Home Main Category Clubhouse

New (to me) Truck

JayJay Senior MemberPosts: 3,862 Senior Member
I really wasn't planning on buying a truck today. But it ended up that way.

The truck I just traded in, a 2009 Chevy 1500 Z71, was starting to show it's age and was worrying me a bit. It just passed 105,000 miles and I was starting to get some messages on the dash pretty frequently. "Stabilitrac off," "Service Traction Control" and an occasional check engine light. I'm pretty sure I know what the check engine light was, as I was able to get it to go out by unplugging the MAF sensor for a few seconds. But it would come on again at some point. The traction control stuff, I have no idea. So, I was starting to get concerned that this truck was gonna die on me. And I'm making regular 700 mile round trips right now.

So, I saw a truck on line that caught my eye. Went in this morning to take a look at it, and ended up leaving my Chevy there and drove off in a Dodge.

The new (used) truck is a 2012 Ram 1500 crew cab, 4x4 with the 5.7 Hemi and 6 speed auto. It has brand new Goodyear Wrangler all terrain tires and it's a very clean looking truck. It has one battle scar, a bit of a scratch on the drivers side front bumber. No dent, just a little mark on the paint. Other than that, I haven't seen any dents or major scratches on it. It's the first vehicle I've ever owned that wasn't a GMC or Chevy. So far, I'm liking it.

So, I know it's a little late now since I already did the deal, but if any of yall that have experience with this kind of truck, I'd like to know you're thoughts. Previous problems, like, dislike, anything I should look out for?

Replies

• Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    Dad always like a Dodge
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,960 Senior Member
    I'm a Mopar guy IMO I've had less trouble with my Dodge trucks than my friends have with there Ford's and Chevy's, Maybe I just take better care then they do, My present 98 (360cu.in. AT) has 194,000 uses 1/2 qt. oil per 5000mi. The only thing I can tell you is never tow more than 2500lbs. in Overdrive , check your owners manual. I think you made a good choice, and might just become a Dodge person.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,462 Senior Member
    I have a dodge Dakota with 246000 miles on it now after the drive from Colorado to Ohio. Do your maintenance and it will reward you!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,398 Senior Member
    Jay wrote: »
    occasional check engine light.

Thats how you know a Chebby is running
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,862 Senior Member
    Thanks for the comments so far, guys. Some reassurance... :p

What kinda helped in the deal was, they gave me $15,500 for my Chevy. Considering the issues I was having with it, I figured it might be wise to take it and run.....

I haven't really had any time to play with it. Gave it a good looking over and test drove it, of course. But haven't had the time to really dig into it and figure everything out. As soon as I got everything done and took off, it was time to get ready for work....
    jaywapti wrote: »
    The only thing I can tell you is never tow more than 2500lbs. in Overdrive , check your owners manual.

Many thanks for that info. Especially helpful since I have not found a manual in the truck so far. Gonna try to find one.

Why would anyone get rid of the ownders manual from a vehicle. I always thought they just stayed in the glove box forever...:tooth:
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Bought a Dodge 2500 Cummins diesel new and put 377,000 miles on it. Sold it only to satisfy my family who insisted the diesel engine was further ruining my hearing. Never any trouble, loved that truck, want it back :tissue:!
    Bought a Dodge 2500 Cummins diesel new and put 377,000 miles on it. Sold it only to satisfy my family who insisted the diesel engine was further ruining my hearing. Never any trouble, loved that truck, want it back :tissue:!

My dad has a 2002 Cummins 2500. He loves it. Said when he bought it it would be his last truck. Looking like that will be the case. We had one issue with it a few years ago. The lift pump in the tank went out, which dropped fuel pressure to the VP44 pump and killed it. We got a aftermarket fuel system for it, I think it's a FASS system. Replaced the VP44 and put the new pump/water separator/canister filter setup on the outside of the frame rail near the filler neck. Ran all new fuel lines, bypassed the factory fuel filter and installed a fuel pressure gague in the dash. No more problems.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,167 Senior Member
    Elk creek wrote: »
    I have a dodge Dakota with 246000 miles on it now after the drive from Colorado to Ohio. Do your maintenance and it will reward you!

FInd a gas station that will give $.10 off a gallon with a purchase of a car wash (make sure car wash has an underbody spray). Once the snow starts, get a wash with every fill-up...

Ohio road salt will eat a Dakota for dinner......
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    I really wasn't planning on buying a truck today. But it ended up that way.

The truck I just traded in, a 2009 Chevy 1500 Z71, was starting to show it's age and was worrying me a bit. It just passed 105,000 miles and I was starting to get some messages on the dash pretty frequently. "Stabilitrac off," "Service Traction Control" and an occasional check engine light. I'm pretty sure I know what the check engine light was, as I was able to get it to go out by unplugging the MAF sensor for a few seconds. But it would come on again at some point. The traction control stuff, I have no idea. So, I was starting to get concerned that this truck was gonna die on me. And I'm making regular 700 mile round trips right now.

So, I saw a truck on line that caught my eye. Went in this morning to take a look at it, and ended up leaving my Chevy there and drove off in a Dodge.

The new (used) truck is a 2012 Ram 1500 crew cab, 4x4 with the 5.7 Hemi and 6 speed auto. It has brand new Goodyear Wrangler all terrain tires and it's a very clean looking truck. It has one battle scar, a bit of a scratch on the drivers side front bumber. No dent, just a little mark on the paint. Other than that, I haven't seen any dents or major scratches on it. It's the first vehicle I've ever owned that wasn't a GMC or Chevy. So far, I'm liking it.

So, I know it's a little late now since I already did the deal, but if any of yall that have experience with this kind of truck, I'd like to know you're thoughts. Previous problems, like, dislike, anything I should look out for?

Do you have pictures? Remember it doesn't exist without pictures! That goes for automobiles too. Seriously, what color is it? Don't tell me it's Red!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Dang sure not red. I personally don't care for red trucks. Every truck I've owned has been white. This one is no exception. Something about blazin summer sun out here that makes white appeal to me.

I'll try to get a pic or two up. Only took a couple of quick shots of it.
    83E6A303-B3A4-41CB-8B3F-B0F1A66B0CC8_zpseqjeppzz.jpg
    They put the steering wheel on upside down....
    EFEE3E4D-4348-4384-AA10-6E6A396634B3_zpsdqhl9rdo.jpg

8E6C3611-726A-4A0E-A7D9-AC3E1CF4D699_zpstvj7mvm1.jpg
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    ... They put the steering wheel on upside down....

And on the wrong side. :p

Nice, looks a clean buy. :up:
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Dang sure not red. I personally don't care for red trucks. Every truck I've owned has been white. This one is no exception. Something about blazin summer sun out here that makes white appeal to me.

I'll try to get a pic or two up. Only took a couple of quick shots of it.

Yep, white's definitely the way to go out in that part of the world. I just bought a used Volkswagen Jetta that's white. But I had a 92 Dakota I bought new that was red. It was hotter n blue blazes too, and I don't mean fast hot, I mean sweltering hot.

I always wanted a Hemi. Something about it. Let me know how the mileage is with it. That's a cool looking truck.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    Niiiiiice truck! Congrats.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    They do build a good looking pickup.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    A friend of mine has a '12 Dodge Ram with the Hemi/6spd.auto. We towed our camping trailer with it last year for elk hunting.
    It got around 8-10 mpg pulling the trailer, and we noticed it didn't do a whole lot better without the trailer. It gets about 12 mpg empty. It seems to have more torque than my '07 Tundra but not the gas mileage. That is a sharp looking truck you bought. I like white trucks as well.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,096 Senior Member
    Congrats on the new ride :up:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,922 Senior Member
    Good Looking truck. All I know is my buddy has the same truck as you purchased and he gets better gas mileage that my V6 Vortex Silverado does.
    Hope it gives you many maintenance free miles
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Thanks guys.

Mileage is so dependent on driving styles and conditions, it's hard to tell. Most of my driving is freeway miles and not much stop and go. I've only put about 100 miles in it so far, so it's too early to tell. But so far, the economy gauge is reading around 18mpg. I'll get a better idea after a few tanks full and actually doing the math. My 5.3 Chevy was getting around 16. Seems like this truck will be pretty close to that, if not maybe a bit better. Will really find out in a couple of weeks when I take it to Odessa.

It has quite a bit more power than the 5.3 did.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,743 Senior Member
    I bought a 05 Dodge 1500 with 135K on it. I don't travel much, it's all town driving and I may get 8mpg. More on the road.

I think it's a good truck...so far. Got the 5.7 Hemi and every accessory you could get on a 2005 Dodge. Smells vaguely like a dog on the inside, which offends my nose, but I can live with it.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,671 Senior Member
    Nice! Mine's a 2013 and I'm very happy with it.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,393 Senior Member
    whenever you get error codes you may want to think about taking it into a shop (a good one) and have the give it a once over. However, if all you really wanted was a new toy, then you got one.

i had some of the similar error codes on my 02 imp and all it was was a bad connector on the front bearing hub. the whole hub is one unit so it cost more to replace than if it was an older vehicle. but in the end it was a 200 buck job and the codes went away.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,462 Senior Member
    Sweet truck, you're gonna love it!
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    FInd a gas station that will give $.10 off a gallon with a purchase of a car wash (make sure car wash has an underbody spray). Once the snow starts, get a wash with every fill-up...

Ohio road salt will eat a Dakota for dinner......
    Thats what I hear thanks for the heads up!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    ilove22s wrote: »
    whenever you get error codes you may want to think about taking it into a shop (a good one) and have the give it a once over. However, if all you really wanted was a new toy, then you got one.

i had some of the similar error codes on my 02 imp and all it was was a bad connector on the front bearing hub. the whole hub is one unit so it cost more to replace than if it was an older vehicle. but in the end it was a 200 buck job and the codes went away.

That is good advice. Thanks.

I used a code scanner and got a trouble code on it that led me to the MAF sensor on that, but that's the only code it gave. I did some reading on the traction control issues on those trucks and it seems that can come from a number of places. Over the time I had that truck, I had one hub replaced before the warranty ran out, had one CV boot replaced, personally replaced both lower ball joints and upper control arms, new front struts and rear shocks and had it aligned. Ran fine for a while, then started acting up on me again. I wasn't really seriously planning on trading it in, but it worked out that way and I'm happy about it. I think that Chevy was going to be more of a problem than I cared to deal with.
  • softwarejanitorsoftwarejanitor Member Posts: 241 Member
    That is good advice. Thanks.

I used a code scanner and got a trouble code on it that led me to the MAF sensor on that, but that's the only code it gave. I did some reading on the traction control issues on those trucks and it seems that can come from a number of places. Over the time I had that truck, I had one hub replaced before the warranty ran out, had one CV boot replaced, personally replaced both lower ball joints and upper control arms, new front struts and rear shocks and had it aligned. Ran fine for a while, then started acting up on me again. I wasn't really seriously planning on trading it in, but it worked out that way and I'm happy about it. I think that Chevy was going to be more of a problem than I cared to deal with.

The errors you were getting (MAF and Stabilitrac) are solved most of the time with just a little cleaning of the sensors (or sometimes replacing), so the dealer will make out like a bandit on your trade-in. They'll buff it up shiny and mark it up to about $20-22k and someone who can't get a loan on a new truck will buy it and pay some loan shark interest rate on it (where they'll REALLY make their money).

Used trucks sell for way too much here in Texas.
    The errors you were getting (MAF and Stabilitrac) are solved most of the time with just a little cleaning of the sensors (or sometimes replacing), so the dealer will make out like a bandit on your trade-in. They'll buff it up shiny and mark it up to about $20-22k and someone who can't get a loan on a new truck will buy it and pay some loan shark interest rate on it (where they'll REALLY make their money).

Used trucks sell for way too much here in Texas.

I'm sure youre absolutley right on the cause of the problems. I'd had the traction control issue before and was able to get it to quit by simply unplugging the ABS sensors and plugging them back in. This time, not so much. I'll let them handle it and do thier thing on it.

The MAF I'm fairly sure was due to loose screws holding the sensor in. It stayed in, but the rubber o-ring didn't seal solid. I had installed an aftermarket cold air intake on it and the screws that hold that sensor on stripped out in the aluminum long before I was even able to get them snug. If I had not traded it in, I was going to try drilling the holes out and installing heli coils and steel machine screws to hold it in and see if that helped. I took the factory MAF sensor from the factory intake, cleaned it with electric parts cleaner and installed it in the new aftermarket intake. Seems like that trouble code started shortly after that, so it wasn't too hard to narrow it down with the P0106 code pointing in that general direction.

ETA - Heck, by the time it was said and done, I only paid a little over $20k for the Dodge. If they can sell the Chevy for that, they made some money and I'm satisfied. Like you said, the person buying that used Chevy will likely be the one getting tagged.
  • prozium451prozium451 Member Posts: 130 Member
    All of your problems may have been related to an engine sensor issue. Your traction control limits torque and engine rpm to help gain traction as well as pulsating the brakes on the wheels that slip. I have seen anything from MAF sensors to a dirty air cleaner all the way up to major engine mechanical issues cause those lights.

Personally I would have paid for the repair instead of taking on another payment. I am, however, a cheap ass. :D
    cpj wrote: »
    Besides when she starts complaining, you just tell her to shut up and bake you a pie! Thats what I do.
    I have read that the issues could come from any number of places. Didn't know the MAF sensor could cause it. Interesting.

Heck, I hope they get it fixed up nice and make some money on it. I paid $20k for it 4 years ago and got $15.5 for it. Could have been worse, I guess.

I bought the Chevy used and was still making payments on it anyway. My monthly payment went up $12/month. Of course, I added 4 more years of payments too. But I did get a better interest rate at 3.25%.

Honestly, I shouldn't have bought that Chevy to begin with. It had issues, although I was ignorant and didn't realize the extent of it until after I bought it. After finding out some info on it, it seems the truck probably came out of the oil fields in the Big Springs Tx area. The truck was used hard, by the way it appeared. Everything under the truck and every nook and cranny was packed with dried mud. I spent a lot of time getting all that mud out of as much of it as I could. I also saw that the front drive axle was leaking where it went into the transfer case. Fixed by the dealership under warranty. Then a front hub went out. Again, warranty. Then an engine mount and a split CV joint boot. Warranty. Then one lower ball joint and two upper control arm bushings went bad and the front right strut was blown out, leaked all the oil out and squeaked every time I hit a bump. The warranty had expired by then, so I replaced both upper control arms and all bushings and both lower ball joints and the shocks and struts and had it aligned. Teach rode in "Squeaky" once when he came in town right before I fixed all that.:p

That Chevy also came with a spray in bed liner and plastic bed rail caps. I went to remove the bed rail caps when I put the tool box on, and found that both bed rails were cracked from the inside of the bed going over the top and that's what was being covered up by the caps. So I left them on. There were 4 large holes drilled in the center of the bed, probably for a welder or some other kind of equipment. The step bar on the driver's side was bent backward about 2", so I removed them. I didn't like them anyway. But it was obvious that the truck had hit something on that side.

Heck, maybe I'm trying to justify to myself why I took on an extra 4 years of payments. But one thing is for sure, I did a horrible job inspecting the Chevy before I bought it and didn't pay enough attention to the warning signs that I did see before I bought it. Live and learn, I guess. So far, I'm loving the Dodge and don't miss that Chevy one bit. Hopefully it'll get cleaned up and make somebody a good work truck or something. I'm just glad to be rid of it and not have to worry about it any more. Just hoping I did a better job on this Dodge...:tooth:
  • prozium451prozium451 Member Posts: 130 Member
    Any malfunction that affects the engine management system will turn the traction control system off, likewise there are traction codes that turn on the check engine light
    cpj wrote: »
    Besides when she starts complaining, you just tell her to shut up and bake you a pie! Thats what I do.