Home Main Category Personal Defense

School me on 3 point slings.

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 22,232 Senior Member
After learning some of the limitations/downfalls of a 1 point sling, I am thinking of swapping over to 3 pt slings on my HD AR and my AR pistol.

Honestly, other than seeing them on TV, I know nothing about them, and am not sure I've ever actually seen one in person.

So, on to some of the information I am seeking:
Decent (aka affordable) brands?

How are they: Installed; adjusted; utilized?

Things to either look FOR or to look OUT FOR in a 3 pt sling?

Learn me something, oh great collective wisdom :worthy:
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,794 Senior Member
    I ran a Blackhawk Mamba Sling (3-Point) for several years. It wasn't a bad sling. Only gripe was getting in the way of the bolt release on occasion.

I've switched to the V-Tac Sling (2-Point) and never looked back.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,232 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »

I've switched to the V-Tac Sling (2-Point) and never looked back.
    After a small amount of searching online, I apparently misspoke, when I said 3 pt.

So see, I know so little about them I'm not even sure what to call what I want :silly:

Looking at some videos, something along the lines of the V-tac is what I was actually wanting, but I thought that style was called a 3 point sling
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,636 Senior Member
    I run either the V-Tac or the padded V-Tac on pretty much everything these days, including hunting rifles. Best thing out there for a rapid adjustable sling.

Imodify mine to have HK hooks on the end so I can swap them from gun to gun.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Thanks guys :beer:

• tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    I have about six v-tac slings. I will not use anything else.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    I prefer the Blue Force Gear Vicker's sling simply because I don't like the dangling bit on those from V-Tac.

Also, on an entirely "soap box" based reasoning, V-Tac slings are made by Troy.....therefore they're automatically a no go for me.

Vicker's.
    https://www.blueforcegear.com/slings/weapon-slings?limit=100
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    One of the Magpul slings works like the Vickers sling.

I have been using the VTAC sling and love it. I think the next one I buy will be a Magpul just to try.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Thanks guys :beer:

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,763 Senior Member
    Big fan of the Specter Gear 3-points with the Cross-Shoulder Transition (CST) buckle that lets you open enough slack to shoot lefty if you need to, and the Emergency Release Buckle (ERB) that lets you dump the gun in a hurry if you get hung up on something.

The only real negatives are that there's a little more nylon spaghetti in your way when you reload than you'd have on a single point, and for the coppers, it can be a little harder to sweep out back out of harm's way if you needed to go hand's on to cuff someone (best to let your buddies without a long gun handle that).

Usually cops like single points because there's less in their way, they allow or are easier to shoot weak side, and if an officer is breaking out a rifle, the situation is and will remain hairy enough that at least one hand will stay on the gun most of the time to control it. I like a 3-point because I often need my hands free to teach and hate the wiggle-wobbles of a free-hanging single point. In a military or field situation outside of short duration Zero Dark Thirty type raids, you need more comfortable ways to carry a gun than a single point can give you.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,635 Senior Member
    Not to mention that with a single point, your weapon is prone to bang into your junk when your hands are otherwise occupied or smack you in the chin when you kneel down in a hurry....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,794 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Not to mention that with a single point, your weapon is prone to bang into your junk when your hands are otherwise occupied or smack you in the chin when you kneel down in a hurry....

BINGO!!

Single-Point Slings are the Debbil!!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Eli wrote: »
    V-Tac slings are made by Troy.....
    How long has this been the case? I hates the Lon Horiuchi murderer with a passion. I guess I bought my last V-tac.
    Zee wrote: »
    BINGO!!

Single-Point Slings are the Debbil!!!
    This. Hollywood taught me wrong and it hurt.
    How long has this been the case? I hates the Lon Horiuchi murderer with a passion. I guess I bought my last V-tac.

VTac is just the merchandise side of Kyle Lamb's training company Viking Tactics, but all of their products are actually made by Troy. It started as a joint venture with the Alpha Rail (which, IIRC, Lamb came up with).
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,692 Senior Member
    Who makes the 5.11 VTAC sling? I know it's listed as "imported" but does Troy still have a hand in it?

http://www.galls.com/511-tactical-vtac-2-point-padded-sling#.VdpPWZfq6Fo
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Who makes the 5.11 VTAC sling? I know it's listed as "imported" but does Troy still have a hand in it?

I don't know who makes them. I do know I am really starting to like the way the one Magpul MS1 I am using works. It adjusts almost the same only without the dangling strap. The Magpul does not have as much adjustment built into it but it moves plenty even for my lard ass.

Not a great picture but the adjustment buckle is there about the bottom of that box.
    20150821_050427_zpschmwoohr.jpg
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13

On that, I honestly have no idea.