AR builds

gunner81gunner81 MemberPosts: 314 Member
If you were building a 300 acc AR pistol would you do 10.5 inch or 7.5 inch ?

Replies

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,667 Senior Member
    I have not built one, but I just got done building two rifles in .300 BO.

There is a .300 BO forum you might want to visit that has a lot of info.

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/

As I recall during my research, the 7.5 inch platform was preferred, but you have to get your gas system right.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,063 Senior Member
    gunner81 wrote: »
    If you were building a 300 acc AR pistol would you do 10.5 inch or 7.5 inch ?

Personally, 10.5". But they are a bit different. A 7.5" puts you in PDW territory. If you plan to run suppressed, it doesn't matter much.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • toymachinetoymachine Senior Member Posts: 761 Senior Member
    Just wanted to mention that I function tested my 3" AR snubbie this afternoon (manually cycled). Rang a steel spinning target- at ten yards- and made a nice little fireball. Next time I'll try to remember the allen wrenches to adjust the See-All open sight. Wasn't sure about that one, but it seems to work fine on my range toy.

Anyhoo..."bump"
    "Is 'milk bottle' literally a racist term?"
    "It is now." - Jack Fraggs
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,992 Senior Member
    I'm very interested in that sight. Very.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    In my estimation, it's definitely worth the C-note to check out. I ordered mine right off their website, shipping charge wasn't too bad and it showed up pretty quick. Was a while ago, I don't remember the exact details, but their website still shows the same price.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,497 Senior Member
    Can you explain your build please ?
    I am familiar with AR-15s but not what you describe.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Can you explain your build please ?
    I am familiar with AR-15s but not what you describe.

Mine (3" snubbie) is extremely simple. I got a cheap used barrel that had already been cut off behind the gas port, eyeballed it and cut it off where I thought it'd look cool, then used a spare barrel nut to attach it to a spare stripped upper. BCG, charging handle, and lower came from my existing AR pistol.
    No pictures?
    Moar information ?
    Caliber?
    So it is a single shot, must be manually operated.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    No pictures?
    Moar information ?
    Caliber?
    So it is a single shot, must be manually operated.

Correct, no pictures.(my new phone doesn't like imgur, and I'm too much of a luddite to learn another system)
    It's an AR without a gas system, not much more information to be had.
    Caliber: 5.56/.223
    It's magazine fed, like a normal AR. Not semi-auto, but I'm going to be pedantic and say that it's not a single shot. I use a standard charging handle to run it like a straight pull bolt action, essentially what it is other than I have to be careful not to ride the charging handle forward. A side charger would probably be better, but that would require more work and/or money.
    Originally, I planned to use it with my 22lr conversion kit, but .223 is more readily available.
    Do you handload for it ?
    Seems it might benefit from modified loads as opposed to ammo designed for normal rifles.
    Properly modified it might make a nice blaster for CCW, LOL

You should be able to upload photos to photo bucket from any phone.
    The Firearm Blog has a link to a video for a functional two inch barrel SBR. Functional as in the gas system works, firing semi-automatically. The OAL on a .223 round is more than two inches, you can see the tip of the bullet sticking out of the muzzle. Reportedly, it's not all that accurate. Havent had time to accuracy test mine, but my hopes aren't great, considering it was likely shot-out before I ever got it.
    cpj wrote: »
    I'm very interested in that sight. Very.

Moved it over onto a cheap mount on my Walther PPX, and took it to the range this afternoon. Perishable skills being what they are, things started out poorly. However, by the fourth and fifth mags, I was getting four inch twelve shot groups, offhand at eleven yards ( I paced it off generously, then measured my gait when I got home). Not too bad for me, especially since I haven't shot a conventional pistol for a while. Next time I might take out some shooting sticks or some type of rest, and try for some five shot precision groups.

Doc, I posted a pic of my AR pistol in the More on Single Shot Pistols/ Show em /I Got The Itch thread, in case you missed that. Tried to repost it here, but my phone won't let me drag the icon into the proper box.
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    You can just post it from your phone. Just hit go advanced and manage attachments.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
    Ah, there we go. Just keep fiddling around with it. Thanks for the help.
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    Kinda looks like an M3. I'm really considering a 10 1/2" 357AR build. 350-400 grain subsonics would be wicked.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct