Home Main Category General Firearms

Decision made about the Savage 110 .240 Weatherby.

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,563 Senior Member
And that decision is to abandon the .240 Weatherby barrel entirely and get it (eventually) rebarreled for 9.3x62mm. It already has a .30-06 bolt face. McGowen sells pre-fit Savage barrels in both shank sizes available in this caliber in 1:12 twist--faster than the traditional 1:14 twist for the 9.3mm. The barrels can be had in matte blue finish as well.

I'll still have to have iron sights installed, but it can be scoped with a 1-6x optic in the mean time as well. It won't be ready for hunting season this year, though.
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

• shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Did you have a chance to shoot it, to see what it could do?
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,563 Senior Member
    shush wrote: »
    Did you have a chance to shoot it, to see what it could do?

No, and it's actually cost prohibitive to me. Buying brass and dies will be in the $150 range, plus the $10 in powder/primers burned. So $160-ish. Not worth it to me. I have a great .243 and while not in the realm of .240 Weatherby for velocity, it's FAR more practical.

Since I've written off .300WinMag for hunting because I get superb velocity from .30-06 200gr loads, the 9.3mm is a logical next step up for my wants.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I knew you would wise up and see it my way.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    No, and it's actually cost prohibitive to me. Buying brass and dies will be in the $150 range, plus the $10 in powder/primers burned. So $160-ish. Not worth it to me. I have a great .243 and while not in the realm of .240 Weatherby for velocity, it's FAR more practical.

Since I've written off .300WinMag for hunting because I get superb velocity from .30-06 200gr loads, the 9.3mm is a logical next step up for my wants.

To tell you the truth, a good 6mm Remington will do almost what a .240 WBY will. But Probably nothing in your arsenal, unless you have an elephant gun will do what a 9.3x62 will do. There's nothing walking I wouldn't take on with it with proper bullets.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 2,139 Senior Member
    Good decision made! How long and what contour?
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
    snake284 wrote: »
    To tell you the truth, a good 6mm Remington will do almost what a .240 WBY will. But Probably nothing in your arsenal, unless you have an elephant gun will do what a 9.3x62 will do. There's nothing walking I wouldn't take on with it with proper bullets.

Exactly. I have a lot of hunts in want to take in the next 10 years and some include game the 9.3 is well suited for, like moose and bear. Plus, I can load it down a tad to be a stout "358 Winchester" or load some of the heavier 300gr+ bullets for a real thumping if needed. Much versatility.
    Freezer wrote: »
    Good decision made! How long and what contour?

Honestly I don't know yet. I'd like the muzzle to be about .700" wide. I'll have a radial brake installed, so maybe a 23" barrel with a 1" or so long radial brake. I want overall barrel length max 24". I'd go 22" but that would be a 20" or 21" barrel before adding a brake. Much shorter and I'd turn it into basically a .358 Winchetser or the non-magnum variety.

As for the contour....McGowen offers so many I really don't know!
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,983 Senior Member
    Good call....Weatherby has some cool rounds with high velocity....but for all the powder burned and recoil....to me it's not worth it anymore.

JMHO
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    I don't see the need for a .240 Weatherby. The .243 is about 5% less powerful and only if you push max loads. I think you made the right decision.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    Incidentally, McGowen Barrels may not be who I go with as originally opined. I'm browsing for another Savage prefit barrel manufacturer. Here's what I want:

1. A 24" barrel (overall, including brake)
    2. Radial style brake less than 2" long
    3. Matte black finish (probably most expensive)
    4. Iron sights
    5. Traditional safari-ish stock...I like the straight comb design

This isn't going to be an heirloom rifle, but something functional and reliable. As prices above, less stock, McGowen will cost be $504 for the barrel alone. Ouch. And they only thread 5/8-24. That will leave a barrel wall thickness of .130 at the threaded portion. Seems a tad thin?
    Exactly. I have a lot of hunts in want to take in the next 10 years and some include game the 9.3 is well suited for, like moose and bear. Plus, I can load it down a tad to be a stout "358 Winchester" or load some of the heavier 300gr+ bullets for a real thumping if needed. Much versatility.

Honestly I don't know yet. I'd like the muzzle to be about .700" wide. I'll have a radial brake installed, so maybe a 23" barrel with a 1" or so long radial brake. I want overall barrel length max 24". I'd go 22" but that would be a 20" or 21" barrel before adding a brake. Much shorter and I'd turn it into basically a .358 Winchetser or the non-magnum variety.

I want to put a brake on mine. It may not hammer you as bad as a big magnum but it will rock you pretty hard with big bullets, on a bench it stomps me pretty hard, but it kills so good with a Speer Semi spitzer 270 grain bullet.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,514 Senior Member
    While the ballistics of the .240 Wby aren't anything to sneeze at, a 6mm Rem with good handloads comes within a couple hundred fps of it. Don't get me wrong.....200 feeps is 200 feeps, but it'd take a mighty specialized situation to make me go through the hassle and expense of loading for a Weatherby for no more gain than that. And....though I've never owned one, I'd expect the throat life on the .240 Wby probably won't go much over 1K rounds. I like fast 6mms, but this particular one is too much of a good thing, IMO.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Incidentally, McGowen Barrels may not be who I go with as originally opined. I'm browsing for another Savage prefit barrel manufacturer. Here's what I want:

4. Iron sights

This isn't going to be an heirloom rifle, but something functional and reliable. As prices above, less stock, McGowen will cost be $504 for the barrel alone. Ouch. And they only thread 5/8-24. That will leave a barrel wall thickness of .130 at the threaded portion. Seems a tad thin?
    .130 barrel thickness would scare the hell out of me. What's the SAMMI pressure on that round?
    .130 barrel thickness would scare the hell out of me. What's the SAMMI pressure on that round?

Specifically, I'm not sure. I'm sure it's nominal to average .30-06 or .338-06 pressures. Probably between 50k-55k psi.
    cpj wrote: »
    Bought my barrel here.
    Good guy. Knowledgable. Be prepared to talk if you call him.....
    http://northlandshooterssupply.com/match-grade-barrels/criterion-savage-barrels/

Yea I just came across them through a Google search. Their prices certainly are good. I really only need the rifle to shoot field grade. I just need 1 inch groups at 100 yards.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Have you ever considered the .35 whelen? You're only giving up about 150fps to the 9.3 along with a little cool factor but the whelen is no slouch and is still fairly cool along with being much cheaper to shoot.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

I load mine with the same bullets I first tried. Later I'll experiment around, but with the Speer 270 grain Semi Spitzer it is not over kill for deer or hogs and it's plenty big for anything else around the U.S. If I ever went to Africa, I would try some really big bullets in it. But until then it looks like the Speers will take care of all on this side of the pond.

4. Iron sights

Man, check out a Shilen Match barrel. Mine is a 24" and cost about $270. There's no flies on a Shilen match barrel and besides a 9.3x62 isn't going to be a bench gun.

Oh Never mind, by the time you put the sights and brake on it and anodize it black that's a bargain.
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    Have you ever considered the .35 whelen? You're only giving up about 150fps to the 9.3 along with a little cool factor but the whelen is no slouch and is still fairly cool along with being much cheaper to shoot.

Considered it and decided on the 9.3mm. Price-wise considering I reload makes shooting it basically the same cost.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,514 Senior Member
    I'm a .270 Win fan, and haven't needed anything bigger for anything I've ever shot. But, if I ever decided tipping over moose or anchoring an extremely large bull elk standing on the precipice of a 500 foot drop, I'd reach for something a bit bigger. In my mind, that'd be a .338-06 or the AI version.

Out to around 400ish yards, the ballistics, both trajectory wise and terminal performance wise might surprise you.

And.....it ain't a bootch to load for.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 700 Senior Member
    Nothing wrong with the 9.3x 62 just curious why you are dead set on the brake? That caliber is not hard too shoot what total rifle weight are you looking at? Recoil is more of a push than a sharp jab.
    Johnny reb wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with the 9.3x 62 just curious why you are dead set on the brake? That caliber is not hard too shoot what total rifle weight are you looking at? Recoil is more of a push than a sharp jab.

The brake will tame the jab a little and be aesthetically pleasing. 7 to 7.5 pounds.