Blued or Stainless Leverhun? (Poll)

Replies

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,497 Senior Member
    Stainless
    In the morning of life, wood was favorably and often fondled, now, later on, less maintenance is preferred and wood is at a premium,
    SS is an advantage.....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 957 Senior Member
    Blue just looks better, followed by color case hardened and then stainless. I understand that stainless is easier to take care of but is the rifle really going to be out of the safe enough times to make a difference??

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,290 Senior Member
    I'm fond of my SS model.

m92whitebg_zps6a3adba6.jpg
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,439 Senior Member
    Yeah, the dark wood is pretty with stainless. A lighter or reddish wood, not so much.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,658 Senior Member
    Stainless
    Since you aren't playing any sort of historical interest angle, I vote stainless.

Having followed others down the path of old gun collecting, I've torn down my share of vintage lever guns and can say that the process is generally a royal PITA. I've gone over to stainless for my primary hunting bolt action and it's increased my enjoyment of the sport immensely - knowing that I can come home dead tired and ignore the gun regardless of what weather I encountered when I was out.

With a blue/wood bolt gun, I'd grit my teeth and go out in the rain and snow anyway. With a blue/wood lever, I'd leave it at home.

On that particular gun, I might think about having the exterior sandblasted.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,062 Senior Member
    The lever gun is a utilitarian rifle, meant to be used under rough conditions - stainless.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,722 Senior Member
    If you tote it with a .357 revolver what finish is more likely on the revolver (I'm assuming you have a blue and stainless wheel gun)? Got to match you know...
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,439 Senior Member
    JKP wrote: »
    If you tote it with a .357 revolver what finish is more likely on the revolver (I'm assuming you have a blue and stainless wheel gun)? Got to match you know...

Both my field revolvers in .357 Mag are stainless GP-100s. Either a 4" or 6".
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,938 Senior Member
    Stainless
    To those poo pooing stainless as "non traditional", you're gonna crap yourself when he puts a scope or red dot on that "traditional" blued gun....
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,972 Senior Member
    Stainless
    For your intended uses for the rifle, I'd go with the stainless steel model. And since you're gonna mount a red dot or scout scope ahead of the receiver, glare off the barrel won't interfere with the iron sights. The 16" barrel length will also make it more handy for your intended use, and not lose any velocity.

Traditionally, lever guns were made with blued steel, and sometimes color case hardened iron receivers, and sometimes with brass receivers. They were made back then with what was available, and could be worked with the machinery available at the time. But J. M. Browning was one helluva innovator, and if he'd had the stainless steels available to us today, and the tooling to work with them, I have no doubt he'd have used them to build some of his firearms.

And just between you, me, and the lamp post on the corner, things called 'traditional' are for the most part traditional because that's all they had to work with and all that the machinery at the time could handle. I reckon those stage coaches would have been more comfortable with coil springs, shock absorbers, and rubber tires, but they didn't have such back then, either. :tooth:
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,433 Senior Member
    Stainless
    I voted stainless. I think it gives you more options with the stock. And since tradition is not a factor, release your inner individuality.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • pardogpardog Member Posts: 423 Member
    Blued
    I voted blue because it just looks purdier on that rifle. I like stainless on a hunting rifle, but are you really going to use this particular rifle in conditions that require stainless?
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,129 Senior Member
    Blued
    jbohio wrote: »
    Blue. Always. In lever guns, at least.

That.

Silly question.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,497 Senior Member
    Stainless
    Hou are going to buy that particular rifle just to stick it in a safe ????????
    Poo !!!!
    I would buy it to shoot it as much as possible...........
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,547 Senior Member
    Blued
    A stainless gun is like a Mackerel in the moonlight. Its shiny, and it stinks...

Blued gun with a can of WD-40 will hold up just fine in most situations! :tooth:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    Blued
    I said "blued" because of the looks factor.
    Can't believe I said "no" to stainless.
    Zee wrote: »
    Keep in mind.....I'm scoping this little sucker. So.....tradition is out the window.

Not trying to sway anyone and their vote. I'm just say'n.

I am leaning blued simply for a looks aspect. But stainless popped in my head as an option because of Jerm's reasons too.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,246 Senior Member
    Blued
    Since I don't hunt and don't see myself schlepping thru the tundra, blue is the only option for my lever gun. Of course, I only have the one Winchester, and it's a range toy, so it's not that big a deal.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,870 Senior Member
    Stainless

Well there you go. They will match nicely. Of course when you choose your optic to put on it, that and the rings must match also.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • toymachinetoymachine Senior Member Posts: 761 Senior Member
    Blued
    Well, stainless is more practical than blued. But a slide action is more practical than a levergun, as you don't have to break your firing grip to run the action. So I'd say blued (or brass) for a lever, stainless for a slide. Even better, a stainless AR in 300blk.
    "Is 'milk bottle' literally a racist term?"
    "It is now." - Jack Fraggs
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,090 Senior Member
    Stainless
    When I get through using a gun, especially in bad weather, at the very least they get a spray down and rub down with Rem Oil, Break Free, or Liquid Wrench penetrating oil. The only reason I'd get a stainless Lever Gun is if I take it out on the salt marsh or in my boat in the bay. But hell, when I went down below Corpus next to the Kennedy and King Ranches on the Nalgai hunt I was on salt water the whole time. And I had my WBY Mark V 300 Laser Mark, which is blue. No rust because every day it got sprayed down and wiped off.Actually, I wouldn't mind having one of each, a gun for every occasion.

Actually, on that trip the lead dude on the hunt, Jeff, had a Mark V Weather Mark, I think, a Stainless Mark V with Synthetic Stock. I think he was using it for a boat oar,:jester:

But hell, it was like 5 years old and looked brand new.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Stainless
    But after all was said and done, after looking at SS3s Stainless model, it looked so fine I voted Stainless.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,467 Senior Member
    Stainless
    If it is going to be a 'work' firearm then stainless is best. If its going to be a 'safe queen' and used at a range then blued is the way to go.

( Yes, I know my T3 lite has a black barrel, but if you look closely at the last pic I posted up you will see that I 'rattlecanned' the stainless barrel with matt black paint as it cut down on its reflectability......Heck, even BH has rattlecanned his wood stocked Sako 75's stainless barrel...........made it look like a $10 whore but it was a practical solution)
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,063 Senior Member
    Stainless
    I voted stainless. Pity they don't offer it in a bead blasted matte finish.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,661 Senior Member
    Stainless
    Stainless.

In my opinion any practical utility field gun should have a lowest possible maintenance finish and stock. It should be comfortably and confidently slogged through heat, brush, rain and freezing cold, snow and ice, dust and mud.

Blued can do that with a lot of love and care, but stainless is THE way to go and composite stocks if available. I own a variety and my field guns now are for the most part, stainless.

IMHO

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,656 Senior Member
    Yes but what color are your Merrel open toed sandals and your murse? I mean as long as we are coordinating :tooth:
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,547 Senior Member
    Blued
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Yes but what color are your Merrel open toed sandals and your murse? I mean as long as we are coordinating :tooth:

Toenail polish needs to match if the sandals are open toed!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!
    Stainless
    orchidman wrote: »
    If it is going to be a 'work' firearm then stainless is best. If its going to be a 'safe queen' and used at a range then blued is the way to go.

( Yes, I know my T3 lite has a black barrel, but if you look closely at the last pic I posted up you will see that I 'rattlecanned' the stainless barrel with matt black paint as it cut down on its reflectability......Heck, even BH has rattlecanned his wood stocked Sako 75's stainless barrel...........made it look like a $10 whore but it was a practical solution)

Hey, nothing wrong with a $10 Whore! Hell, what with the price of gasoline and all, somethin' needs to be cheap! Hey I've seen a couple that weren't too bad lookin' either!
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,302 Senior Member
    Stainless
    Stainless.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 990 Senior Member
    Blued
    JKP wrote: »

Matching guns is for TV Cowboys.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,575 Senior Member
    Blued hands down.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.