New .260 Remington in the fold.

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 20,737 Senior Member
Let's just say.....I have a plethora of parts lying around. Waiting for that opportune moment to put them to good use. Well, that opportunity presented itself in the guise of a Remington 700 SPS in .260 Remington. Having a 24" barrel with 1-8" twist was too much to resist. So.......I didn't.

700SPS-prod.ashx_zpsetu7d1pc.jpeg

Got it home yesterday and immediately yanked off the unwanted parts. Those being the X-Mark Pro Trigger and the factory stock.

B1403569-6176-4904-BC87-56969379AC5E_zpsbbkawnro.jpg

With the offending parts removed, I set about installing the more suitable accoutrements I had laying around. An older HS Precision stock that was already coated and bedded. A Timney trigger set to 1 pound pull weight. A set of Burris Extreme bases with Leupold Rifleman Rings. A Sinclair anti-cant device. Topped off with a Leupold TS-30 A2 3-9x scope.

Snapped it all together with appropriate torque settings and..............

260%20Remington%20SPS%2031_zpsgy4llq9k.jpg

260%20Remington%20SPS%2018_zpspwz1dwck.jpg

I then "lapped" the barrel with diatomaceous earth (Rem 40x Bore Cleaner) and VFG Pellets. No chipmunks were harmed in the breaking in of this barrel. Cleaned everything out and lubed the bolt. All was well.

260%20Remington%20SPS%2025_zpszhowlmn5.jpg

Trying to chamber my existing .260 Remington loads resulted in a No-Go. These loads utilize 130gr Berger VLD bullets which I currently use in both my custom XP-100 SP and Bench Rest Rifle. The bullets are apparently seated too long for this factory chamber. So, I necked down 6 Hornady .308 Win brass cases and stuffed some 140gr A-Max bullets in the case to Hornady Manual COAL and a load of 42gr H4350 to use as test fodder. Need some once fired cases to measure the length to throat.

955DA37D-A598-4218-8D69-7C54A6F3761F_zpsfleivbsi.jpg

Gonna try and hit the range tomorrow morning before the heat gets stupid. See if the gun goes bang and all. Then, once I'm able to measure length to lands, I work some actual loads up for this rifle.

My goal is to utilize this as a general purpose hunting rifle with the 140gr Hornady A-Max bullets. Total weight for this rig is right at 8 pounds and though not a lightweight..........is actually a right handy rifle. Well balanced, it seems to carry nicely and shoulders perfectly. I'm rather pleased overall. Now to see if it shoots.

260%20Remington%20SPS%2013_zpscoexbgxw.jpg
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,177 Senior Member
    Nicely done...love it....you suck....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,726 Senior Member
    Good looken rifle. Glad that you didn't hurt any chpmunks, hope she shoots as good as she looks for you.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,737 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Some one here needs lots of details. Bullet velocity etc. I've talked him out of a 6.5 Gaymore, he just needs confirmation. He's listening to reason, but, kids. Anyway, carry on

:up:
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,099 Senior Member
    Looks good!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,497 Senior Member
    When you broke in the barrel did you dance around the campfire counter clockwise naked? Coming to think of it with a 1 lb trigger maybe you should do the Soft Shoe?

Either way, You Suck!
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • wizard78wizard78 Senior Member Posts: 1,004 Senior Member
    Very nice!!

You_suck_zps23bb3588.gif

“When guns are outlawed, only patriots will have guns.”
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Very nice!
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,982 Senior Member
    So, how does a .260 compare to a .270?
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,945 Senior Member
    Nice :up:
    :yousuck:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,566 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »

It's just a little smaller. Nice job & :yousuck:

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    You are something of an artist when it comes to assembling these rifles. You suck.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,807 Senior Member
    Dang that is a looong looking barrel in your last photo.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,122 Senior Member
    Very nice. A .260Rem or .264Win is on my short list. As for short factory freebore, my Rem 700 280Rem is afflicted with the same. Bergers seat deeper in the case than with other rifles I own. Detracts a tad from powder capacity.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    He takes darn good photography too! He could make a fortune making those before and after ads like for weight loss meals and home gym equipment......................
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,246 Senior Member
    Very nice! And, of course, :yousuck:
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,845 Senior Member
    Barrel does look longer than 24". Nice rifle.
    NN wrote: »

It's shorter. Like me. So, it's inherently better.
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Dang that is a looong looking barrel in your last photo.

D

Optical illusion. It's 24" and the stock has a shorter forend. Making the barrel appear longer.
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Very nice. A .260Rem or .264Win is on my short list. As for short factory freebore, my Rem 700 280Rem is afflicted with the same. Bergers seat deeper in the case than with other rifles I own. Detracts a tad from powder capacity.

My 6.5-06 should be ready to go soon. Then, I'll have a nice set of long and short 6.5s.

Once im able to measure the length to lands, I might be able to regain some of that powder capacity and seat the bullets longer than these test rounds. I just went "factory length" to get the fired cases.
    Thanks all. Appreciate the sucks and kind words.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    It's shorter. Like me. So, it's inherently better.

2d2b78450188318a77c691f28893d5c0.jpg

It looks a very well proportioned rifle.

Very nice. :up:

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,122 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I need a .260 and you suck!!!

Those are at the LGS...where you are spousal trespassed...
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Well done now go shoot it, give a range report on that sweet looking rifle and make me hate you a little more than I already do!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,379 Senior Member
    I am really, REALLY liking the color you chose for that stock, previously done or otherwise. Can't wait to see it shoot!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    I am really, REALLY liking the color you chose for that stock, previously done or otherwise. Can't wait to see it shoot!

I originally had that stock on my .243 lite several years ago before I switch it for a different HS. So, this one has been sitting on my shelf ever since. Just waiting for something to put it on.

I think it works well in this system. Wide enough to be stable, short enough to be practical. Block and bedded, it should do what I need.
    timc wrote: »
    Well done now go shoot it, give a range report on that sweet looking rifle and make me hate you a little more than I already do!

Got side tracked today. Maybe some time this week.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Got side tracked today. Maybe some time this week.

Cool, the .260 has been one of those calibers that has called to me for a long time. You just enable me enough to finally bust out for one.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    Initial range report:

260%20Remington%20SPS%208_zpsdgdyvejz.jpg

Took the .260 Remington to the range yesterday to get some fired cases in order to measure length to lands. Just used the Hornady manual seat depth and picked a charge from Hodgdon to make the gun go bang.

DSC_0006_zpsr4oddxtw.jpg

DSCN2842_zpsxz9rrk6p.jpg

Fired 1 round at 50 yards after bore sighting looking through the barrel. Then, fired a 3 round group at 100 yards.

DSCN2878_zpsggzggfqy.jpg

The top bullet hole was my first shot. I'll claim that one as operator brain fart. Being my first round with intent through the gun. Yeah.........I jacked it up. But, the two below it did alright.

I saved the last two round to get a general idea of velocity with the current load.

2,640 fps

Yeah........that is unacceptable. But, seeing as this is not a serious load and simply one used for getting fired cases.........I hope to improve upon that. So now, it's off to the Cave to taylow some test loats for this gun.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,909 Senior Member
    Freezer wrote: »
    When you broke in the barrel did you dance around the campfire counter clockwise naked? Coming to think of it with a 1 lb trigger maybe you should do the Soft Shoe?

Either way, You Suck!

No man, you can't be too gentle! You need to dance around that campfire with a knee jerking native American Dance of some sort, with as much passion as you would if dancing for rain after a 7 year drought. And to supplement the campfire some you need about 100 incense sticks placed evenly around the fire. This will wake up the barrel gods and activate the lunar rays which when combined with the smoke and shadows of the naked dancing figures will treat the metal of the barrel and smooth it more perfectly. It's a very complicated process ya know!!!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,909 Senior Member
    Seriously, if I needed another deer rifle right now it would be either a .260 or 7mm08. These are both in my realm of good solid hunting rifles. My only point with one is if I wanted to shoot ridiculously long range, supposing i could see that far, I would build a 6.5 -06. Cause dats Mo Betta!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.