Trump needs to get serious or get out.

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,104 Senior Member
I think Trump is serious about the following things:

1. The Trump brand
2. The Trump brand
3. The Trump brand

He's a braggart, a narcissist, and a pompous blowhard. He uses just as much time gloating about his lawsuits filed with his dissenters as he does discussing policy and reforms.

He chose to announce his candidacy, originally, as a Republican citing that he felt a third party candidate did not have the margin for success he aspired to. Now, he is threatening to secede and run under a third party banner if the kids on the GOP playground don't let him play too.

And here is where I begin disliking him enough to wish he'd fade away:

Cruz and Walker are stronger than Trump--he just talks louder. With Hillary's popularity faltering even among her constituencies it is prime time for the GOP to strike with a solid, aggressive, focused candidate. They near to show leadership, resolve and an unwavering smearing of the left.

If Trump moves to a third party candidacy we should all then know he is not serious. He's at that point just generating headlines with his name in them at the expense of America's future. Trump will make money regardless of the person in the Oval Office. He knows this.

Running as a third--and failing party--will effectively only draw would-be Republican votes to his party and just improve the Democrat's odds of another victory.

After seeing Cruz call out Mitch McConnell by name as a liar and deceiver in the presence of the whole Senate--as a sitting Senator--I realized that has far more clout than a pompous ass berating politicians in the lobby of Trump Tower. Cruz has a lot of experience in Congress, seems to be more genuine than just about every other politician, and if he is willing to call the Senate Majority Leader a liar in open Congress and turn all the cross hairs to himself--including the RINO's--in the name of political integrity then I am on board with him.

Trump is petty in inexperience and inferior in integrity, in my opinion, by any comparison with Cruz or Walker. He needs to bow out.
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

• Gator MonroeGator Monroe Banned Posts: 655 Senior Member
    Now that the Kochs are backing away from him that should give him traction with middle left and Socially liberal types who are hawks on border insanity and criminal illegals being freed to terrorize & kill Americans ...
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,104 Senior Member
    Now that the Kochs are backing away from him that should give him traction with middle left and Socially liberal types who are hawks on border insanity and criminal illegals being freed to terrorize & kill Americans ...

Socially liberal types and the middle-left siding with Trump? Can we keep this conversation actually serious?
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Socially liberal types and the middle-left siding with Trump? Can we keep this conversation actually serious?

Anything that has to do with Politics & The Koch Brothers is Serious ...
    Anything that has to do with Politics & The Koch Brothers is Serious ...

Your prescriptions need adjustment.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,651 Senior Member
    I think Trump is actually making it possible for Cruz to finally be that blunt about the Republican leadership. He has battled them courageously since his first day in the Senate, but voters have not noticed, for the most part, and no pressure has been put on other Senators to take up his arguments.

Trump is a celebrity shock-jock, and I can't see him lasting all the way - I hope he does not, but I don't mind it that he is shaking up the Republican leadership. They need it, badly.
    bisley wrote: »
    I think Trump is actually making it possible for Cruz to finally be that blunt about the Republican leadership. He has battled them courageously since his first day in the Senate, but voters have not noticed, for the most part, and no pressure has been put on other Senators to take up his arguments.

Trump is a celebrity shock-jock, and I can't see him lasting all the way - I hope he does not, but I don't mind it that he is shaking up the Republican leadership. They need it, badly.

Agreed on all points.
  • Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 448 Member
    I understand what you're saying about trump, but I do like the fact that he doesn't care who he pisses off. I also like the the fact that the man has taken a lot of criticism from what he said about the illegals crossing the border and he has not crawfished on what he's said.
    If he remains THE ONLY GOP primary candidate who will campaign on the Illegal Immigration message, that is indicative of the sorry state of GOP politics
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,457 Senior Member
    Pssst....your crazy is showing. :silly:

If Mr. Trump wants to put up a fence/wall/force field, he can go ahead and do it. More power to him.

As far as getting my vote is concerned, he's going to have to show me that he is slightly less crazy than you. To date, he hasn't done that. Tomorrow isn't looking good either, but I'm willing to keep an open mind.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,551 Senior Member
    My major problem with Trump is that he's big on saying what he's going to do, but has yet to say how he's going to do it.

So far, as politics go, he's been all hat and no cattle.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    If he remains THE ONLY GOP primary candidate who will campaign on the Illegal Immigration message, that is indicative of the sorry state of GOP politics

Cruz is a border state Senator. He needs to be louder about border security than he has been, but Trump's hardliners focus on just border issues (at the moment) is wreaking indicative of someone who can't see the forest for the trees. Our issues are more than just border security.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I can see why a candidate might soft pedal border issues, it might also blow up against said candidates interests, being used against them.
    Although it is an issue that demands a solution, discussion of this issue is like hugging a porcupine, dangerous at best.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    If Trump gets the REP nomination, I'll vote for him in a heartbeat over any DEM.

Debates will be interesting. He has all the career political clowns squirming, I say good and lets see where the chips fall.

What good has electing the usual hacks done us in the past..........lot of hot air promising to get things done and they mostly never do accomplish much at all, just end up being in the status quo.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,743 Senior Member
    Trump = Nickelback

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/donald-trump-is-the-nickelback-of-gop-candidates/
    I likened Trump to the band Nickelback: disliked by most people but with a few very passionate admirers. The best contrast to Trump is Marco Rubio: like a “lite rock” radio station, he’s broadly acceptable but few people’s favorite. Rubio’s favorable ratings are much higher (56 percent) than The Donald’s, and his unfavorable ratings are much lower (16 percent). But only 6 percent of Republicans list Rubio as their first choice.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
    My prediction is that Trump will make a lot of noise, get a lot of attention and then fade as the primaries get closer and more candidates drop out. In the end you guys will pick another weak, milquetoast, establishment candidate. The three most likely are Rubio, Walker, or Bush. My money is on Walker. I think voters will shy away from another Bush and Rubio is a bit too "tan" and the fact that he's a first generation American will make it hard I think for him to win a republican primary with issues like immigration and the confederate flag being front and center.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,589 Senior Member
    Whatever else can be said for or against him, he's good at pissing EVERYBODY off. The Right *AND* the Left are attacking him non-stop. He must be doing *something* right.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    zorba wrote: »
    Whatever else can be said for or against him, he's good at pissing EVERYBODY off. The Right *AND* the Left are attacking him non-stop. He must be doing *something* right.

There is that.
    My prediction is that Trump will make a lot of noise, get a lot of attention and then fade as the primaries get closer and more candidates drop out. In the end you guys will pick another weak, milquetoast, establishment candidate. The three most likely are Rubio, Walker, or Bush. My money is on Walker. I think voters will shy away from another Bush and Rubio is a bit too "tan" and the fact that he's a first generation American will make it hard I think for him to win a republican primary with issues like immigration and the confederate flag being front and center.

The last I checked, the folks on the right have two more latinos, one more person of mideastern descent, one more person of African/American descent, and the same number of women vying for the big chair as the dems do...but the democrats are the party of inclusion.

I know, I know... counting Bubba, you folks voted for the first two black presidents. But what have you done lately? The current crop of democratic choices is as lily white as my backside.

Take your smug superiority and cram it.
    George Carlin
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    The last I checked, the folks on the right have two more latinos, one more person of mideastern descent, one more person of African/American descent, and the same number of women vying for the big chair as the dems do...but the democrats are the party of inclusion.

I know, I know... counting Bubba, you folks voted for the first two black presidents. But what have you done lately? The current crop of democratic choices is as lily white as my backside.

The Party of the Klan (Democrats) never change ...

I'm happy to be proven wrong, it's just my best educated guess on what will happen. I think of the crop Rubio is an ok candidate, I just think based upon the recent history and politics of the republican party I'm putting my money on the son of a baptist preacher over a first generation cuban american, given that they're very similar politically and ideologically. Depending on how things go I can definitely see him being picked as a VP candidate in a cynical attempt to court the Latino vote in the general election.

glfam5rxjeqrm1tztmim.jpg
    -DoctorWho
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,626 Senior Member
    The Donald is America's Vladimir Putin, and the only candidate strong enough to be an answer. Trump is passionately patriotic, determined to succeed come Hell or high water. He represents the extreme potential of American Exceptionalism, and his 21st century version of Manifest Destiny - the restoration of American sovereignty, and economic, diplomatic, and military supremacy is a most welcome and overdue philosophy. His irreverence to political correctness and the exaggerated sensitivity of today's pop culture is a breath of fresh air for all who resent being told what words can be spoken, what feelings can be had, and what positions on issues are allowed, and who have had it with being labeled by the Left as racist, homophobic, Islamphobic, sexist, or whatever. No matter what Trump was in the past - neo-Democrat, borderline progressive, or mixed bag of this or that, he has obviously had a political epiphany and is now an almost Tea Party class conservative. All fine with me.

Like most of his supporters, I don't care what he was then, just what he is now. (Every saint has a past, every sinner has a future.) I understand he's not a finely waxed and polished politician, so I don't really care what he says or how he says it or who his misspeaks and mistakes 'offends' or dismisses. If he says something that tickles your sensitivities, tough titties. You're not perfect either. Grow yourself a much thicker skin and you'll get over it.

Every time Trump is attacked by the press, other candidates, celebs, or this administration, he grows stronger. Right on. His opposition can't resist inadvertently helping him along with every word they say or print. Trump's candidacy continues to grow in power like Gremlins feasting after midnight.

So, when or how does it all end? Or does it? Or does Trump win the nomination, clobber Monica Lewinsky's ex-boyfriend's wife in the debates, and go on to be the next POTUS? And then what? We'll soon know.

And the big upcoming debate is where the unraveling might begin. I can see Trump broadly dismissing all the others as disappointing ineffectives - unable to create jobs, grow the economy, put meat back on the bones of the Pentagon, face down foreign challenges and secure the border. I can also see them all hitting back at him. The fact is the GOP has a very deep bench of genuinely accomplished and talented candidates with verifiable track records, and when these other candidates have Trump on stage and all to themselves, they'll take turns hitting him over the head with one achievement after another. And Donald will have no valid come-backs, because facts are facts. I'm sure every candidate likely to be on that stage has prepared a nice list of clever witticisms (a la "You're no Jack Kennedy") to tar and feather Trump with. But then, the others might just wimp out altogether, and Trump will sail to the convention virtually unopposed to be crowned just like Hillary will be.

Fasten your seatbelts, it's gonna be a bumpy ride.
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Time will tell. :popcorn: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
    The Party of the Klan (Democrats) never change ...

Don't help. Please. Just. Don't.
    George Carlin
    Don't help. Please. Just. Don't.

Don't cover for them , let the chips fall where they may...