Maskirovka

Dr. dbDr. db Senior MemberPosts: 1,541 Senior Member
Maskirovka means military deception. The concept began with camouflage and was extended to all levels.
I was reading a thread that had to do with people who know you carry concealed. It seems to me that the idea of Maskirovka has some value. Now some of you are loud and proud carriers but some of us prefer to retain the element of surprise and the old saying is that two people can keep a secret as long as one of them is dead. Should concealed carriers go beyond mere concealment and wondering what shirt prints to practice active deception on all levels?

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,258 Senior Member
    Since Tennessee doesn't discriminate between concealed and open carry, I'm not terribly concerned with printing or accidentally exposing my carry piece, but I do make an effort to keep it well-concealed whenever possible. Going really "deep cover" with a SD weapon just might mean it's not readily accessible when it's needed. There has to be somewhat of a compromise between concealment and the ability to get into action effectively. A long-tailed untucked shirt is my preferred method of concealing an IWB holster.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    Thanks Teach. It probably does depend on your sphere of association, location, and acquaintance. Some of us live were gun grabbers are growing and some don't. I'm thinking about the levels beyond camouflage or carrying concealed. Perhaps actively or passively lying, if asked, about any guns you have, if you carry, anything that would mislead or misdirect others from the fact that you own guns. Of course it's too late for us unless one of us is moving to a new location. On one hand it might let the gun grabbers win by driving us underground and they are never confronted by a normal person who happens to own a gun. On the other hand the surprise in a situation would be more complete.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    It has been my long experience that most people, unless you open carry, will not know you are carrying, discounting crimes against unarmed people, I believe that short of an assassination, it won't make a bit of difference if you CCW in deep concealment or not, except as Teach / Jerry pointed out, you may not be able to access your sidearm efficiently getting you killed.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,489 Senior Member
    My preferred method of carry is OWB and a shirt long enough to completely cover it, I don't think anyone has noticed other than an occasional LEO, and I don't know for sure as I've never been stopped.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    I thought military deception was dezinformatya? I need to brush up on my Cold War Russky...
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,258 Senior Member
    Dr. db wrote: »
    Perhaps actively or passively lying, if asked, about any guns you have

My usual response to such questions is about 5 minutes' worth of extemporaneous lecture on the virtues of minding one's own business. If possible, it will include thinly-veiled references to the questioner's sexual orientation and ancestry. "Unwashed fellator with Oedipal tendencies and canine lineage" is one of my favorites! Most people lack the vocabulary to translate that one!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,551 Senior Member
    When I started carrying, unfortunately, someone told somebody else, at my workplace, until I noticed that everyone there was trying to 'make' me, as soon as I walked in the door every day. It really annoyed me, because I didn't intend for anyone to know, and everybody knew. At that time, I was the only person I knew of who did carry. It took about a year of blowing off any conversation that came up about concealed carry, for folks to decide that I had stopped carrying, because it was just too uncomfortable. During that time, I tried every possible concealment method, bought subcompacts, and a drawerful of holsters, but never stopped carrying. I didn't actually lie about it, but would say stuff like, "I have one in the truck," or "it's too heavy," or any other misdirection I could think of, without flat-out lying.

I guess it varies, with different folks and situations, but my SD strategy depends on anybody who would attack me not knowing that I am armed, or even that I would be ballsy enough to fight back. I don't act like a victim, but if ever accosted by a bad guy, I will play the part he expects, until my opportunity arrives.

Nowadays, my wife doesn't even know when I'm carrying, most of the time, and that's the way I like it.
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    I like this Mr. bisley.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,762 Senior Member
    Regarding camouflage of carrying, I have a friend that has it down pretty well. I live out in the country so seeing fellers wearing overalls is as common as cow flop. A friend of mine had his wife install a couple of heavy duty snaps about belly button level and in line with the suspender clips on his overalls. He made a heavy leather 'bar' to go across those snaps with snaps to mate with the ones on the overalls. A holster goes on the leather 'bar'. Unless you know he carries, you'd never guess that he is carrying. He carries a Ruger SP 101 stainless revolver in the holster.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,897 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    I thought military deception was dezinformatya? I need to brush up on my Cold War Russky...
    Not just the cold war, but, military deception in general.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,897 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    My usual response to such questions is about 5 minutes' worth of extemporaneous lecture on the virtues of minding one's own business. If possible, it will include thinly-veiled references to the questioner's sexual orientation and ancestry. "Unwashed fellator with Oedipal tendencies and canine lineage" is one of my favorites! Most people lack the vocabulary to translate that one!
    Jerry
    Just say your carrying a medical device
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    tennmike wrote: »
    Regarding camouflage of carrying, I have a friend that has it down pretty well. I live out in the country so seeing fellers wearing overalls is as common as cow flop. A friend of mine had his wife install a couple of heavy duty snaps about belly button level and in line with the suspender clips on his overalls. He made a heavy leather 'bar' to go across those snaps with snaps to mate with the ones on the overalls. A holster goes on the leather 'bar'. Unless you know he carries, you'd never guess that he is carrying. He carries a Ruger SP 101 stainless revolver in the holster.

I wear overalls occasionally. I just wear a belted holster underneath, as if I had pants on, and shift it around to about 2 o'clock.
    No offence intended to anyone, however, Colonel Cooper talked about preoccupation with inconsequential increments, I just call it hypothetical horse poop, make something simple so incongruous and riddled with ancient rituals and incantations and other nonsense, until it becomes impossible.

Nobodies really looking, just carry discretely.....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    I agree, if you are talking about strangers or casual acquaintances. But family and friends, or co-workers, can be very annoying, because it seems to be all they think about whenever they see you, and they bring up the subject regardless of who else is within hearing distance. You really don't want to go through the whole discussion about it, every time you see someone, especially when they do it in front of people you don't know.
    I agree, that could be vexing, and even cause potential problems if there is a LEO present that does not know you are authorized to carry.
    Could even suppose you are a wise guy and start problems.