Hog Bait

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 21,851 Senior Member
For any of you who hunt in a state where feeding or baiting hogs is legal, here's a recipe. Get a couple 6 gallon buckets, pour them about 1/2 to 2/3s full of corn, not all the way full because the wet corn will swell. Cracked will work even better because it doesn't go through a feeder and being cut up or cracked will allow faster fermenting. Cover the corn with water, then add about a teaspoon of baker's yeast and a couple tablespoons to a half cup of sugar (Or hell maybe some cherry Jello). Let it sit for 4 or 5 days. Add some hog wild or some cherry, strawberry or other red colored jello powder or at least pour a bottle of Big Red Soda in it, and mix it in. Hogs love that. Then if you have coons, you can add about a cup or two of Diesel Fuel. Believe me, the hogs won't care and the coons will avoid it like the plague. If there's any pigs in the neighborhood, they'll be there soon. Oh yeah for this just throw it on the ground or take a post hole digger and dig some holes about a foot and a half deep and pour some of this corn in each hole up to about 6-8 inches from the ground level and cover it up with dirt, stomping on it with the heel of your boot to pack it. It's a little work, but the hogs will smell it and root it out. But the cows or coons, OR crows even won't bother it. Hogs love to root. It's what they do.
Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    Thanks for the tips, snake. We used to mix corn and stuff called Hog Wild. Powdery stuff that smells like fruit. Thinking back, we could have accomplished the same thing with Jello powder, probably for less. We mixed it dry, in plastic bags like you get your groceries in.

What does the diesel do, besides keep the raccoons away? Wouldn't the diesel fuel be poisonous?
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    That's all the Diesel does is repel the coons and other varmints. It doesn't seem to bother the hogs.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    USUFB wrote: »
    Wouldn't the diesel fuel be poisonous?
    I guess it would depend on how much was ingested, it would, however, do a good job of worming the hogs.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Where I have been hunting for the last 25 years all you needed to add to the corn was the ground and the pigs would come like flies!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,104 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    For any of you who hunt in a state where feeding or baiting hogs is legal, here's a recipe. Get a couple 6 gallon buckets, pour them about 1/2 to 2/3s full of corn, not all the way full because the wet corn will swell. Cracked will work even better because it doesn't go through a feeder and being cut up or cracked will allow faster fermenting. Cover the corn with water, then add about a teaspoon of baker's yeast and a couple tablespoons to a half cup of sugar (Or hell maybe some cherry Jello). Let it sit for 4 or 5 days. Add some hog wild or some cherry, strawberry or other red colored jello powder or at least pour a bottle of Big Red Soda in it, and mix it in. Hogs love that. Then if you have coons, you can add about a cup or two of Diesel Fuel. Believe me, the hogs won't care and the coons will avoid it like the plague. If there's any pigs in the neighborhood, they'll be there soon. Oh yeah for this just throw it on the ground or take a post hole digger and dig some holes about a foot and a half deep and pour some of this corn in each hole up to about 6-8 inches from the ground level and cover it up with dirt, stomping on it with the heel of your boot to pack it. It's a little work, but the hogs will smell it and root it out. But the cows or coons, OR crows even won't bother it. Hogs love to root. It's what they do.

Thanks for the recipe. Me and the other hog shooters in my group will give it a go. We've had a couple feeders stolen already and we've resorted to these sorts of baiting methods more frequently.

Ross, TJ Max and other discount stores like that sell off brand jams, jellies and even corn syrup too. It's cheap and makes a great sweetner for hog bait.

And the coons are welcome...all...are welcome... :devil:
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Some old wildlife management tricks that work....Go by the spice rack in the supermarket and get a small bottle of Anise and squirt just a few squirts of this on your corn and everything that makes a living in the woods will come by to investigate. Bears especially will come to anise oil. Why I don't know, but it works! You can pour used/burnt motor oil out on the ground next to a sapling or fence post or just on the bare dirt, actually, and hogs will come to it like crazy to just rub in it and on the post. Mix a little diesel fuel in it and they'll love it!
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Here I thought this thread was about Rosie O...
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,583 Senior Member
    Snake284,

Interesting mix for the hogs. Over the last 25 plus years I've tried some of these homemade bate mixes. I never say never but I've not seen any of these mixes bring in any more hogs that weren’t already showing up on the game cameras. Your mix has one ingredient that I use when we have kids, friends and family from out of state come out to the ranch to hunt.

I never want anyone who comes out to the ranch to hunt to leave without seeing hogs and at least getting a shot on a hog. No hunt is guaranteed but I really stress over those hunts and do my best to put the kids where the hogs are consistently showing up. On those hunts I’ll spread three or four packs of Jello (they seem partial to watermelon flavor on my ranch :cool2:) on the ground under the feeder and throw it up into the mesquite trees so the wind will carry the scent. More times than not when I do this we see the hogs about 20 minutes earlier than normal. I think the fine Jello powders scent in the trees travels farther than what’s on the ground.

I’m gonna pass your mix to my neighbor who loves to try out these concoctions! Thanks for sharing!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,728 Senior Member
    I have heard a lot of people say the jell thing really works. I need to try that.

One thing , after you mix your bait, put it in a hog pipe (google it) and chain it to a creosote coated telephone pole section. Hogs will rub on creosote poles enough to eventually break them. It helps them De-flea themselves. One bonus on the hog pipe is that the pigs will make enough noise to wake you up in your blind
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Bullsi, check your IMs, your storage is full.

Anyway, thanks for the advice on the Creosote posts. Hogs are weird. They like anything with creosote, Diesel and any kind of mineral spirit, and Jello, or big red. The creosote and Diesel must be because what you said, it must de flea them. They like sweet stuff too. And as Jeff said above, I don't think you will draw hogs from far away with anything. They will show up at your feeder eventually if you have them on the property, but the jello and all that mentioned just seems to lure them in to where you are specifically and get them out of the brush where you can't see them. But any red fruity concoction they do like. However, I knew a guy that would cut up onions on top of a pile of corn and pour buttermilk on it all. He swore this worked better than anything and he didn't even ferment his corn.
    Some old wildlife management tricks that work....Go by the spice rack in the supermarket and get a small bottle of Anise and squirt just a few squirts of this on your corn and everything that makes a living in the woods will come by to investigate. Bears especially will come to anise oil. Why I don't know, but it works! You can pour used/burnt motor oil out on the ground next to a sapling or fence post or just on the bare dirt, actually, and hogs will come to it like crazy to just rub in it and on the post. Mix a little diesel fuel in it and they'll love it!
    I have read about using anise oil for baiting for years, also, licorice candy.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,651 Senior Member
    One of the guys I used to hunt with would sprinkle strawberry jello on a rotted, dead tree, and 2 weeks later there would be nothing left but a blackened trench where the dead tree used to lay. This was a place in the river bottom where there were plenty of hogs, already. He lived close by and would often kill 10-15 a week.
    bisley wrote: »
    One of the guys I used to hunt with would sprinkle strawberry jello on a rotted, dead tree, and 2 weeks later there would be nothing left but a blackened trench where the dead tree used to lay. This was a place in the river bottom where there were plenty of hogs, already. He lived close by and would often kill 10-15 a week.

This is what I've heard too and the big reason I pour it on the rotted corn. Something about any red berry they love. Or even a cherry.

I absolutely HATE Anise. But then again I'm not trying to lure myself, and Hogs love a lot of crap I wouldn't eat, like tires and creosote and Diesel and even manure for instance.

I'm definitely going to try this. I have about three good places where I can shoot hogs on this property, and I'll try different things at different places. But something about Anise makes me think a hog will love it.
    cpj wrote: »
    I'd rather eat tires, creosote, and diesel before I ate anything with anise.
    You eat Italian sausage?
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,213 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    I have read about using anise oil for baiting for years, also, licorice candy.
    They suggested that for the bear clinic I was at a couple weeks ago too.
  • Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 448 Member
    Koolaid works also must be the same as the jello powder
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,529 Senior Member
    But something about Anise makes me think a hog will love it.
    You should see some of the beauts that used to come in to Sambuca.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    You should see some of the beauts that used to come in to Sambuca.

OK I'll bite, what the hell is Sambuca?
    Johnny Reb, my son uses koolaid. He said it seemed to work as good as the jello. It's the red berry thing, hogs don't give a damn if it's koolaid or jello or soda pop.

Hey, they may really come in to Red wine, Here have a drink porky!!!:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,583 Senior Member
    OK I'll bite, what the hell is Sambuca?

As my wife would say it's Japanese carburetor cleaner they drink! :rotflmao:
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
    Jeff in TX wrote: »
    As my wife would say it's Japanese carburetor cleaner they drink! :rotflmao:[/QUOTE

Well, no wonder I didn't know what it was. I hate all things Anise, even when I taste it briefly in Italian Sausage. Maybe that's why I like good ol' Czech, German, or Polish sausage more better.

But I'm not so anal retentive that I won't use it for hog bait. Hell if everybody knew all what wild pigs eat, hogs would be overrunning the world right now, because NOBODY would be eating them.

Some thangs better left unsaid.....

...:rotflmao::roll2::rotflmao::roll2::rotflmao::roll2::rotflmao:
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,651 Senior Member
    I've seen a little piggy with its head turned sideways, eating Bahia grass seeds - if they can live on that, they ain't going away from starvation, around here.
    cpj wrote: »
    I would not like it----did not like the Greek stuff either
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Sambuca....derived from Sambucus canadensis or Elder-Berry and the wine made from the berry-like fruit. The most widely ranging plant in North America. Ranges from tropical southern Florida to the Arctic Tundra, and ocean to ocean across the good ole (or used to be) USA. The berries are a favored wildlife forage and probably have a trace of the anise in them. Bears especially relish elderberries, but everything that lives in the woods eats 'em!