGHT to carry in this place, of course discreetly. Prayer out to family of all the victims.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    I know it's breaking the rules, but I make an especial point of carrying a concealed weapon whenever I go to a busy gun-free zone like a mall or many theaters. Signage to the contrary be darned. Same with your private property rights - what you don't know won't hurt you. The only time I obey a gun free zone is when I expect to be scanned or wanded like at an airport. otherwise, it is appropriate to carry a concealed weapon wherever you are likely to come into the presence of any other person.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    Fox News just reported that the shooter was denied a concealed carry permit in Alabama...so the gun control crazies don't have that to spin.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Or a rabid animal, people are not the only danger, animals escaped from a Zoo, or a private collection, you can run into a dangerous animal walking to the garbage disposal area.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • Gator MonroeGator Monroe Banned Posts: 655 Senior Member
    Wonder if it was another "When Liberals Attack" event (if it shakes out that he was a Clintonista from way back and a volunteer for Edwards back in the day)
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Thing that I don't understand is that the theater was a "gun free zone" so how the heck did this guy get his gun inside there? I mean, putting up those signs creates an invisible barrier to keep creeps from bringing in guns, kind of like a Trek force shield, right?
    samzhere wrote: »
    Thing that I don't understand is that the theater was a "gun free zone" so how the heck did this guy get his gun inside there? I mean, putting up those signs creates an invisible barrier to keep creeps from bringing in guns, kind of like a Trek force shield, right?

There will be a need for larger signs, more of them and more gun control laws. It's the only thing that will stop these senseless shootings.
    There will be a need for larger signs, more of them and more gun control laws. It's the only thing that will stop these senseless shootings.

Absolutely! Passing a law making it a crime to shoot people dead will put a halt to this. Oh, wait... it's already illegal to do this.

I guess that's what makes criminals, hey? They don't obey the law. Duh.
    When they figure this out the end solution will be no guns in the hands of civilians.
    When they figure this out the end solution will be no guns in the hands of civilians.

Well, naturally that's the Obama dream. Which is what I fear. But doing so would take a huge law change and I will thankfully be long dead before that. Maybe.
    samzhere wrote: »
    Well, naturally that's the Obama dream. Which is what I fear. But doing so would take a huge law change and I will thankfully be long dead before that. Maybe.

I have contemplated selling many of mine for just this very reason.
    Living the dream in California, fornication is legal, defending yourself by means of concealed carry is not.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Living the dream in California, fornication is legal, defending yourself by means of concealed carry is not.

Sure it is all depends where you live.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,616 Senior Member
    In what limited amount of news I've been able to garner, I don't think there's any way this crime could have been prevented. His application for a CCL had been denied in both GA and AL. He was carrying an illegal weapon. He was crazy, but apparently not crazy enough to be committed, especially committed against his will. Anyway, there isn't a suitable treatment for mental illness, we're not capable of doing this. Confidentiality laws being what they are with mental health workers, even if he had been seen, I'm not sure anything different would have taken place.

He's the kind of obnoxious public nut we cops dealt with a LOT, always offending and loud an attention-needing but mostly not violent, just a pain in the ass who protests everything to draw attention to himself. I believe he ran for some office in either Columbus, GA or Phenix City, AL without success.

We LEOs have seen this type before he killed people hundreds of times. There is simply no way to be able to tell at what point the guy went from merely being a pain in the ass annoyance to being a terrorist who kills people. He was a nut, but not criminally insane. He showed a consciousness of guilt when he attempted to flee with the crowd until confronted by police, who were only a minute away. Then he killed himself. I'd like to have known why he did what he did. He showed more of a consciousness of guilt than that guy in Colorado who didn't attempt to escape (so far as I know) and that guy (Richard Reeves?) wasn't found to be criminally insane either. Both are evil.

The CCL laws worked in this instance, he was denied a permit; it was the criminal who refused to comply. Anyone but a fool realizes that a nut with a gun in a "gun free zone" who wants to is going to get a gun, even if guns were illegal...which they were, to this nut with a history of family violence.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Gator MonroeGator Monroe Banned Posts: 655 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »

I'm 6 monthss into my renewal of my second stint of a 2 year California CCW ,first 2 years I carried a USGI "War Trophy" bring back WW2 1911A1 ( Now carrying a Gen 3 Glock 19 )
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,697 Senior Member
    I get that. Should you need to use your gun in a gun free zone though, wouldn't that wreak havoc on you life as well?

Absolutely! But you will be alive to be havoced..........
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    I get that. Should you need to use your gun in a gun free zone though, wouldn't that wreak havoc on you life as well?

That would depend on the outcome if you saved lives I don't think they would dare convict you.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,616 Senior Member

Likely not. I don't see how it could, since it's at worst a misdemeanor. Not wreaking havoc. So long as the use of force is justified.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    I have never heard of misdemeanor gun possession / illegal use of firearms, it may exist, I simply don't know of it.

IMHE, so called firearms crimes are usually prosecuted as a felonies or not prosecuted at all, hence why many actual felons are not prosecuted for NFA violations or possession of firearms by a felon, those charges routinely dropped pursuing major charges, they are not wasting time pursuing misdemeanor charges in a raft of felonies.

Most people charged with firearms violations are only facing firearms / felony firearms charges and get 5 years or better like Bernie Goetz, charged with illegal possession and CCW of a firearm, not charged with the actual killing.
    There was a horrific mass murder in GA the other day where two siblings stabbed 5 other members of their family to death. 2 and 1/2 the number killed in that LA theater shooting, something about a Cinema and School that makes more headlines than "Everyday" murders.

Not trying to take away from what happened in LA, just an observation.
    Look at the Los Angeles bank robbery, there are no misdemeanor charges in such cases.
    Felony charges only, they don't waste time prosecuting or mixing misdemeanor crimes with felonies, it just is not normally done, oh lets give you three life sentences back to back, no possibility of parole, and let's tack on 8 misdemeanor convictions !!
    Seriously ?