FR Revolver to 500 Yards!

HogginHoggin MemberPosts: 413 Member
Recap on what exactly the Franken-Ruger is:
The Franken-Ruger is a free floated barrel that is running through an aluminum shroud. The shroud gives you a place to rest the front part of the handgun that does not change point of impact down range. It also lets you spread out your base (distance between front and rear supports) which makes field shooting so much easier.
The majority of the Franken-Rugers I build also include a muzzle brake which reduces muzzle flip and recoil greatly.

Is this gun for the traditional revolver shooter...nope...does it shoot good and is it easy to shoot under field conditions...YES! and thats the point! It makes shooting under field conditions easier. Am I advocating that you stretch the distance on big game with a 357...nope..but it sure is fun on vermin. The 44 mag of 45 Colt versions can be pushed farther on big game if thats your desire.

The entire base gun is gone through to ensure we have a solid foundation for our build. Anything that needs corrected or adjusted is done prior to the build.

Ernie Bishop finally got the chance to push the Franken-Ruger to 500 yards. He was using a Leupold 2.5-8 handgun scope. Load was 170 Sierra over H110. The ammo was loaded by Frank Bliss.

Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcyPO0nPAf0

One of his 500 yard groups.

EB%20FR%20500_zpsrpfmepl7.jpg

Here is the video where I shot the Franken-Ruger to 300 yards with a Bushnell Elite 2-6 handgun scope with a 125 XTP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFs2TkIkTeE

Here is the video of me shooting PDogs out to just under 400 yards with the 357 Frankn-Ruger and to 200 yards with the 44 mag Franken-Ruger with a 4x Leupold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0KHi80vCus

This is the 350 yard group I shot with the 125 XTP.

image_zps7qi9frcw.jpg

Ernie's Franken-Ruger

image_zps85f55198.jpg

My Franken-Ruger 357

image.jpg1_zpskcz9i7qm.jpg

My Franken-Ruger 44 mag

image.jpg14_zpshskfdrrz.jpg

Well we have proven again that these shoot great. We now have several customers running these with great results as well. They have shown repeatable accuracy at distance.

My two Franken-Rugers are always available at the shop for people to try out.

Thank you for taking your time to look at all the evidence.
:applause:

Love doing the "impossible" with a handgun!

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,439 Senior Member
    Very nice!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    I really like what you are doing with that platform. Sort of like the Dan Wesson but free floated instead of tensioned. Seeing these is kind of reinspiring me on the revolver platform. I might have to order a few barrel blanks after I wrap up a few projects. Something like this on a 460 S&W would be really awesome!!! Where in VA are you? I'd love to come by and check out the toys.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
    Have you considered using a barrel nut so barrels would be swappable? A 454 Super Redhawk would respond nicely to this treatment as well. Making the barrels swappable would also make experimenting with different twist rates easy as well which is very handy when experimenting with such things.
  • HogginHoggin Member Posts: 413 Member
    Mathews va. 1.5 hrs from Richmond.

Barrels are changeable via the patented shroud system.

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,356 Senior Member
    Amazing shots. Those are some cool revolvers. Great work!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    About 2 1/2 hours from here. I'm 15 minutes across the 301 bridge in MD. Wouldn't be a bad side trip from Williamsburg. Now that my kids are older I wouldn't have to stay at Buch Gardens with them so it might be dooable. Being where you are the internet is definitely your friend. Do you have a range onsite? You should probably try hosting a few events that could draw people from the Carolinas and MD.
    I have a range...I have hosted events.

Most of my work comes in via ups and fedex

I am also very close to heavily populate areas....I do quite well

Do you use slower powders to make the most of the barrels and have you noticed any flame cutting issues? We experimented pretty extensively with cylinder gaps and forcing cone shapes in attempts to mitigate this. One thing we did on particularly bad cases was make a hardened insert/shield for the area. High speed photography of the flame front from a particular load coming from a short test barrel really gives you a perspective on forcing cone shape. We found that a slight overcut where the cone opens up a hundredth or so(more like tightening the rear of the cone) before closing down to the rifling tends to channel the blast better sending the sideblast a little more rearward and less directly into the topstrap.
    Hoggin wrote: »
    I have a range...I have hosted events.

Most of my work comes in via ups and fedex

I am also very close to heavily populate areas....I do quite well
    Cool I'll keep an eye out and plan to make it down. Wasn't trying to offend I only looked on the map and you seem to be in an area much like many around here that aren't really on the way to anywhere. Which of course is what enables having your own range and having available critters to shoot.
    HvyMax wrote: »
    Do you use slower powders to make the most of the barrels and have you noticed any flame cutting issues? We experimented pretty extensively with cylinder gaps and forcing cone shapes in attempts to mitigate this. One thing we did on particularly bad cases was make a hardened insert/shield for the area. High speed photography of the flame front from a particular load coming from a short test barrel really gives you a perspective on forcing cone shape. We found that a slight overcut where the cone opens up a hundredth or so(more like tightening the rear of the cone) before closing down to the rifling tends to channel the blast better sending the sideblast a little more rearward and less directly into the topstrap.

We have no flame cutting issues. Slower powders work the brake better

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    It was good times yesterday. Good to get that goal behind me.
    I want to get my drops hardened and shoot multiple distances from Bog Gear in the near future.
    Main thing is I was able to spend the whole day with Erik before he takes off to mission training school in Texas (AIM/Adventures In Missions).
    Frank Bliss (Extremuntion) and Erik spotted for me.
    Wasn't the best of conditions with mirage and such, but found a few sweet spots and ran it to stay in a condition.
    Frank let Erik shoot a plethora of toys afterwards, including a 50 cal bolt rig, a 460 S&W and a 500 S&W.
    Plus, Erik shot his Glock 17 that he got for his 21st Birthday.
    It has been awhile since I have used a LER scope to shoot under pressure at distance. That took some getting used to before I felt comfortable.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    My goal was for 2 MOA or under at 500 yards. I believed I should be able to shoot 1 MOA at 500 yards because of the way I shot the two prototype Franken-Ruger's in South Carolina last September. My beliefs were confirmed. If you check load data compared to the MV I am shooting (A moderate load at 1234 fps with the 170 grain Sierra) I am not at max. It is the combination of the quality of the build, the load, the functional capability of the FR to have two point rest with a revolver, the shooter, and the spotter's ability to call correction - A system's approach to accuracy in the field.
    I still plan to take Bog-Gear and run out to 500 yards in 100 yard increments, but I have some other fish to fry before I get to that.
    I ran a clone Charger 22LR out to 500 yards and grouped at every distance earlier last week as well. It shot really well too!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,938 Senior Member
    I really wish you would quit posting pictures of those ugly stupid guns that I detest, hate, abhor, etc. because I really really really don't want one.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    I'm still contemplating one in .45 Colt.

Being as how I'll have a platform now.........

Decisions.........decisions......
    It's just money...you can't take it with you! And we're upgrading machines in the shop as we speak so maybe they will shoot even better!

:iwo:

​Zee!
    Do it, do it, do it, do it! :devil::devil:
    Elk creek wrote: »
    ​Zee!
    Do it, do it, do it, do it! :devil::devil:

It'll depend on how well the new Ruger shoots/handles/treats me.
    Many ask about barrel length. Here is a shorter one.

image.jpg2_zpshnskvbkr.jpg

8" barrel

This is one of the original prototypes just cleaned up some as far as machining goes...this gun shoots sub moa.

In it's original form.
    FullSizeRender2_zpsedeee920.jpg

Zee wrote: »
    It'll depend on how well the new Ruger shoots/handles/treats me.
    Hope it sucks :tooth:
    My goal was for 2 MOA or under at 500 yards. I believed I should be able to shoot 1 MOA at 500 yards because of the way I shot the two prototype Franken-Ruger's in South Carolina last September. My beliefs were confirmed. If you check load data compared to the MV I am shooting (A moderate load at 1234 fps with the 170 grain Sierra) I am not at max. It is the combination of the quality of the build, the load, the functional capability of the FR to have two point rest with a revolver, the shooter, and the spotter's ability to call correction - A system's approach to accuracy in the field.
    I still plan to take Bog-Gear and run out to 500 yards in 100 yard increments, but I have some other fish to fry before I get to that.
    I ran a clone Charger 22LR out to 500 yards and grouped at every distance earlier last week as well. It shot really well too!

1moa was pretty standard with the scoped Dan Wesson. You should easily be able to top that with good worked up handloads. Now I am obsessed with a 14" barrel and 330 grn bullets going 1800 fps from a revolver into less than 1 moa at 1000yds just to shut a certain dwarf up for life!!!
    I'm not worried.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,164 Senior Member
    Dopey wrote: »
    I'm not worried.
    Jermanator wrote: »

Yep.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,379 Senior Member
    Now I am obsessed with a 14" barrel and 330 grn bullets going 1800 fps from a revolver into less than 1 moa at 1000yds just to shut a certain dwarf up for life!!!
    Good luck with that
    jbohio wrote: »
    Good luck with that

Simple physics. I'll up my current twist rate by 2". I was already compressed with H110 so another powder might be in order. I have Pac Nor on speed dial but might like a different cut for the cast pistol bullets. 2-3 barrel blanks and some careful work up and this shouldn't be a problem. I hate petulant twerps pissing me off.
    :popcorn:
    Probably a blend of 3-5% little gun to the H110 would get the velocity I want and still be compressed which enhances accuracy. The Dan Wesson should be more than up to it!!! F ing right. Might skip the brake though. They can cause instability on exit and I can handle a little recoil. Sorry for the derail Hoggin.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,164 Senior Member
    [video]
    Ok I have the load and twist rate. Now all I need is the best rifling cut to pull this off. Douglas, Pac Nor and a to be determined barrel manufacturer should make this easy.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,379 Senior Member
    Probably a blend of 3-5% little gun to the H110 would get the velocity I want and still be compressed which enhances accuracy. The Dan Wesson should be more than up to it!!! F ing right. Might skip the brake though. They can cause instability on exit and I can handle a little recoil. Sorry for the derail Hoggin.

Make sure you take video. For posterity.