What's your all time favorite center fire hunting rifle?

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 21,803 Senior Member
Mine would probably be my .270 because I've killed the most with it, but it's not my favorite as far as fitting me and shooting good. I really like my SPS 700 30-06. But they both handle well and are accurate. One thing I don't like about the .270 is recoil. That's why I laugh when some call it a Woman's gun. Must be a very big woman. It's a hammer.
Edited

I thought I was putting this in the hunting session. Could a mod move it?
Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 698 Senior Member
    Savage 99 in 308 Winchester, accurate, reliable and quick on a second shot compared to my other right handed bolt guns ( I'm left handed), also it's just an awesome design, and bloody well made
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    waipapa13 wrote: »
    Savage 99 in 308 Winchester, accurate, reliable and quick on a second shot compared to my other right handed bolt guns ( I'm left handed), also it's just an awesome design, and bloody well made

Amen to that, I don't think anybody would argue with that statement. I think that's the most loved lever gun in the History of the world.

That rifle was made for the .308 Winchester cartridge. The .300 Savage was very close to it, but the .308 is just an improvement of it. But I always wanted one in .250 Savage.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • NJSOGNJSOG Member Posts: 101 Member
    Browning BLR takedown in 300 WSM for big big game and a Winchester 1895 in 30-06 for deer hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    NJSOG wrote: »
    Browning BLR takedown in 300 WSM for big big game and a Winchester 1895 in 30-06 for deer hunting.

Two more great ones there.

I don't know why Winchester ever quit making the 95. It would handle the larger cartridges fine.
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 698 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Amen to that, I don't think anybody would argue with that statement. I think that's the most loved lever gun in the History of the world.

That rifle was made for the .308 Winchester cartridge. The .300 Savage was very close to it, but the .308 is just an improvement of it. But I always wanted one in .250 Savage.

I'd like a .250 99 as well, or a savage model 1920 in .250, that would be sweet.
    I have a 22 hi power 99 take down that has a loose barrel which is close to a .250, it's a dream rifle, one day it will be re-barrelled, blued and re stocked in a native hardwood, ballistically it's very interesting to me as a goat and fallow gun.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,354 Senior Member
    Marlin .45-70. In fact, 90% of all the deer I've ever killed were with two Marlin rifles, one in .30-30 and the other in .45-70. It's funny. I've had many deer rifles, but most sat in the safe because of the kind of hunting I did. I hated stand hunting and much preferred to hit the thick stuff and keep moving.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,705 Senior Member
    1982 Rem. 700 ADL bought new in '83. .308 :Win.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,487 Senior Member
    I'm up with the 99f Savage in 308. Mine is toped with a 2x7 Leupold because my eyes don't work well with open sites now. I'm good from 25 feet to 300 yards. I think the only rifle I'd like better would be a pistol grip BLR in 7-08.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 708 Senior Member
    My Marlin 336 in 30-30
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,554 Senior Member
    Model 88 Winchester .308
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Weatherby Vanguard VGX in .30-06 Spr

It ain't the model. It ain't the chambering. But, with that rifle, I took my first whitetail buck......antelope........muley.......elk.......etc.

I haven't used it to hunt in decades. But, it's still my favorite.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,379 Senior Member
    Remington 700 in 7mm08.

- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,672 Senior Member
    "All time" would probably be my 1976 vintage Ruger 77R 7x57 (shooting hand loads with 140gr Rem Core-Lokts)

It has sort of fallen from favor for the last few years because it's in need of a new barrel and accuracy has suffered. A new barrel is planned, once I finish school and get the finances back to where I have the "toy fund" to play with it.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,492 Senior Member
    I have 2, Win. M-70 FTW. 358 Win. & 03-A3 30-06

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,010 Senior Member
    The one I built that's your namesake Snake!! The .284! ( I don't have a Snake.270!!)
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I don't have a favorite. I've used different guns so much, I can't nail one down. I'll get something new, then have to blood it. Have it stolen. Then the next year, I get something new and have to blood that. I've tried, but can't use just one.

.......'sayin. :wink:

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,019 Senior Member
    I'm torn, I have 2 Winchester model 70's stainless steel & CRF. One in 30.06 and the other in .375 H&H. I use them interchangeably, caliber depending on the game hunted.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,825 Senior Member
    Remington Mohawk 600 6mm BR.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,071 Senior Member
    I don't have one, I've got several. In fact, I don't have a "least favorite" rifle, either. Picking a favorite would be kinda like picking my favorite kid.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • sherwoodsherwood Senior Member Posts: 1,215 Senior Member
    My Model 70 in 270. Way better then any 30 cal.
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD
  • wizard78wizard78 Senior Member Posts: 1,004 Senior Member
    I've also used quite a few of my rifles for hunting but if I had to pick one, it would be my Sako L579 Mannlicher in 308.
    Insanely accurate and very easy to carry.

DSCN1940.jpg

“When guns are outlawed, only patriots will have guns.”
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,488 Senior Member
    Favorite rifle is the Winchester Model 88. That's easy for me to answer, and one that a lot of forum members could answer for me.

If you're talking cartridge/chambering selection, then it depends. I really want to take something, maybe cow elk or mule deer, with my .358. After that, I think I'll try one of my .308s.

Or maybe not.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,652 Senior Member
    I guess that would be my Weatherby MKV Deluxe in .300 Wby mag.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,904 Senior Member
    I only have one so that must be the one.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • gunwalkergunwalker Member Posts: 470 Member
    Savage model 99 in 300 sav.
    We do not view the world as it is, but as we perceive it to be.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    I don't have one, I've got several. In fact, I don't have a "least favorite" rifle, either. Picking a favorite would be kinda like picking my favorite kid.

I'm kinda like this. Love hunting with both of my .44 carbines, my ported Marlin 1894P, my Ruger .44 carbine, my old Ruger M77 heavy barrelled .308, and my ported Marlin .45-70 all about equally, but if I absolutely had to pick one, I'd say I get the most satisfaction out of shooting something with my old Ruger .44 carbine.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    It has taken me a couple of days to decide. I have one rifle that goes on every overnight or weekend hunting trip. I may not use it because I brought it along "just in case" but it is always there and ready.

My Remington 788 in .243. It was my second center fire purchase. It is light enough to pack all day, quick to my shoulder, has enough punch for any critter in OK and enough reach for any place I hunt.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,825 Senior Member
    It has taken me a couple of days to decide. I have one rifle that goes on every overnight or weekend hunting trip. I may not use it because I brought it along "just in case" but it is always there and ready.

My Remington 788 in .243. It was my second center fire purchase. It is light enough to pack all day, quick to my shoulder, has enough punch for any critter in OK and enough reach for any place I hunt.

I've got one of those. Highly under rated IMO.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    Every year I have another to choose from or replace but it just never happens it seems......between myself, my Son and my Daughter for the past few years (and for me many more in between) it is a Remington VTR in .308. This gun is light weight,short barreled, quick to the shoulder and extremely accurate. No matter what I acquire every year this one is the first out of the case every fall and has never failed any of us, we fight over this one between the three of us every time!
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,702 Senior Member
    Sako Vixen in 222.................Have taken everything from rats and rabbits up to and including wild bulls.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....