.243 - 85 grain or 100 grain?

bisleybisley Senior MemberPosts: 10,722 Senior Member
For whitetails/Feral hogs? I have never shot a deer with a .243, but my SIL shot a hog with my rifle with 100 grain Core-Lokt factory loads and said the wound was impressive. I have both (85 and 100) in Sierra Game Kings that I'm gonna load over Varget. I'm leaning toward 100 grain because the rifle is sighted for them and I have no testimony from hunters on 85 grain. This will be fired from a carbine, a Remngton Model 600 Mohawk with a medium contour barrel, if that matters.

Logically, I'm thinking both would be fine, in the 50-200 yard range, but it would be nice for somebody to pipe in with their own experience.

Replies

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,810 Senior Member
    My rifle likes Speer 100 gr boat tails, over H4350 and CCI large rifle primers.
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    ..... This will be fired from a carbine, a Remngton Model 600 Mohawk with a medium contour barrel, if that matters.

I do not believe you have such rifle, no photo.

It is a visual medium. :wink:

Please. :drool:

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,930 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    My rifle likes Speer 100 gr boat tails, over H4350 and CCI large rifle primers.

All I can say is I had better luck with Sierra 100 grain than Speer. I had a couple deer I know I hit run off and die. I found one a couple days later and it was a pass through. The Game King would go in and expand and hardly ever make it out the other side. For my own experience I cannot say enough about the plain jane no gimmicks Game King. They kill deer and hogs about as good as anything I've ever used.

Now, whether 100 or 85 grain bullets? Back then all the gun writers dissed the lighter bullets, probably justly, because bullet technology left a bit to be desired. But nowadays bullets are just better. They expand but also hold together. And I hear people using lighter bullets a lot nowadays. In fact I have some 85 grain Game Kings for my wife's .243 and I've got some loaded up and they shoot good, so I'm thinking of trying them. But the 100 grain bullets do give me a little more warm feeling at this point. One thing, out of a .243 at about 3,000 FPS a 100 grain bullet is very deadly on deer.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • sherwoodsherwood Senior Member Posts: 1,215 Senior Member
    I've only used Remington Core-lock 100gr bullets in mine. Kills deer right nice.
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,205 Senior Member
    Hornady makes an 6mm 105 grain A-Max that is a death ray on deer...no reason it shouldn't do the same on a hog...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    Winchester 100gr Power points are giant killers.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,552 Senior Member
    100) in Sierra Game Kings

This is what the wife has been taking decent sized whitetails since I built her the 243.

After I get done repairing horse and motorcycle I will see if I am alive enough to get the load out of the mancave.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,772 Senior Member
    No experience with either of those exact bullets. But, I've killed deer sized game with the 85gr Sierra BTHP-Game King, the 105gr Hornady A-Max and witnessed a deer killed with a 100gr Hornady Inter-Lok.

They all died quickly.

The 85gr BTHP-GK has been quite impressive. As has the A-Max.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,688 Senior Member
    I have a 6mm Rem which is a .243 Win on mild steroids.

I can tell you with wholehearted conviction that a 95 Nosler Ballistic Tip over H4350 is a death ray on antelope (even at a quarter mile), and should do just as well on whitetail.

I've also seen some pretty banged up deer shot with a .243 Win loaded with Winchester 100 grain Power Points.

Hogs.....can't tell you, I've never shot one with the 6mm, but I'd likely load up some 100 grain Partitions for them critters.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    The 85gr Sierra BTHP-Game King out of my 6x45 AR seems to thrash hogs big and small pretty well. For what it's worth.

That's with a muzzle velocity of 2,820 fps.
    Horse doctored, sneakers on MC

34 gr imr4064. Didnt write the fps on this box but I am pretty sure it was right close to 3800
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,722 Senior Member
    I guess I'll see which shoots the best through an 18-3/4" barrel, and not worry about it. All the Varget loads I've found are around 3000 fps, so the 85 gr. bullets should be OK, too. I bought them when bullets were scarce, a while back, and there were no 100 gr. available.
    shush wrote: »
    I do not believe you have such rifle, no photo.

It is a visual medium. :wink:

Please. :drool:

We have already been through this once: http://forums.gunsandammo.com/showthread.php?15124-Not-excellent-condition-but-not-bad&highlight=model+mohawk

No sweat, though. I forgot, also. My defense is that my SIL borrowed it for my grandson to use, and kept it for a year and a half, so I didn't get a chance to 'bond' with it, or work up a hand load.
    cpj wrote: »
    3800?

2800, sorry. I was getting a little punchy. Its been a long week.
    This is what the wife has been taking decent sized whitetails since I built her the 243.

After I get done repairing horse and motorcycle I will see if I am alive enough to get the load out of the mancave.

If your load is using Varget, please post it. I've got about 15 pounds of it, and I'm determined to use as much of it as I can.
    If your load is using Varget, please post it. I've got about 15 pounds of it, and I'm determined to use as much of it as I can.

I know it probably doesn't mean much being two slightly different Cartridges, but they must be pretty close because in all my manuals both the .243 AND the 6mm do best overall with either Hodgdon or IMR 4350. If and When you ever deplete your supply of Varget you might give one of those a try. Then there's RL-17.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    I started loading for it before I got into Varget. However, I do want to try it in the 243 and it is getting into hunting reloading season. If you can find a Varget load that runs around 2800 fps with the GK's the terminal performance will be there. I think it will work pretty well because it seems to work across a large range of cartridges.

Hodgdon site.

Case: Winchester
    Twist: 1:10"
    Primer: Winchester LR, Large Rifle
    Barrel Length: 24"
    Trim Length: 2.035"
    Bullet Weight100 GR. SPR BTSP
    Starting Loads
    Maximum Loads
    Manufacturer
    Powder
    Bullet Diam.
    C.O.L.
    Grs.
    Vel. (ft/s)
    Pressure
    Grs.
    Vel. (ft/s)
    Pressure
    Hodgdon
    Varget

.243"
    2.650"

31.0 gr
    2,674 fps
    42,700 CUP

33.7gr
    2,838fps
    50,400 CUP

If you are in a hurry, I would toss some together with 33gr and fling them downrange just to see what happens.
    I don't use a chrony, but the stated velocity in the load data varies from 2997 to 3121 on the 85 grain, with a 24" barrel, so it should still be OK from a 18", I think.
    I don't use a chrony, but the stated velocity in the load data varies from 2997 to 3121 on the 85 grain, with a 24" barrel, so it should still be OK from a 18", I think.

Those velocities look to be a little on the anemic side. My Hornady manual list an 87 grain Spire point flat base bullet at 3200 FPS or around that for several powders, however, no Varget, the book's too old.

Edited to Add: So this 2997-3121 FPS is through a 24 inch barrel. It"s my belief that the more overbore a case, the more barrel length effects velocity and a 243 is pretty much on the over bore side. So with an 18 inchish barrel you probably will end up with around 2700-2900 FPS, which is still plenty to kill a deer with at reasonable hunting ranges.

So loadeth and go forth, Varget is your star to follow.......:jester:
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,408 Senior Member
    I'm a fan of the 100 gr Sierra Pro-Hunter for general big game duty. Honestly, it just shoots great out of my rifle but, then again, so have the GameKing bullets out of every gun/chambering I've used them in. Also, a softpoint in 85 gr. that shoots well from your gun should do just as well in most applications.

It may seem like woodland heresy, but I've never shot a thing with the CoreLokt bullet in any chambering. there's no particular reason for that, I just have never tried it.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    We have already been through this once.....

I know and I did remembered it, I was just pulling your plonker. :tooth:

Thank you and it is still Bootiful. :up:

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,627 Senior Member
    For whitetails/Feral hogs? I have never shot a deer with a .243, but my SIL shot a hog with my rifle with 100 grain Core-Lokt factory loads and said the wound was impressive. I have both (85 and 100) in Sierra Game Kings that I'm gonna load over Varget. I'm leaning toward 100 grain because the rifle is sighted for them and I have no testimony from hunters on 85 grain. This will be fired from a carbine, a Remngton Model 600 Mohawk with a medium contour barrel, if that matters.

Logically, I'm thinking both would be fine, in the 50-200 yard range, but it would be nice for somebody to pipe in with their own experience.

I load 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips in my .243, but would probably switch to a heaver, better constructed bullet if hogs were on the menu. I'd go with 100 grainers.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,810 Senior Member
    Taken with a 100 gr Speer SPBT model 1220 from my .243

C52392DA-D731-4BE0-BE54-A4EBF8D58AA7_zpspjfry8sb.jpg

Hit him about mid body. I was shooting from a swamp buggy that was parked but idling and shaking and pulled the shot. I initially thought I has missed.

Honestly not sure which was entry which was exit....

E8476259-A6E5-4DAC-AEBE-9E113A66BF19_zpst89aomv7.jpg

93D2B41F-BF07-49BD-98EB-ACC2BE7E932E_zpsl6icbai1.jpg

Didn't run, just stood there for a moment, and then fell over dead. About 150 lbs.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,688 Senior Member

OK.....be pigheaded.......

In any 6mm chambering, H4350 works much mo' better.

When I had 12 lbs of Varget and only 1 lb of H4350, I sold my Varget at a large loss.

So I could buy more H4350. for my 6mm/.243 thingaagig.

Trust me one this one. I'm not the only one that's been stuck with several pounds of something that was great all-around, but not exactly perfect for anything.

6mm stuff and H4350 is the nectar of the gods.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    Varget SUCKS............in my book.

At least........in everything I've tried it in.

It just doesn't like me.
    Linefinder wrote: »
    OK.....be pigheaded.......

In any 6mm chambering, H4350 works much mo' better.

When I had 12 lbs of Varget and only 1 lb of H4350, I sold my Varget at a large loss.

So I could buy more H4350. for my 6mm/.243 thingaagig.

Trust me one this one. I'm not the only one that's been stuck with several pounds of something that was great all-around, but not exactly perfect for anything.

6mm stuff and H4350 is the nectar of the gods.

Mike

Because?

All I want to do is send a 85 or 100 grain bullet at ~3000 fps. The H4350 does not appear to give higher velocities in the recipes I looked at, so what other factors are involved?

PS: I do trust your experience and judgment - I just wonder if your judgment on this subject might specifically apply to the type of use you had for them, and would not matter so much for my own use. This is basically a secondary rifle for limited use at distances under 200 yards.
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    It may seem like woodland heresy, but I've never shot a thing with the CoreLokt bullet in any chambering. there's no particular reason for that, I just have never tried it.

I probably haven't either, but they are the cheapest factory loads, so I have bought them when I was anxious to shoot and didn't have dies or a load yet for a new gun. Also, people have given me some, so I always seem to have some around.
    Zee wrote: »
    Varget SUCKS............in my book.

At least........in everything I've tried it in.

It just doesn't like me.

It seems it likes bigger case capacity cartridges. My 06's like it, it is a favorite in the Garand matches. I tossed some 22-250 together with it and launched a few at 200 that grouped under 1.5 in but I havent played with it much. A friend of mine cant get it to work in 7mm Mauser at all and his 65.x55 doesnt like it either.
    My .223 and 7mm-08 both have sub-MOA groups with it, so I figure the .243 will, too, since it already does it with factory loads. Sub-MOA is about as far as I have any reason to go, so I figure the powder wouldn't matter that much as long as it reaches velocity in the neighborhood of 3000 fps.
    I probably haven't either, but they are the cheapest factory loads, so I have bought them when I was anxious to shoot and didn't have dies or a load yet for a new gun. Also, people have given me some, so I always seem to have some around.

In my honest opinion, Factory loaded Remington Ammo with Core Lokt bullet is as good as you can get without reloading. And Core Lokt bullets just work very nicely. Some here even buy the bare bullets and reload em. I did that a couple of times for my .308 back in the day and killed a few deer with it. Never had one fail that I can remember. They always brought home the bacon, er Venison...:tooth: