Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Remarkable restraint? Lucky?

RugerFanRugerFan Senior MemberEupora, MSPosts: 2,814 Senior Member
This happened several days ago in a VERY small community. The man is lucky to still be alive. According to the information in this story I think the deputy would have been justified if he had shot the man. Did the deputy show remarkable restraint? Is the deputy just absolutely lucky he wasn't shot while wrestling with the man?

http://www.wtva.com/news/national/story/Man-charged-with-assaulting-deputy/9bfoAIAzsE-DhkXpFOdtpQ.cspx

PITTSBORO, Miss. (WTVA) -- The investigation continues into a disturbance Sunday night in Calhoun County.

Sheriff Greg Pollan says deputies were called to a home by the neighbor of a man they say was showing a firearm.

When a deputy arrived, he found Glen Ellison, 67, outside the home.

Pollan says the deputy approached Ellison who was extremely combative.

Ellison walked over to a truck and picked up a handgun out of the back and got into a scuffle with the deputy.

The man hit the deputy in the head with the weapon.

The deputy wrestled the gun away from Ellison, who ran inside his home, locked the door and refused to come out.

Pollan says they forced their way into the home and took him into custody.

Ellison is charged with aggravated assault on a police officer, simple assault on a police officer and resisting arrest.

He is being held in the Calhoun County jail on a $100,000 bond

Replies

• N320AWN320AW Senior Member North Georgia MountainsPosts: 648 Senior Member
    RugerFan wrote: »
    This happened several days ago in a VERY small community. The man is lucky to still be alive. According to the information in this story I think the deputy would have been justified if he had shot the man. Did the deputy show remarkable restraint? Is the deputy just absolutely lucky he wasn't shot while wrestling with the man?

http://www.wtva.com/news/national/story/Man-charged-with-assaulting-deputy/9bfoAIAzsE-DhkXpFOdtpQ.cspx

PITTSBORO, Miss. (WTVA) -- The investigation continues into a disturbance Sunday night in Calhoun County.

Sheriff Greg Pollan says deputies were called to a home by the neighbor of a man they say was showing a firearm.

When a deputy arrived, he found Glen Ellison, 67, outside the home.

Pollan says the deputy approached Ellison who was extremely combative.

Ellison walked over to a truck and picked up a handgun out of the back and got into a scuffle with the deputy.

The man hit the deputy in the head with the weapon.

The deputy wrestled the gun away from Ellison, who ran inside his home, locked the door and refused to come out.

Pollan says they forced their way into the home and took him into custody.

Ellison is charged with aggravated assault on a police officer, simple assault on a police officer and resisting arrest.

The deputy showed a great deal of restraint. He definitely WAS lucky.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    What N320AW said. All I can add is Glen Ellison is a maroon and probably certifiable.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Colorado!Posts: 7,711 Senior Member
    There is a lot more to this story. This is what happens when you know the people in your community and they know you. This is a great example of restraint and community involved officers. My guess is the officer knew the man by first name and he has some form of dementia. This officer is invested in his community and see every citizen as a person rather than a potential offender......JMHO I could be way off.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Eupora, MSPosts: 2,814 Senior Member
    Elk creek wrote: »
    There is a lot more to this story. This is what happens when you know the peoe in your community and they know you. This is a great exams of restraint and community involved officers. My guess the officer knew the man by first name and he has some form of dementia. This officer s invested in his community and see every citizen as a person rather than a potential offender......JMHO I could be way off.

I agree. I do think there's more to it than what's been published
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    RugerFan wrote: »

I know there's at least three Calhoun Counties in the U.S. This one where I live in Texas, the one in Mississippi, and theres one up I think in Michigan or somewhere. Their may be more.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,754 Senior Member
    Elk creek wrote: »
    There is a lot more to this story. This is what happens when you know the peoe in your community and they know you. This is a great exams of restraint and community involved officers. My guess the officer knew the man by first name and he has some form of dementia. This officer s invested in his community and see every citizen as a person rather than a potential offender......JMHO I could be way off.

Yes, this. He probably knew the guy who was older (not as old as I am) and probably suffering from dementia. I had a woman about 60 years old pull a gun on me once, she was crazy and I knew it. Got a call, "Woman with a gun" on the street. When I got there along with my partner, she was in her house. High steps and a small porch which only had room for me to knock on the door. She came to the door with a gun in her hand pointed at my belly, smiling like the crazy woman she was. There was a screen door between her and me, and thinking back on it, if that screen door hadn't been there, I likely would have grabbed the gun with my left hand, which would have been the most natural action to deflect it while drawing my gun. But without that because of the screen door, I shucked my gun out in as fast a draw as I can make (VERY fast) ready to dust her and she threw that gun back behind her instantly and started cackling. By the time my gun was leveled on her, her gun was headed to the floor. It was a tear-gas gun I found out later. But it sure looked real to me. I was pissed because I almost shot her, and would have shot her if she hadn't immediately thrown the gun down. (Forcefully). I didn't charge her crazy ass; she was crazy. One of those characters all cops who've worked in any town for a while knew, her and her sister...both crazy. Some problems to draw law enforcement attention, but no violence problems with either of them. Her name was Gabriella Kid, sister was Murdell Kid, who was crazier than she was. If it had been someone I didn't know was crazy as a loon, I would have charged her.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.