Blasphemous, Heretical Range Test

horselipshorselips Senior MemberPosts: 3,628 Senior Member
Everybody knows my CCW gun is a NAA Mini Revolver. However, after Charleston, Chattanooga and Lafayette, I have reconsidered and decided a more capable pocket gun was needed. After all, I go to church, I go to the movies, and I shop in strip malls. I did my due diligence - watched a hundred You Tube videos, read a dozen articles, fondled numerous models at a few LGS, tracked the true street prices on Gunbroker.com, and finally decided on this:

Yeah, it's a Taurus 738 TCP. I know all about Taurus' rep, even the latest mega-bucks settlement over the Millenium class guns, but this gun just felt right, looked great, and had features the other pocket .380 ACP guns lacked, and at a price that couldn't be beat. $179 delivered from Bud's. Fair 'nuff. The consensus from my research was regardless of Taurus' problems with other models, this one is alright. And it is. Really.

I brought a couple of boxes of inexpensive Sellier & Bellot 92 gr. FMJ to break it in, and a box of insanely expensive Hornady Critical Defense to practice with the actual ammo I will be carrying. From Round 1 on - perfect performance. No failures to do anything. And for a lightweight pocket .380, a pleasure to shoot. Excellent ergonomics - much more controllable than my friend's Keltec P3AT, and more accurate too. At 5 and 7 yards, shoots to point of aim, with lots of holes touching, when I did my part. I even tried mixing the S&B and Hornady ammo in the same magazine - no problem. It would not fail. And this little gun has features other pocket guns only dream of like the bolt locks open on the last shot, and a real bolt hold open tab for easy cleaning and inspecting. I will have to paint the sights - the super low profile black sights disappear when focused on a black target. Last but certainly not least, it is a very handsome pistol, very nicely fitted and finished.

I'm not ready to endorse Taurus completely, but this little 738 TCP is a real winner. Easily and completely concealed in any pocket, utterly reliable with both FMJ and hollow point ammo, you'll never have any reason to ever leave it at home. Buy it!

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,779 Senior Member
    Cool beans. Ain't the prettiest filly in the barn, but if she gets ya home, that's what counts!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    While I am not a Taurus fan I do believe you took a large step as far as your ccw goes. Hope it serves you well.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Customer Reviews80 Customer Reviews
    Average 4.3 out of 5
    Lawrence R
    First, props to Bud's for a very competitive price and fast and excellent service. Took the gun to the range with Sellier and Bellot 92 grain FMJ for break-in, and Hornady Critical Defense for practice with the actual ammo I would be carrying. The Taurus worked perfectly from round 1, no jams, or failures to do anything for 150 rounds. I even mixed the S&B and Hornady loads in the same magazine - no problems. Accuracy was fine with many holes touching (at 5 and 7 yards) despite the very low profile sights that are almost invisible when focused on a small black target. A few drops of white-out should solve that nicely. It's no secret that Taurus has problems with the Millenium class pistols, and a mixed reputation for initial quality control and customer service in general, but this pistol is a winner. It is much more controllable than a Keltec P3AT or a Ruger LCP, equally accurate or better, the bolt stays open on the last round, there's a bolt hold open tab for cleaning and inspecting (a feature several competitors lack), and most important in a carry gun, it was utterly reliable with the FMJ and hollow point ammunition I tried. Conceals easily in a pocket - no reason to ever leave home without it. And last but not least, it is a very handsome pistol. .
    5 hours ago

Was that your review ?
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Customer Reviews80 Customer Reviews
    Average 4.3 out of 5
    Lawrence R
    First, props to Bud's for a very competitive price and fast and excellent service. Took the gun to the range with Sellier and Bellot 92 grain FMJ for break-in, and Hornady Critical Defense for practice with the actual ammo I would be carrying. The Taurus worked perfectly from round 1, no jams, or failures to do anything for 150 rounds. I even mixed the S&B and Hornady loads in the same magazine - no problems. Accuracy was fine with many holes touching (at 5 and 7 yards) despite the very low profile sights that are almost invisible when focused on a small black target. A few drops of white-out should solve that nicely. It's no secret that Taurus has problems with the Millenium class pistols, and a mixed reputation for initial quality control and customer service in general, but this pistol is a winner. It is much more controllable than a Keltec P3AT or a Ruger LCP, equally accurate or better, the bolt stays open on the last round, there's a bolt hold open tab for cleaning and inspecting (a feature several competitors lack), and most important in a carry gun, it was utterly reliable with the FMJ and hollow point ammunition I tried. Conceals easily in a pocket - no reason to ever leave home without it. And last but not least, it is a very handsome pistol. .
    5 hours ago

Was that your review ?

Yes.
    cpj wrote: »
    Good grief man! You bought a plastic gun with no manual safety. You're likely to blow your ing head off with that dangerous thing. Or shoot your penis off. Be careful!

I check my penis every few minutes - I feel like a teenager again!
    This is the holster I bought for it. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IR2SA5A?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I have never spent so much on a holster before, but it completely covers the entire trigger guard which is what I want to feel safe. Thank God for free shipping.
    Please let us know how you like it, I still am not so keen on .380 acp, after years of shooting them, even carrying them as BUGs, l have an open mind and haven't completely given up on that cartridge.......
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    A striker fired pistol? You mean one that operates like Glock? GASP!

Seriously dude, good for you.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,725 Senior Member
    While many do not hold Taurus in high regard, there are some that have had them for years and never had an issue. I hope yours treats you the same.
    Either way it is a huge step up from a mini revolver, which are neat in themselves, but more useful as a deep undercover BUG.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,982 Senior Member
    Good luck with that
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 1,829 Senior Member
    Thank you for this review. I'm considering this same gun but I have been hesitant. I think you just made my mind up for me.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,694 Senior Member
    I'm no Taurus fan, nor am I a .380 fan, but I'm glad you have upgraded from the novelty gun.:up:
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,757 Senior Member
    twa wrote: »
    While I am not a Taurus fan I do believe you took a large step as far as your ccw goes. Hope it serves you well.

Pretty much my position as well.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    I decided early on, NOT to sing my original song called:
    Guinea pig.........

It is wrong to goad someone willing enough to step into the gap, tempting the fates, casting all caution to the four winds, ignoring the warning of bad omens and portents and oncoming storm!

Looking the Lion into its teeth, with no plans on dealing with impending doom, etcetera etcetera....
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,180 Senior Member
    Definitely a step up from what you were carrying. That it fired all those rounds with no failures sounds like it will be reliable. :up:

Regarding that recall by Taurus, I have a PT-145 Milennium .45 ACP pistol I got in a trade many years ago. It will NOT be going back to Taurus. It was broken when I got it, which is why I got it CHEAP. I detail stripped it, made a couple of new parts, and polished out all the burrs and nasty metal boogers. It's smooth as glass now, has a much larger trigger pivot pin(one of the parts broken), and has not failed to fire except for ONE round of Winchester white box ammo that had a bad primer. I know the primer was bad because I attempted to fire that round several times in my Colt Commander and it refused to fire. They'd have some decent pistols if they would get their QA/QC working. I also have a PT-22 pistol that has fired several bricks of .22 LR without a hitch. But I won't have a Taurus revolver in the house, ever again.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,694 Senior Member
    A guy that I always used to run into at the shooting range bought a Taurus .45 in a kind of a compact model, and insisted that I shoot it. It may have been a Milennium, I don't know. It had a horribly squishy and crunchy trigger, but I adapted to it in a couple of rounds and actually shot it really well. I remember thinking, at the time, that Taurus was just a short distance away from having a real winner.

But then, I remembered - that's exactly what I thought 20 years ago.
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,772 Senior Member
    Glad to hear it seems to be working out for you. I fondled one many years back and seemed like a decent little pistol and at that price, hard to beat.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,549 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Good grief man! You bought a plastic gun with no manual safety. You're likely to blow your ing head off with that dangerous thing. Or shoot your penis off. Be careful!
    He got a Taurus mousegun. Option 2 has already happened.

Seriously, its a pocket gun, if it goes bang you are good. I have a Kel-Tec PF9 that has never failed and is a "not big name" piece that I am happy enough with that I got one for the wife.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,734 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    I'm no Taurus fan, nor am I a .380 fan, but I'm glad you have upgraded from the novelty gun.:up:

This.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,688 Senior Member
    I am glad he upgraded to a caliber that might actually stop a bad guy, ergo with multiple hits. Next thing we know, he will be buying a .270, and exalting its virtues, LMAO! Robin :rotflmao:
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
    A striker fired pistol? You mean one that operates like Glock? GASP!

Seriously dude, good for you.

It is hammer fired. I still hate Glocks.
    Is not hate a bit much?
    Please let us know how you like it, I still am not so keen on .380 acp, after years of shooting them, even carrying them as BUGs, l have an open mind and haven't completely given up on that cartridge.......

Like all other calibers, .380ACP has benefitted from modern innovations - better powders and better bullets. Check out these YouTube videos. Of course there are many others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H9M6cZGd18
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ6PgHhNYg0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv7ChS7DurE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNtPHYwcDts

Different testers get different results on different days, but all things taken into consideration, there are now some very effective commercial loadings for pocket mouseguns. My own choice is Hornady Critical Defense - and even though it penetrates 1/2 inch less than the desired 12", I have never had any trouble with penetration and I don't have anywhere near 12".
  • toymachinetoymachine Senior Member Posts: 761 Senior Member
    Did you point it in a safe direction and shake it before carrying it?
    "Is 'milk bottle' literally a racist term?"
    "It is now." - Jack Fraggs
    toymachine wrote: »
    Did you point it in a safe direction and shake it before carrying it?

I always point it in a safe direction when I shake it - whoa - are we talking about the same thing?
    Is not hate a bit much?

You win. Glocks are not my favorite pistols.
    Are you going to handload for .380 acp ?
    I think it might be a good idea, try different configurations.
    Are you going to handload for .380 acp ?
    I think it might be a good idea, try different configurations.

I don't handload anymore. Used to do it, maybe it's time to start up again. We'll see.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,779 Senior Member
    HAWKEN wrote: »
    Next thing we know, he will be buying a .270, and exalting its virtues...
    Naw, I can't see him moving backwards... :jester:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."