Loading for the Rossi .44mag lever gun

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,063 Senior Member
I've found some gas checked 240 and 300 grain cast boolits to play with. I am loading for a rifle so the loads can be fairly stout. My Rossi has proven itself over and over with the max loads I've run in her before. Now the stock...I've made it known that I hate the curved butt plate on the stock. It's painful because my shoulder area is too large to get the curved plate to sit right for my geometry.

I was browsing Boyds and found this:

3Y0571515117.jpg

Perfect. I'll have one in the mail soon enough. I want to replace the buckhorn sight on the rifle with something more to my liking. Maybe a ghost ring or something faster for my eye than the buckhorn.
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,452 Senior Member
    I'll be putting a tang mounted rear sight and globe front on my Rossi .45 Colt when it gets here. I've not experienced the joy of shooting a Rossi with the curved butt plate. But, I guess I'll give it a try.

Keep me me posted on the stock. If it's a significant improvement in comfort and grain, I may consider it.

Do do they sell sets?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,569 Senior Member
    The curved buttplate isn't much fun to shoot with anything that kicks. On Winchesters, it was called the "rifle buttplate," whereas the flat one was the "carbine buttplate." Which is more comfortable, IMO.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Jason,
    What is the wist rate on the Rossi Barrel. I have been wanting a lever in 44mag, but I don't like the crazy slow twist of the marlins.
    It's because I hate Trump.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,063 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    I'll be putting a tang mounted rear sight and globe front on my Rossi .45 Colt when it gets here. I've not experienced the joy of shooting a Rossi with the curved butt plate. But, I guess I'll give it a try.

Keep me me posted on the stock. If it's a significant improvement in comfort and grain, I may consider it.

Do do they sell sets?

Yes. They list forend pieces as well. Stock is $65 and the forend is $46.

I'll keep ya posted.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    Jason,
    What is the wist rate on the Rossi Barrel. I have been wanting a lever in 44mag, but I don't like the crazy slow twist of the marlins.

1 in 30". I've heard.ones from the late 80s had the more traditional 1 in 38" twist. It's never been an issue for what I do, but now I'm curious what mine is. I think it was made in 1994-ish.

Do do they sell sets?

I had a tang sight on my 99 Savage. They look great, but interfere with where you put your thumb without getting it mangled from recoil. I've got one on a .22 rifle now.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    I want to replace the buckhorn sight on the rifle with something more to my liking. Maybe a ghost ring or something faster for my eye than the buckhorn.

Is your rifle drilled and tapped for a receiver sight like a Williams 5D or something similar? That's a good compromise between the buckhorn and a tang sight. For a ghost ring effect, just unscrew the sight aperture and look through the threaded hole- - - -works great for low-light shooting on the rifles I own with Williams sights!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,705 Senior Member
    You know there is a trick to shooting those old steel crescent buttplates? You have to use the old style of rifle shooting stance. Instead of squaring off to the gun like we do today with your elbows tucked in (which puts the bottom edge of that style stock straight on your pectoral muscle) you need to take a half step with your off foot so you are facing about 2:00 from the target (10:00 if a lefty) and raise your elbow into the classic chicken wing. The buttplates will then rest securely wrapped around your shoulder muscle and it's actually a darn comfortable and VERY controllable way of shooting those older guns. Both my early 1900s '94 in .30 WCF and my Savage 99 in .300 Savage have the steel crescent buttplates and they are a pleasure to shoot as long as you hold them right.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,725 Senior Member
    Until we see it shoot at 1000 yards no one is interested.
    Basically THIS works
    Dec04_CallousClyde.jpg

THIS does not...

img_3322.jpg
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    What I call the "chicken wing" is with the elbow down and close to the body, like a chicken wing. Like in the lower photograph.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    Gene L wrote: »
    What I call the "chicken wing" is with the elbow down and close to the body, like a chicken wing. Like in the lower photograph.
    Interesting! Well the folks I've trained with in the last few years have taken great pleasure in smaking down my elbow telling me to tuck down the chicken wing. :uhm:
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,452 Senior Member
    Chicken Wing

GW523H763_zpssqqv45zk.jpeg

Bad.

Unless you're static range shooting, comp shooting, crescent buttstock shooting, etc.

In a fluid environment with less than friendly acquaintances............

NO-COOKIE_zpswco7dmyp.png
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,732 Senior Member
    Tactical Cowboy Shootin :roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::rotflmao::rotflmao::spittingcoffee:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    My trained life is shooting from modern stances/positions. And so is my hunting. If I encounter a snap shot situation I am going to revert to trained behavior. That's means curved buttstock plates are sucky.

Do do they sell sets?

Buy this one.

http://www.rossiusa.com/product-details.cfm?id=164&category=8&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

Then you can shoot .45 Colt and .454 Casull.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,365 Senior Member
    Ok get the stainless version and the laminate stock set in the color of your choice. The nutmeg or green would be cool. If you are going full on modern
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,053 Senior Member
    when i got my 44 revolver many year ago and ran some factory gas checked 44s, thru it i can say that they spoke with authority.

you may want to look at some recoil pads for you new stock. a friend got some Sorbothane recoil pads from a local family shop in or near Longview WA and he put them on his shotgun. Just loves it too.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    My trained life is shooting from modern stances/positions. And so is my hunting. If I encounter a snap shot situation I am going to revert to trained behavior. That's means curved buttstock plates are sucky.

I get it. I guess after so many years shooting both types I just kind of switch without thinking now. Anyway that's a very nice stock you ordered.