Blued or Stainless Leverhun? (Poll)

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 19,447 Senior Member
Contemplating another Rossi R92 down the road. This one would be in .357 Mag and have a 16" barrel. My LGS has both the 16" and 20" and after handling both.........the 16" is pretty darn sweet. Never thought I'd like a lever carbine, but it handles stupidly well.

On top of that, looking at BBTI, it appears that the .357 Mag doesn't gain anything and in most cases lost velocity with barrels longer than 16". At least by their data. So.......16" it is.

Only question now is......

Blued

R92-55008_zps5blltzii.jpg

or

Stainless

R92-55018_zpshbewjmgn.jpg

finish?

Blued looks better but stainless has the durability thing going.

Uses will be range/hunting/HD gun for me/kids/bride and I'll mount a scout scope or red dot ahead of the receiver.

What vote ye?

Blued or Stainless Levergun? 49 votes

Blued
61%
knitepoetBig Al1AntonioEliLMLarsensakodudeJerryBobCodldjbohioDurwoodtimcminnesotashooterfire128sherwoodGene LJeeperErnie BishoppardogHAWKENjaywapti 30 votes
Stainless
38%
bullsi1911NNBigDanStennmikeDiver43Jermanatorsnake284orchidmanbobbyrlf3cpjBigslugDoctorWhoKSU Firefightercoolgunguywizard78JasonMPDLerchessshootbrownelkgunner81 19 votes
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,364 Senior Member
    Blued
    Huns? And they run levers? Walnut and Blue! Stainless is good for soggy wet places not dry hot places.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,385 Senior Member
    Blued
    Blue. Always. In lever guns, at least.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,000 Senior Member
    If you bead blast the stainless it will look more better. Otherwise shining like a diamond in a goats ass is not usually a good thing.

If you are worried about the durability of the finish just get the cheaper one and Ceracoat it.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,447 Senior Member
    Elk creek wrote: »
    Huns? And they run levers? Walnut and Blue! Stainless is good for soggy wet places not dry hot places.

They are resourceful.

And.......I needed to give Sam purpose in life.
    Blued
    :jester: That's funny!
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,237 Senior Member
    Blued
    Blued, JMO but in the end get what ever you like best,

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,181 Senior Member
    Stainless
    I voted stainless only because I see lever guns as a beat up in the truck/beat up in the woods type of gun. They are short, light, and handy guns which to means they will be used in situations where they will get the crap kicked out of them. Screw tradition!
    Blued
    But a beat up walnut and blued gun has a story, a scratched up dinged up stainless and wood gun just looks used.
    Keep in mind.....I'm scoping this little sucker. So.....tradition is out the window.

Not trying to sway anyone and their vote. I'm just say'n.

I am leaning blued simply for a looks aspect. But stainless popped in my head as an option because of Jerm's reasons too.
    Stainless
    If they are old. If it is a new gun, stainless baby! I will be long dead before it is old enough to be cool.
    Blued
    Not the way Zee hun....ts.;-)
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,236 Senior Member
    Stainless
    Jermanator wrote: »
    If they are old. If it is a new gun, stainless baby! I will be long dead before it is old enough to be cool.

:that:
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,341 Senior Member
    Blued
    BLUED!!!!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    Stainless
    Ifn' you were going blued, you probably should have stuck with your 1894 in .44 mag. Now you HAVE to go stainless so you don't kick yourself for selling the blued .44 mag-- you can act like you planned it that way all along and save face!
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 990 Senior Member
    Blued

Totally agree. 130 years ago, the durability of SS would have meant very few blued guns would have been sold.
    Ifn' you were going blued, you probably should have stuck with your 1894 in .44 mag. Now you HAVE to go stainless so you don't kick yourself for selling the blued .44 mag-- you can act like you planned it that way all along and save face!

Joe wanted it more than I. Besides, I already corrected that action by getting a 24" levergun in .45 Colt. The .44 Mag in a rifle just didn't do it for me. Now........a Colt..........
    Blued
    Philistines.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Blued
    I vote blued simply because it looks right on a traditionally styled(model 92 clone) levergun. Now to be fair, I love the look of the marlin XLR series in stainless and laminated wood but I don't consider that model "traditional"
    I've seen the stainless Rossi's and they are a nice looking carbine no doubt. Tough choice.

Sako
    Stainless
    Zee wrote: »
    Joe wanted it more than I. Besides, I already corrected that action by getting a 24" levergun in .45 Colt. The .44 Mag in a rifle just didn't do it for me. Now........a Colt..........
    Actually, I think his wife decided that the .44 mag was her's. It was a worthy cause!
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,979 Senior Member
    Stainless
    I voted stainless only because I see lever guns as a beat up in the truck/beat up in the woods type of gun. They are short, light, and handy guns which to means they will be used in situations where they will get the crap kicked out of them. Screw tradition!

That.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,737 Senior Member
    Blued
    Blued and an octagon barrel, if they make a sixteen incher!
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    Blued and an octagon barrel, if they make a sixteen incher!

My .45 Colt has the blued 24" octagon.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,565 Senior Member
    Blued
    Blued. Unless you live in a houseboat or in a beach cottage or a rain forest. There is zero reasons for a SS rifle to exist when all it takes to keep blue looking (better) and in shape is a dry or slightly oily rag over the outside. They have developed non-corrosive ammo, you know.

I've only got one SS rifle, or a "All Weather Finish" by Ruger, if that's what it is, and I didn't buy it for the looks or ease of maintenance.

A SS rifle is too showy for my tastes. Especially on lever guns, which SHOULD look old, with wood and not some SS/plastic stock.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    True.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,548 Senior Member
    Blued
    Between the two pictured, the blued one just looks "right" to me. The SS :vomit:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,497 Senior Member
    Stainless
    I adore traditional blue, however, there is much to be said for SS finish, and a black
    Coating of some type simply to remove glare, less maintenance with a utility gun, used hard sometimes put away wet.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,684 Senior Member
    I've owned both blue and SS .45 Colt 92s and I can honestly say that for me there is no difference at all. Loved them both and should I buy another in the future it would be the right opportunity that came around, not the materials that would make the decision.

That being said, the last '92 had very dark wood with pretty grain and that made for a very nice contrast with the stainless. By comparison my old blue and walnut '92 looked "common" for lack of a better word? Very handsome gun that the new owner might want to post a pic off to show off a little. :tooth:
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • wizard78wizard78 Senior Member Posts: 993 Senior Member
    Stainless
    I always favored polished blue and a nice wood until I fondled a stainless and walnut Marlin Guide Gun. I fell in love with the contrast of the stainless against the walnut stock. Prior to that, all I had seen were plastic and laminate stocks with the stainless and for me, they were just ugly. The second reason for my stainless vote is the way I and most others, carry a lever carbine. Cradled in my fingers/palm, right in front of the lever, holding the receiver and never with a sling. Since I use my levers for hunting and do a lot of walking/stalking, I like the durability of the stainless rather than the blue wear on the traditional lever carbines.
    "Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one."

“If gun control laws actually worked, Chicago would be Mayberry!"

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,145 Senior Member
    Stainless
    For planned use, esp the HD use; it will get a lot of handling, so IMO SS is the proper choice.
    I have a need for speed
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,816 Senior Member
    Either way, whichever has the nicest wood.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11