Importance of a clean shot and the right gun

twatwa Senior MemberPosts: 2,231 Senior Member
Not really sure if this belongs in the hunting section or not, but here it goes. I have had a nuisance squirrel in my front yard tree for the last few months, it had made a nest and has been tearing up wood around my house and has actually gotten into my attic through a vent a few times. I have an old crossman 760 (I think) bb / pellet gun (pump up gun) in the garage and found it tonight when I was cleaning and moving stuff around. I found the old gun with some BB's loaded in it and put one in the chamber, pumped it up about 10 times and decided to put one through the nest. That woke him up, he jumped out of the nest and ran up the tree about 10 foot, I loaded another round and quickly pumped it up the same 10 pumps or so and took another shot, I didn't have a clean head shot so I just tried to get a pieces of him before he ran off, which I did, I hit him about dead center, he jumped on the roof in dire pain and hid under the overhang. I loaded another BB, pumped it up again and made a clean head shot, rolling down the side of the roof, he fell over the side onto the ground and after a minute or so finally perished. This incident just reminded me how important the right gun for the job and a clean shot means. 10 to 15 years ago I wouldn't have batted an eye at this episode, (just a squirrel right?) but I must be getting old, because this bothered the heck out of me.

Replies

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,701 Senior Member
    Good to see that it bothered you ( no disrespect intended). It means you still have the right attitude to respecting what you hunt and proper hunting ethics.

I have hunted with guys who showed absolutely no respect for their intended target, needless to say, I only hunted with them once.

( When I do culls, I still try to show respect to the critturs concerned, however that is not always possible and circumstances sometimes mean that I have to suspend in part that 'ethic')
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,833 Senior Member
    We get more soft-hearted as we get older...this is normal. Causing a critter undue suffering should bother folks to some extent...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,257 Senior Member
    The problem probably wasn't the gun, it was the ammo. A .177 pellet instead of a BB probably would have been much more effective. BB's just don't retain much energy downrange- - - -OK for paper punching, not so much for shots on game.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    If you were laying there would the squirrel care? :deadhorse: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,551 Senior Member
    I have let several nice whitetails walk away, over the last few years, because they didn't offer me the shot that I knew would put them to sleep permanently with the minimum amount of distress.

I'm not squeamish, in the least - I just think that a magnificent creature deserves a dignified end. Oddly, this extends to the 'lesser' creatures, as the years go by. I only take head shots with .22LR's on squirrels, having shot dozens in my youth that had to be chased down and finished off, after shooting them with 12 gauge No. 6's. I don't get near as many, but 95% are DRT or clean misses.

I even felt bad, a couple years ago, when I had to chase down a wounded feral hog, with darkness setting in, and it took 4 shots of .45 ACP to end it's misery. That's saying a lot, in a part of the country where feral hogs are considered vermin, to be hunted to extinction, whenever the opportunity exists. My hunting partners, that day, thought I put out way too much effort, but I guess some folks are just wired differently than others.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,489 Senior Member
    For the last couple of weeks there has been something in the yard driving the dogs nuts, 2 nights ago they got it, it was a possum and they tore into it, I called them off and killed it with one point blank shot to the head with a .177 CO2 pistol.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,257 Senior Member
    Sometimes it takes a possum awhile to realize it's dead. About a year ago one took three 300 grain hardcasts from my .45 Colt Blackhawk before it decided to give up.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite