Titegroup in .357 Mag reloads

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,982 Senior Member
It works well for me, as it does in .45 ACP

I fired some at the last shoot with about 5.7 grains and listed velocity somewhere around 1130-1150 FPS. It is on the Hodgdon's site. Only thing is the difference between Min and Max loads is from 5.4 to 6.1 grains. Pressures go on up too, but 5.0 is listed for hard cast 158 grain SWC lead bullets with a lot less pressure.

I was using Rainer Ballistics 158 grain plated HPs. Good medium .357 load. I just loaded up a box of 50 more. About out of the RBs in .38 cal, but have plenty of Winchester SJHPs exposed lead tips. May stick with what I have, bump it up or go to a different powder, I dunno.

Listed 158 grain 32,600-41,900 pressure using Hornady XTPs using Min to Max load.

Cast pressure for 158 LSWC 19,300 to 24,900 , using 4.5 to 5.0 grains.
1028 to 1108 velocity.

I have had good results with Titegroup and since I have it O/H, I plan to use it up.

I'm thunking it is a good load and have fired it in my model 13 and 686. Easier on the K frame and very accurate in the 686. Some bark, but not like full blown .357s

Seems to be a good all around load for me. I have used all kinds of powder and load combinations in the .357 over the years and it ain't hard to find one that works well for you and your guns from plinking to full house loads.
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,008 Senior Member
    I use a lot of Titegroup in my .38's, from wadcutter to +p loads!!
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,321 Senior Member
    I've used Titegroup in a variety of handgun loads and have always had really good luck with it. What you mentioned in the OP is pretty much what I've observed and mentioned a few times; there is usually a very small margine between starting and max loads. It takes very little of that stuff and when the difference between starting and max loads is only 1/2 grain, you kinda have to watch what you're doing. A double charge would be extremely easy to have happen. I also noted that I got much better accuracy when I measured each powder charge and made sure they were all the same. Even my Redding MG 3BR measure, which measures amazingly accurate and consistent charges, will still end up with a .1 to .2 variance between charges sometimes. With only .5 grain between minimum and max loads, .2 makes a difference, IMO.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,982 Senior Member
    Yep, same with powders like Bullseye, gotta be careful because a double charge will not spill over the top and can go unnoticed easier than some.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,668 Senior Member
    Personally, I'm not a fan of powders that fast, in a case that large
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,982 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Personally, I'm not a fan of powders that fast, in a case that large

It does leave enough air-space to do the Tango........................
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,668 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    It does leave enough air-space to do the Tango........................
    Your gun, and your "purty" face.

If you launch shrapnel far enough to hit me here, from there, you put something other than Titegroup in it :tooth:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.