FR Revolver to 500 Yards!

Replies

• EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Currently, it's pretty good.
    But the thread with a video posted of sumdude splitting his melon with a rifle scope equipped "hand cannon" :julesandvincent: will take. The. Cake.

:roll2:
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,708 Senior Member
    HvyMax wrote: »
    I'll be going with the 320's that I have. I have gotten to 1600 with the10" barrel no problem. My accurate loads with the barrel I have run about 1400. 4-6" of extra barrel open up a few opportunities. An ever so slightly slower powder may give me the 1800 without excess pressure. What I learned playing with the 12ga from hell about slower powders giving higher velocities with lower pressures has me thinking this could be dooable. I have my bullets segregated into batches within .02 grain my brass segregated and ready to trim and neck turn. Once I work up a 1/2-1/4 moa load then it will be off to Peacemaker to lob them into the tightest group I can manage.

So your getting 454 casull energies with a bullet that's .023" smaller in diameter than the casull with less pressure?
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    This has been a fun thread.

Some thoughts
    I believe Ernie, and Hoggin to be in the "right" so to speak. Ernie has clearly established his bona fides.

But.....

After the epic pile on, which may well be deserved, I almost hope heavy does it. It would be priceless to hear the deafening silence.

I have no dog in this fight, and the discussion is well above my pay grade.

The results will be entertaining regardless of the outcome.
    It's because I hate Trump.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,100 Senior Member
    I have my own ideas of what I would do to go to 1000 yards with a revolver.
    Don't be surprised if I seriously attempt it in the future.
    HM may accomplish his goal.
    Honestly, I do not see him shooting a 1 MOA group at a grand.
    I would be surprised and amazed if he did it.
    I also doubt he can shoot sustained 1/4 MOA & 1/2 MOA groups at 100 yards with his revolver.
    I have been proven wrong before, I am sure I will be proven wrong in the future.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • HogginHoggin Member Posts: 413 Member
    :blah:
    :applause:

Love doing the "impossible" with a handgun!
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,351 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    So your getting 454 casull energies with a bullet that's .023" smaller in diameter than the casull with less pressure?
    In fairness, I believe that since the Dan Wesson cylinders are longer, he is able to seat his bullets further out and get essentially .445 Supermag ballistics.
    He can't get superman velocity without a superman Dan Wesson....

I just want to learn more about this mixing of powders.

• shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Hoggin wrote: »
    ....I just want to learn more about this mixing of powders.

10111991macbeth-act-iv-scene-i-the-witches-in-their-cavern-gathered-around-the-boiling-cauldron-posters.jpg

"Double,double toil and trouble;
    Fire burn and cauldron bubble."

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,708 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    In fairness, I believe that since the Dan Wesson cylinders are longer, he is able to seat his bullets further out and get essentially .445 Supermag ballistics.

The 22gr of H110 that HM mentioned happens to be my hunting load behind a 312gr hard cast bullet of my making and it chronographs 1260fps out of my 7-1/2" redhawk. I have a hard time seeing where 2-1/2" more barrel, a longer cylinder, and a tighter cylinder gap would bring that up to at least 1600fps.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    He said 1800fps....and something about mixing two powders and a firecracker. :popcorn:

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I'm getting 1300 FPS plus a little from a 6" .45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk with 300 grain gas checked hard casts. It's an extremely uncomfortable load to shoot- - - -had to install a Hogue Monogrip to keep from cutting and bruising my hands. I worked up that load to be a GTFOM backup when I'm hog hunting with a rifle. If I can shoot it minute of porker at 10 yards, I'm very pleased with its performance. Shooting into the next zip code with a revolver, or anything else, for that matter, interests me about as much as watching grass grow.

Of course, I'd love to see video of a guy shooting a cartridge powered by the stuff that comes out of the north end of a southbound Holstein!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,664 Senior Member
    HvyMax wrote: »
    Probably a blend of 3-5% little gun to the H110 would get the velocity I want and still be compressed which enhances accuracy. The Dan Wesson should be more than up to it!!! F ing right. Might skip the brake though. They can cause instability on exit and I can handle a little recoil. Sorry for the derail Hoggin.
    I made my own duplex and triplex powders when I was making homemade M 80s.
    shush wrote: »
    Circle the wagons. :silly::silly:
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    6e73457ffb615120dc30a1aec875e91b.jpg
    To get us back on point. Some dogs were taken at just under 400 yds....love stretching the handguns. There is a video in the first post.

ab325447cf9891baf8a09d5960017543.jpg
    Did some cool stuff with a uberti 45lc too. 101 yds

If he manages 1moa at 1000 yds with that thing I have a prize for him.

c11e26a909e29dd8157e50771c208584.jpg

HM,
    If that muzzle brake causes instability to the bullet on exit, you should probably not even consider a muzzle brake...:popcorn:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    HM,
    If that muzzle brake causes instability to the bullet on exit, you should probably not even consider a muzzle brake...:popcorn:
    Or maybe make sure it's bored on center.....:yousuck:

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    I'm getting 1300 FPS plus a little from a 6" .45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk with 300 grain gas checked hard casts. It's an extremely uncomfortable load to shoot- - - -had to install a Hogue Monogrip to keep from cutting and bruising my hands. I worked up that load to be a GTFOM backup when I'm hog hunting with a rifle. If I can shoot it minute of porker at 10 yards, I'm very pleased with its performance. Shooting into the next zip code with a revolver, or anything else, for that matter, interests me about as much as watching grass grow.

Of course, I'd love to see video of a guy shooting a cartridge powered by the stuff that comes out of the north end of a southbound Holstein!
    Jerry

Them are some stout attention getters Teach has and I fired some years ago from his Ruger. Not something you would wanna shoot a box of 50 of on a range visit.

I used to load my .44 Redhawk with involuntary jaw opening loads when I was younger fer kicks when I still owned a Redhawk.

I gotta say my 629 Classic with the Mono-grip is the most pleasant .44 Mag I've ever owned to shoot.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    shush wrote: »
    10111991macbeth-act-iv-scene-i-the-witches-in-their-cavern-gathered-around-the-boiling-cauldron-posters.jpg

"Double,double toil and trouble;
    Fire burn and cauldron bubble."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_NholHANoY
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,650 Senior Member
    Wow, is this ever a fun thread. I didn't know what I was missing until now.

So, I ran some calculations with JBM from the data provided. I selected the Sierra 300gr .44 Mag JSP Sports Master for the BC values and 1600 FPS MV. I used conditions from my range to make it easier to appreciate the data; temp 90 degrees, humidity 90%, elevation 100ft ASL. One hundred yard zero.

I put in a slight wind of 1MPH full value to just get an idea.

JBM showed a drop of 147MOA and a wind deflection of 16MOA. Now we all know that wind is not constant or even from the same direction over a 1000 yards. 16MOAs at 1000 yards is 160 inches and a bit. I've been shooting at 1000 yards more than most people and I am here to tell you that I cannot reliably detect a wind difference of 1 MPH, especially not at some distance downrange. I can discern a 2-3MPH differential, but I need to have flags along the range and monitor the mirage at several distances. Also, at about 600 yards downrange, that slow bullet will be over 4 stories high in the air (44 feet) and as we all know, wind comes in gradients and while it may be calm on the ground, it gets more active as you go up.

Also, it takes 3.25 seconds for the bullet to get to the target, so conditions may switch between the time the trigger is pulled and the bullet arrives at the target. Maybe the attempt will be made in a tunnel.

Just as a frame of reference, a 1 MOA group properly centered on an F-Class target represents a clean. The number of recorded cleans at 1000 yards in F-TR since the beginning of the discipline (8 years,) is less than 20.

I'm looking forward to the video and the popcorn.
    Peg,
    Glad you joined the thread.
    You shared a wealth of info there.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Hey, Ernie.

I just don't have much interest in revolvers. I have only one now, a stainless Redhawk in .41 Magnum with a 7.5 inch barrel. You know, the one that never existed.

I used to shoot it at 1000 yards but then I decided to try something more challenging and switched to a rifle for that range.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,636 Senior Member
    Pegasus wrote: »
    Hey, Ernie.

I just don't have much interest in revolvers. I have only one now, a stainless Redhawk in .41 Magnum with a 7.5 inch barrel. You know, the one that never existed.

I used to shoot it at 1000 yards but then I decided to try something more challenging and switched to a rifle for that range.

I used to throw baseballs at 1000 yards. Could easily get 5 out of 5 pitches in the strike zone. I decided it was too easy and now only use rocks. It's a bit more challenging, but I can usually get 3 of 5 in the strike zone.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

So, I ran some calculations with JBM from the data provided. I selected the Sierra 300gr .44 Mag JSP Sports Master for the BC values and 1600 FPS MV. I used conditions from my range to make it easier to appreciate the data; temp 90 degrees, humidity 90%, elevation 100ft ASL. One hundred yard zero.

JBM showed a drop of 147MOA and a wind deflection of 16MOA. Now we all know that wind is not constant or even from the same direction over a 1000 yards. 16MOAs at 1000 yards is 160 inches and a bit. I've been shooting at 1000 yards more than most people and I am here to tell you that I cannot reliably detect a wind difference of 1 MPH, especially not at some distance downrange. I can discern a 2-3MPH differential, but I need to have flags along the range and monitor the mirage at several distances. Also, at about 600 yards downrange, that slow bullet will be over 4 stories high in the air (44 feet) and as we all know, wind comes in gradients and while it may be calm on the ground, it gets more active as you go up.

Also, it takes 3.25 seconds for the bullet to get to the target, so conditions may switch between the time the trigger is pulled and the bullet arrives at the target. Maybe the attempt will be made in a tunnel.

Just as a frame of reference, a 1 MOA group properly centered on an F-Class target represents a clean. The number of recorded cleans at 1000 yards in F-TR since the beginning of the discipline (8 years,) is less than 20.

:conehead:

"There goes the neighborhood."

:devil: :silly::silly:

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

Don't you know that facts get in the way of reality ?:jester:

Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,780 Senior Member

42BC324F-10E0-4050-BD81-F0472C7900DD_zpswkxjyuq9.gif
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Don't you know that facts get in the way of reality ?:jester:

Sorry. I don't know what I was thinking.

I was going to remove my offending realist post but what's the use you and some other twerp have copied it in full already.

Oh well. I guess I'll just need to endure the slings and arrows of outrageous braggarts.

ETA: I'm not asking you to believe me; that's why I put all my assumptions so you can run JBM to see where I got my numbers.
    .......Oh well. I guess I'll just need to endure the slings and arrows of outrageous braggarts.

53bea5a9f16f1.preview-620.jpg

:up:

Is that big chief Squats-to-pee?
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Is that big chief Squats-to-pee?

Nope, that theres "Big Chief pain in Neck" !

BTW; any resemblance to forum members past, present or diseased is purely hysterical and unattended consequences!

LoL
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,780 Senior Member

ETA: I'm not asking you to believe me; that's why I put all my assumptions so you can run JBM to see where I got my numbers.

What I was being............

794AE1D8-9D47-41E6-AD16-D879DD963876_zpsczrck6eh.png
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee wrote: »
    What I was being............

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5juo_bfD4DsTdx49xoT2p4Epe5S9gxNiIrfcpsyo2ayugm1TkIA