Home Main Category Clubhouse

Question for red beeer afficianados

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPosts: 7,927 Senior Member
Do you put plain tomato juice in your beer, or some mixture that contains tomato juice? I knew one guy who liked clamato, and one of my favorite drinks is Mr. and Mrs. T's Original Bloody Mary mix (sans alchohol).

Just wondering.
Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,705 Senior Member
    Tried both----did not care for it

Vodka in the clamato was ok
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    I'm not exactly an aficionado, but when I'm dove hunting out in your old stomping grounds with some very serious beer drinkers, I drink Coors light with plain old Campbell's tomato juice, mainly to be taking the cure along with the poison. I simply keep several six packs of the small tomato juice cans in the ice chest. When everybody starts drinking beer in the morning, right after breakfast, I start out by drinking some beer off the top and then filling it back up with tomato juice. I keep doing this till the tomato juice can is empty, which is about half and half. I do this all morning, before starting to leave off the tomato juice.

Coors Light is a poor drink, but it's never made me drunk, and that is my goal. Any other time, I don't bother with the tomato juice, because I don't drink enough to worry about.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,139 Senior Member
    The only one i would ever say I 'liked' was a bar that mixed in their bloody Mary mix.

But then again, that was in college, and I had pretty awful taste in booze and food back then
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    Never acquired the taste for it. But back in the day, I had a uncle that always kept a package of little 4 oz. cans of mater juice in his truck, along with several of the old disposable salt shakers. He'd open a can of beer, take a couple of swigs, then dump one of the cans of tomato juice into the beer and give it several good shakes of salt.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Oh hell, when I saw this title I thought you were talking about Irish Red Ale. I like Killeans. But I've made red ale and real red ale gets the red color from the Malt. A malter can make the malt to about any shade. It's not really red so much as a brown that takes on red hues of light. It's more of an amber color.
    Barley is malted by soaking the grain in clear clean water until it almost sprouts. This soaking in water causes the grain to germinate, which produces malted grain. The sugars in malt are more fermentable than they are in plain grain, plus this malting changes proteins to carbohydrates and sugars.

After this malting, the malter toasts the malt in the kiln to dry it. This toasting brings out different colors and flavors. And the malter can vary the color of the malt by leaving it in the kiln longer and hotter until it turns darker. Some malt is really dark like chocolate malt, not to be confused with a chocolate malted milk drink. It's called Chocolate malt because of its color. It looks chocolate. There's a lot of different shades of Barley malt all the way from Pale or light malt to chocolate malt. The malt that Irish red Ales is made from is a medium dark brown malt.

One thing to know about malt that is contrary to most people's belief is the darker the malt, the less fermentable it is, because the darker it is the more caramelized the sugars in it are. Caramelized sugars are not fermentable. So the darker the malt, the more carmalized the sugars and the less alcohol it will produce.

Everyone thinks Guiness is high in alcohol. In some places this is true, such as in Malaysia where I worked. Malaysian made Guiness is very high in alcohol at about 8%. Guiness here in the U.S. is only about 5% or about like a regular Budweiser. Yet in Ireland where everybody thinks the leprechauns stay drunk on it because it's so powerful, it is only about 3.8% alcohol. That's it. It is a very low alcohol drink. This is because it is a drink to be enjoyed by the whole family. After Sunday Mass, the family goes to the Pub, which contrary to popular belief is not where a bunch of drunks hang out. Many pubs in Ireland are the family center. They go there and eat, play games, sing and dance to folk songs, and visit. They spend the afternoon there and they all partake of Guiness, it's the national drink.

And even where Guiness is made higher in Alcohol, such as is in Malaysia, it doesn't get its alcohol from dark malt. Guiness is actually made with a very light malt. Then it is steeped in Roasted Barley, which doesn't contribute much to alcohol production. Roasted barley isn't even malted. It's just plain unmalted barley that is roasted dark, almost black, in the kiln. This is what gives Guiness it's rich color, flavor, and its famous head. Some things just aren't what they appear to be.

OK Back on Subject, I think we were talking about something red, was it maters maybe?

:blah:______:blah:______:blah:_____:tooth:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,851 Senior Member
    Tomato juice (Campbell's....its just better) and some olives or pickled green beans!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 765 Senior Member
    Why ruin beer with tomato juice?
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,139 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    If you only have Budweiser or Coors, are you really ruining it?

Right. You are giving fizzy yellow water at least SOME flavor
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,927 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    I'm not exactly an aficionado, but when I'm dove hunting out in your old stomping grounds with some very serious beer drinkers, I drink Coors light with plain old Campbell's tomato juice, mainly to be taking the cure along with the poison. I simply keep several six packs of the small tomato juice cans in the ice chest. When everybody starts drinking beer in the morning, right after breakfast, I start out by drinking some beer off the top and then filling it back up with tomato juice. I keep doing this till the tomato juice can is empty, which is about half and half. I do this all morning, before starting to leave off the tomato juice.

Coors Light is a poor drink, but it's never made me drunk, and that is my goal. Any other time, I don't bother with the tomato juice, because I don't drink enough to worry about.

I hate to derail my own thread, and hate to bust on you, Bisley, even more. But mixing alcohol with gun powder just ain't acceptable in my world, even if it is Colorado Cool Aid.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Not a problem. It's a smart practice.