Home Main Category Clubhouse

I am going to Toot my Horn today......

twatwa Senior MemberPosts: 2,238 Senior Member
My fishing partner and I have fished a Thursday night series bass tournament every year at Smithville Lake in MO for the past 20 years. (Burtons Bait and Tackle) The tournament consists of 20 tourneys a year from April through the end of August ever year and averages between 35 to 50 teams per Thursday. (we call it our Thurs night bowling league) Last night we accomplished something no-one has ever done in the 25 years the tournament circuit has been run. We had the "perfect season" so to speak, we weighed in fish at every tournament this year which is quite a feat on this tough lake.....the pressure was on us the past few weeks but we came through like a shiny penny. There has been a lot of good teams come and go the past 25 years, so I am feeling pretty honored to have accomplished this goal that every team tries to attain the beginning of each season. The only thing we got was a pat on the back, a few hand shakes and some applause, (we did take 3rd last night, so we got some decent cash) but I am feeling pretty darn good today. :tooth:
«1

Replies

  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,086 Senior Member
    Congrats :worthy:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.


  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,916 Senior Member
    Congratulations....nicely done!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    Way to go, Congratulations

    JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,622 Senior Member
    Hey, your a scratch fisherman, nicely done.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    twa wrote: »
    My fishing partner and I have fished a Thursday night series bass tournament every year at Smithville Lake in MO for the past 20 years. (Burtons Bait and Tackle) The tournament consists of 20 tourneys a year from April through the end of August ever year and averages between 35 to 50 teams per Thursday. (we call it our Thurs night bowling league) Last night we accomplished something no-one has ever done in the 25 years the tournament circuit has been run. We had the "perfect season" so to speak, we weighed in fish at every tournament this year which is quite a feat on this tough lake.....the pressure was on us the past few weeks but we came through like a shiny penny. There has been a lot of good teams come and go the past 25 years, so I am feeling pretty honored to have accomplished this goal that everyone has set out do for a very long time. The only thing we got was a pat on the back, a few hand shakes and some applause, (we did take 3rd last night, so we got some decent cash) but I am feeling pretty darn good today. :tooth:

    Where is this lake? I have fished Lake of the Ozarks, some lake south of Boonville about 50 miles, and a lake up north east of Columbia about two hours. I can't remember the names of those lakes now.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,711 Senior Member
    Really cool.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,238 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Where is this lake? I have fished Lake of the Ozarks, some lake south of Boonville about 50 miles, and a lake up north east of Columbia about two hours. I can't remember the names of those lakes now.

    This lake is about 20 miles north of downtown Kansas City. The lake you fished NE of Columbia was most likely Mark Twain and the lake south of Booneville would probably have been Pomme De Terre if it wasn't Lake of the Ozarks.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,238 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Hey, your a scratch fisherman, nicely done.

    Ha = I am a terrible bowler though. :troll:
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,238 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Congrats :worthy:

    Thank you Sir!
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,238 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Fishing is not for the faint of heart or the short of patience. Congrats!

    It has been too damn stressful the past few weeks, actually glad its over for a while......
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,238 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Congratulations....nicely done!

    Much appreciated Jayhawker!!
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,238 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »
    Way to go, Congratulations

    JAY

    Thanks Jay - hunker down for the storm brother.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,238 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Really cool.

    Thank you NN
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Hey, Congrats so go outside and toot yer horn some more :driving::driving::driving:

    I gotta a friend in TX who is a fishin fool and goes to tournaments all over TX and sometime farther. He gets real excited and takes pics of all the little fishies he catches and throws back.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,238 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Hey, Congrats so go outside and toot yer horn some more :driving::driving::driving:

    I gotta a friend in TX who is a fishin fool and goes to tournaments all over TX and sometime farther. He gets real excited and takes pics of all the little fishies he catches and throws back.

    It's a tournament catch and release thing with the pics, I am in the same boat....literally......My Mom (86 years old) still gets mad at me for doing all this fishing and never bringing her anything over to eat!~!!
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Fishing is not for the faint of heart or the short of patience. Congrats!

    Now I know why I am a rotten fisherman !

    Giggle..... :jester:
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    twa wrote: »
    It's a tournament catch and release thing with the pics, I am in the same boat....literally......My Mom (86 years old) still gets mad at me for doing all this fishing and never bringing her anything over to eat!~!!

    I agree with Mom !
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    twa wrote: »
    This lake is about 20 miles north of downtown Kansas City. The lake you fished NE of Columbia was most likely Mark Twain and the lake south of Booneville would probably have been Pomme De Terre if it wasn't Lake of the Ozarks.

    Yep, you're right about Mark Twain, I don't know why I couldn't remember that. The one south of Boonville was something else, and I'm not sure exactly how far. We would go down 70 toward KC and take the Sedalia exit and go south. I'd know the name of the lake if I heard it. My FIL was strictly a crappie fisherman at this stage of his life. He had a bass boat but never used it. I'm thinking that lake was down toward the town famous for the Gun Stocks, I'm thinking Faghen or Bishop. I don't think it was as far as Lake of the Ozarks. We'd go down Hiway 5 to lake of the Ozarks. Now that was one beautiful part of Missouri.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,238 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Yep, you're right about Mark Twain, I don't know why I couldn't remember that. The one south of Boonville was something else, and I'm not sure exactly how far. We would go down 70 toward KC and take the Sedalia exit and go south. I'd know the name of the lake if I heard it. My FIL was strictly a crappie fisherman at this stage of his life. He had a bass boat but never used it. I'm thinking that lake was down toward the town famous for the Gun Stocks, I'm thinking Faghen or Bishop. I don't think it was as far as Lake of the Ozarks. We'd go down Hiway 5 to lake of the Ozarks. Now that was one beautiful part of Missouri.

    Truman Reservoir?
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,238 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    I agree with Mom !

    Yep, she just never understands, as the same as most others.....:tooth:
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Yeah, however Mom is always right !!!
    Bring her as much fish as you can !
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Thomas Edison used to go fishin the Caloosahatchee River in Fort Myers where he had a Winter home and lab and not bait his hooks, just to relax and contemplate the meaning of life I reckon.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,930 Senior Member
    Congrats!

    How much dynamite did you use? :tooth:

    Kidding aside, that's certainly a great accomplishment.
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,903 Senior Member
    Congratulations. Job well done.
    I have fished a few tournaments from the back of the boat with my neighbor. Weighing fish each time out is quite the accomplishment.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Fillet and release- - - - -works for me!
    Jerry
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    twa wrote: »
    Truman Reservoir?


    You got it TWA. It's been 18-20 years since we fished those places and I was a little more than a little rusty. Yep it was Truman.

    I loved fishing up there, and there was always some action to be found. My late father in law had a couple of boats, a Bass Boat and a pontoon boat. We used the pontoon boat on Truman and up at Lake Mark Twain. On Truman and Mark Twain we mainly crappy fished. That man loved him some Crappy.

    He was born and raised in a little German settlement south of Boonville just across I-70 called Billingsville.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Thomas Edison used to go fishin the Caloosahatchee River in Fort Myers where he had a Winter home and lab and not bait his hooks, just to relax and contemplate the meaning of life I reckon.

    Was he fishin' with electricity?

    I mean you said he didn't bait his hook.......:tooth:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,238 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    You got it TWA. It's been 18-20 years since we fished those places and I was a little more than a little rusty. Yep it was Truman.

    I loved fishing up there, and there was always some action to be found. My late father in law had a couple of boats, a Bass Boat and a pontoon boat. We used the pontoon boat on Truman and up at Lake Mark Twain. On Truman and Mark Twain we mainly crappy fished. That man loved him some Crappy.

    He was born and raised in a little German settlement south of Boonville just across I-70 called Billingsville.


    What a small world, my Dad grew up in New Franklin which is a little town right across the river from Boonville. Their family had a grocery store in that little town from the early 1900's through the depression. I used to go down to that area quite often years ago. The old grocery store is still standing on the corner of main street. It was a pretty small tight knit area around there, they may haven know each others family. It was the Alsop family grocery store in New Franklin. Talk about some great memories.....
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,238 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Congratulations. Job well done.
    I have fished a few tournaments from the back of the boat with my neighbor. Weighing fish each time out is quite the accomplishment.

    Thank you Diver....fun stuff isn't it?
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,238 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Fillet and release- - - - -works for me!
    Jerry

    Ha, I would be cursed for life if I filleted a bass.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement