New .260 Remington in the fold.

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    After measuring the chamber, I'll be able to seat the bullets a tad bit further out.

Hornady Manual calls for 2.155" BTO length. Which is what the above test load was set at.

I'll be able to seat to 2.280" BTO length after measuring with a fired case.

Ain't much, but, it'll reduce pressure a hair and maybe allow a little more powder in the case. I do wish I could seat longer, but......oh well.

Time to start load work.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,102 Senior Member
    Shoots like piss. I'll take it off your hands.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Shoots like piss. I'll take it off your hands.

Send me your address and wait by the door. It's on the way.

:-)
    Zee wrote: »
    Send me your address and wait by the door. It's on the way.

:-)

I got strong feet.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    snake284 wrote: »
    Seriously, if I needed another deer rifle right now it would be either a .260 or 7mm08. These are both in my realm of good solid hunting rifles. My only point with one is if I wanted to shoot ridiculously long range, supposing i could see that far, I would build a 6.5 -06. Cause dats Mo Betta!

With this .260 Remington and the 140gr A-Max........if I can attain 2,700 fps........which should be doable..........

I can maintain 1,700+ fps to 785 yards. Which is the velocity threshold for expansion of the A-Max bullet as per Hornady.

That'll do more than you'll ever need for deer sized game, Snake.
    Test loads made with the new seat depth.

1BF3B3DC-240A-4ED8-96AA-63154750C36A_zpsuskdudiw.jpg

Maybe I can hit the range tomorrow.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,765 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Maybe the range won't hit back.

:spittingcoffee: :up:

Like the rifle, like the way it shoots with thrown together case forming load, and I'm interested in how it does with the new loads. Looks like you have a winner!

I like those red tips on the bullets; they really need to make those tips out of glow in the dark stuff. I don't know why except it would be neat. They do glow under UV light; I tested some A-Max bullets in 7mm just for kicks once.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Maybe the range won't hit back.

That would be nice for a change.
    Assuming the 6.5-06 can make 3000 FPS, you can get out to 900 with that velocity. At least using the numbers supplied by Hornady and their ballistic calculator. Which is 875 yards farther than snake needs to be shooting at deer. :tooth:

Moot point as the A-Max is a match bullet and Snake is against using a "match" bullet for hunting. Hornady doesn't "recommend" it, ya see.

:jester:
    I think he was fine with it. It was BareAss , err, bare tracker that was against it. Only liked shooting boutique hunting bullets.

Oh no.......Snake and I have ........er......discussed the use of the A-Max quite in depth. I have proof.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    With this .260 Remington and the 140gr A-Max........if I can attain 2,700 fps........which should be doable..........

I can maintain 1,700+ fps to 785 yards. Which is the velocity threshold for expansion of the A-Max bullet as per Hornady.

That'll do more than you'll ever need for deer sized game, Snake.

Yeah I know, but hey, I'll probably never build a long range rifle. 500 yards is really pushing my ability at this age. My eyes aren't as bad as I tell it, but 700 yards? That's asking a lot.

All I'm saying is if I ever did I'd go full tilt bozo and build a long range 6.5ish rifle, I'd probably build something like a 6.5-06. But my age and eyes is why I say, if I get a 6.5 it will most likely be a .260 or possibly a swede. I know they're both great cartridges. And that one of yours is damn accurate. That's all I need.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,978 Senior Member
    Good start there!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Moot point as the A-Max is a match bullet and Snake is against using a "match" bullet for hunting. Hornady doesn't "recommend" it, ya see.

:jester:

Hey I've heard so much good about an A-Max bullet that I'm tempted to try some. But I'm getting older and not near as adventurous as I was a few years back, and the older you get the less you want to try something new and the more you tend to "Dance with what Brung you!" I have nothing against anybody using what they want. If Amax turns your crank, hey go for it. I'm happy for you. It's just that every time I try something new something bad seems to happen. Maybe because whatever it is isn't proven to me yet and I don't have confidence in it. But whatever it is, there's only a couple of bullets I'll use in my smaller bores and that includes all the way up to 8 x 57.

Only larger diameter bores I've had other bullets work for me and I have had one good experience on game with a Speer bullet in my 9.3x62. But it's the only time I've tried it, so that 270 grain Speer Hot Core is performing at 100%. So far so good.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    tennmike wrote: »
    :spittingcoffee: :up:

Like the rifle, like the way it shoots with thrown together case forming load, and I'm interested in how it does with the new loads. Looks like you have a winner!

I like those red tips on the bullets; they really need to make those tips out of glow in the dark stuff. I don't know why except it would be neat. They do glow under UV light; I tested some A-Max bullets in 7mm just for kicks once.

Then you'd have a Pollack tracer......:tooth:
    snake284 wrote: »
    I'd probably build something like a 6.5-06. But my age and eyes is why I say, if I get a 6.5 it will most likely be a .260 or possibly a swede.

Build both the .260 and the 6.5-06!!!!!!!!

I did!

:tooth:
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,225 Senior Member
    If you're inside of .75" on the first try with a random load, I can all but guarantee that you will have no trouble making it drive tacks. Looks great and will assuredly shoot way better than it already has. Vice nice!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Got to the range this evening for the load testing.

First off.......I hit and exceeded my target velocity! That, I am ecstatic about.

I now have a conundrum, though. The accuracy difference between the three loads is a WOPPING............

.194"

Max velocity attained: 2,783 fps

Smallest group: .340"

DSCN2882_zpspwmqkd55.jpg

DSCN2881_zpsjtakd5wt.jpg

DSCN2883_zpssmnkxyjv.jpg

Unfortunately, I didn't get a new velocity for the 42.0gr load with the new seat depth.

So, tonight I will load a couple with the 42.0gr charge to get a velocity. And..........since I'm not seeing pressure signs yet........I'm going to make some test loads with 43.5gr of H4350 and see if I can hit at or near 2,800 fps.

Just for science.

Otherwise, I'm going to have a hard time choosing a load to go with for this rifle. But, depending on tomorrows velocity.......the 42.0gr load looks pretty good.
    D-U-N......done.

Went back today to get the velocity off the 42.0gr loads and test an additional batch of 43.5gr loads.

Started off with the 42.0gr and ended up with 2,706 fps for velocity.

Then, I sat down to group the 43.5gr rounds. Allowing 5 min between shots..........I was able to flinch out this group.

Final%20Load%20and%20Zero%208-7-15%201_zpsojzfoamt.jpg

With a factory sporter barrel........I'll take .336"!

To top it off, I beat my target velocity and eked out 2,825 fps!!!!

Cue happy dance! I'm done with load work for this gun. Now.......to kill something with it.
    Next step will be to see how my Benchrest Rifle and XP-100 like this load.

One batch for all 3 would be saweet!! Even if the bench gun doesn't like it, I really hope the XP will. It's a hunting load after all.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,725 Senior Member
    Wow, you got that 140grainer moving out of that case, that'll do indeed.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    You have to love load development that simple.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Wow, you got that 140grainer moving out of that case, that'll do indeed.

43.5gr is over the Hodgdon Max Load. But, I'm seating longer than book and QL listed 43.0gr as their max. I decided to push .5gr further than QL and see what happened. Didn't seem to be any issues and it's fast and accurate. I'm happy.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,725 Senior Member
    43.5gr is over the Hodgdon Max Load. But, I'm seating longer than book and QL listed 43.0gr as their max. I decided to push .5gr further than QL and see what happened. Didn't seem to be any issues and it's fast and accurate. I'm happy.

I wish I could get 80 more grains of .338 bullet to go 2500fps in that case out of my .338 Fed, I have to get back on that project.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    I wish I could get 80 more grains of .338 bullet to go 2500fps in that case out of my .338 Fed, I have to get back on that project.

I still have the .338 Fed as a shadow in my mind. But, I've never seen/heard it be be an easy reloading endeavor. So, I've been hesitant to take it on.

We got Jerm's rifle shooting. But, it was a picky son of a goat. I really hope you get it running. I still have hope of maybe getting one myself. Some day.
    100 rounds ready to go.

4B7DDFEA-D25B-4476-BD44-C4D1129D330B_zpscci7uqhp.jpg

In the next couple days, I'm gonna try them in the XP. And cross my fingers.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,500 Senior Member
    Pretty darn impressive, Zee. I gotta get a 260. It sure seems like a sweetheart of a round.
    100 rounds ready to go.

4B7DDFEA-D25B-4476-BD44-C4D1129D330B_zpscci7uqhp.jpg

In the next couple days, I'm gonna try them in the XP. And cross my fingers.

Beautiful. Which MTM case part number is that box?
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Beautiful. Which MTM case part number is that box?

Medium Rifle
    R-100

At my seat depth, the bullet tips just barely miss touching the box top.
    FYI
    Well, the loads seem to work in my XP-100 decently, I guess.

IMG_1208_zpslerkodtq.jpg

IMG_1210_zpsj27ebbzs.jpg

Hot as Hell at the range this afternoon. Annnnnnnnnnnddd, I forgot my pistol rest. I........am........an idiot. So, I had to use a bipod and rear bag instead. It did alright.

But, the trigger nut kept screwing the pooch today. Two rounds touching..........and shank the third. Adjusted 1/4" right.

IMG_1215_zpsvt9gd4oz.jpg

Two rounds touching...............aaaaaaaannnnnnnnd shank the third.

IMG_1216_zps8rbbvm9d.jpg

****!!!!

I got my velocity, which was 2,660 fps from the 17" barrel and called it a day.