Home Main Category Personal Defense

Houston pastor, Vietnam Vet, shoots break-in thug. Yea!

samzheresamzhere BannedPosts: 10,923 Senior Member
A Houston pastor, a Vietnam Vet, shot a thug who broke into the church and lunged at him while being held at gunpoint. Wrong idea, score: Pastor 1, thug 0.

Doing the work of the Lord.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/burglary-suspect-shot-at-church-in-baytown/34392984

Replies

• Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Best line, "Don't move I'll shoot you again" as he was talking to 911. Good job Pastor! :up: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • N320AWN320AW Senior Member Posts: 648 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    A Houston pastor, a Vietnam Vet, shot a thug who broke into the church and lunged at him while being held at gunpoint. Wrong idea, score: Pastor 1, thug 0.

Doing the work of the Lord.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/burglary-suspect-shot-at-church-in-baytown/34392984

Being a Christian, I'm not quite sure this is the "work of the Lord."
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Well, you were a Lawman, and the bible says you were doing the work as appointed by God, why should a Pastor do any differently, when facing the Devils spawn ?

Romans 13 ►
    King James Bible

1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.

2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.

3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:

4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.

5 Wherefore ye must needs be subject, only for wrath, but also for conscience sake.

6 for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.

7 Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • N320AWN320AW Senior Member Posts: 648 Senior Member
    'We have now completed both the spiritual and the temporal government, that is, the divine and the paternal authority and obedience. But here now we go forth from our house among our neighbors to learn how we should live with one another, every one himself toward his neighbor. Therefore God and government are not included in this commandment nor is the power to kill, which they have taken away. For God has delegated His authority to punish evil-doers to the government instead of parents, who aforetime (as we read in Moses) were required to bring their own children to judgment and sentence them to death. Therefore, what is here forbidden is forbidden to the individual in his relation to any one else, and not to the government.'

—Martin Luther, Large Catechism[71]
    Romans 12:18King James Version (KJV)

18 If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.

Sometimes a good commentary contradicts the actual scriptures, Martin Luther was trying to stop people (individuals) from murdering one another, perhaps he felt the end justified the means.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    If Christians didn't fight back, we would all be dead and will be if ISIS has its way.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Amen Brother !

As in Kenny Rogers song, "the Coward of the County"
    "Sometimes you've got to fight when your a man"
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    N320AW wrote: »
    Being a Christian, I'm not quite sure this is the "work of the Lord."

Just being catty here, y'know.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,628 Senior Member
    Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe."
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,812 Senior Member
    In both incidents, he did what was necessary to protect his property. He could have killed, and the outcome would have been the same, but he didn't because it wasn't necessary. I think he showed the proper amount of restraint, in both cases.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,697 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    In both incidents, he did what was necessary to protect his property. He could have killed, and the outcome would have been the same, but he didn't because it wasn't necessary. I think he showed the proper amount of restraint, in both cases.

As they say the Prime Objective is to STOP THE THREAT. It dosnt say kill the other guy, so if the bad guy lives or dies dosnt matter as long as the threat was stopped.
    Job well done Padre
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,571 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    As they say the Prime Objective is to STOP THE THREAT. It dosnt say kill the other guy, so if the bad guy lives or dies dosnt matter as long as the threat was stopped.
    Job well done Padre

^^100% agree.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • drwalker47drwalker47 Member Posts: 192 Member
    Thanks for taking the time to post all this.
    Celebrate life, moment by moment. I plan to enjoy what time I have left, and that means MORE GUNS!
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    N320AW wrote: »
    'We have now completed both the spiritual and the temporal government, that is, the divine and the paternal authority and obedience. But here now we go forth from our house among our neighbors to learn how we should live with one another, every one himself toward his neighbor. Therefore God and government are not included in this commandment nor is the power to kill, which they have taken away. For God has delegated His authority to punish evil-doers to the government instead of parents, who aforetime (as we read in Moses) were required to bring their own children to judgment and sentence them to death. Therefore, what is here forbidden is forbidden to the individual in his relation to any one else, and not to the government.'

—Martin Luther, Large Catechism[71]

As all of us Roman Catholics will be happy to inform you, Mr. Luther was a heretic.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »
    As all of us Roman Catholics will be happy to inform you, Mr. Luther was a heretic.
    Yeah I guess Henry the Eigth was too! But his daughter, Elisibeth the first, straightened her father's mess out and reformed the Church of England so that every Englishman could love their church. Then there came along those bloody Heretic Treasonous Sons of Liberty with their Bloody Constitution that said the Government could not form any church and then, in almost the same sentence said that, that same government could not forbid a man from worshiping in the church of his/her choice. And that is why Catholics were allowed to worship here same as Baptists, Methodists, Episcopals, Lutherans, Assembly of God, Churches of Christ, Or Mormans or even Jehova Witness, not to mention Jews, Muslims, Hindus, or Buddhists. No such thing as a heretic in the good ol' USA!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Another old thread resurrected from the graveyard of old threads.

Too bad Sam is not here to make a pithy comment, sigh....