Home Main Category Clubhouse

More Car Help

BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior MemberPosts: 4,484 Senior Member
My daughters 2008 Saturn View climate control will not change where the air comes out or change the temp. Fan works but when the temp or output selection rheostats are changed, nothing happens. Checked fuses and looked for vacuum leaks, no dice. Even beat on it some. On the back of the engine, there is what seems to be a vacuum control. It ticks like crazy like it can't change. I know it's vacuum and it seems to enter the cab. Any ideas?
"He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician

Replies

• coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,611 Senior Member
    So, the fan blows, but the temp doesn't change and the 'position' (defrost, floor, blend, etc.) setting won't change with the controls?

If the heater box is controlled by vacuum, (it sounds like it might be) it is possible that you have a vacuum leak. check the condition and fit of vacuum lines underhood.

Can you post a pic of the 'vac control'? I'm not sure why it would be ticking...
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    If it's a vacuum problem, it will default to the defrost position. If it's not a vaccum problem then it's a broken blend selector door or actuator.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    So if I disconnect the vacuum, it should change to defrost?
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,611 Senior Member
    Whatever the default position is (usually defrost) then yes. IF what we used to call the blend door is functioning...if not, then that is your problem. Both are likely operated by vacuum, but may require removal of the heater box (or not, all depends) to service. It's also possible the problem is a 'mechanical' one, meaning the actuator still functions, but has become disconnected, or the linkage it hooks to has broken.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • prozium451prozium451 Member Posts: 130 Member
    This is not a vacuum adjusted hvac. The clicking you hear is from one of the actuators. Is this an auto temp system? My initial guess is that the recirculation for l door actuator has failed internally. If this is an auto temp system, duct temp sensors like to peg one way or the other (even when bit in auto mode) not allowing the temp to change. You can replace the actuators, but you will need a factory scan tool to re-home the motors.

Source: I've been a tech at a GM dealer for the last 5 years, specializing in body and electrical.

Note: the 2007 Vue did have vacuum operated hvac, make sure you have the year correct, many changes were made between those two years.
    cpj wrote: »
    Besides when she starts complaining, you just tell her to shut up and bake you a pie! Thats what I do.