OMG! Razor Dobbs Just killed a huge West Texas Mule Deer with a 10 MM!!!

2»

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,930 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Yes, it's definitely rare to see a whitetail that enormous.

The big telling point for me with mule deer is the pale, white face/muzzle area, though the branched main beams are also a dead giveaway. That whitetail has one branched point that forks, but not the big, distinct diversion where it looks like two distinct main beams with their own points.

I think I'm getting it. The Mule deer looks like it has two distinct racks, one on each side. Maybe that's why when referring to points they call it a Western Count because they only count one side?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,629 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    I think I'm getting it. The Mule deer looks like it has two distinct racks, one on each side. Maybe that's why when referring to points they call it a Western Count because they only count one side?

A mule deer has bifurcated antlers.

Look that up in your Funk and Wagnalls. :tooth:
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,930 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    A mule deer has bifurcated antlers.

Look that up in your Funk and Wagnalls. :tooth:

I don't have a Funk and Wagnalls handy but my good friend growing up was named Funk. Seriously, it took a while to find a really good example but I did. The way I would explain it is that with a mule deer, the whole main beam forks, but with a white tale, there's the main beam which doesn't fork but off which all the rest of the antlers or points grow. So they should rename that term when speaking of deer from Bifurcated to Biforkated, :tooth:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.