Home Main Category Clubhouse

Biscuits?

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPosts: 7,934 Senior Member
What's your preference?

Mine is plain old canned, aka whap, biscuits. I like the smaller ones better than the larger ones.

I hope I'm not banned for admitting to this.
Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Replies

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,158 Senior Member
    For breakfast..............

grands-flaky-layers-original.ashx

Mother always made creamed chicken (sometimes squirrel) and put the small buttermilk bisquits on top.................

546110939a66a9ad6b0166fc70c87be0.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    My favorite is the Betty Crocker buttermilk recipe.

For whompom bisquits the plain Ole little ones are my favorite.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,158 Senior Member
    Honorable mention................

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSYZ3LWiwdqA5vbuoLAa16ZzQPlydE655FtHRGpmQq5BL4f7oFM3A
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,711 Senior Member
    Who gets biscuits?
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Grands fer store bought, of course ya gotta spend a little more er.......................Dough fer them! :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Honorable mention................

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSYZ3LWiwdqA5vbuoLAa16ZzQPlydE655FtHRGpmQq5BL4f7oFM3A

You can buy a biscuit mix for those. Just need to buy a couple of bags of different shredded cheeses to make 'em. Right tasty.

I buy the Pillsbury buttermilk biscuits in a bag. They're pretty good. Being single, I don't feel like making a big mess for a half dozen or less biscuits.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    I used to make my own years back, but got out of the habit when my weight went WAY NORTH!!! But one thing, they ain't health food.

If you really want fine home made buttermilk biscuits, whatever recipe you use will have oil or shortening in the recipe. I substitute REAL HOG LARD!!! And you have to be real attentive when you're cutting that lard into that flour, because if you over do it, if you need it too much it makes them tough. Just need them enough to get the lard and flour mixed. Also, pay particular attention to the recipe concerning baking powder, baking soda, and salt. These can make the difference in so so biscuits and fantastic ones. One more thing. I use Calumet Baking Powder and White Wing flour. That's just my own thing there. But it seems to me the best I've made were with these ingredients.

But if I don't feel like jacking with all this, I just get me a can of Grands. I keep them in the refrigerator.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    My wife can make the good old fashioned buttermilk biscuits like Granny used to make, and I love them best. But she won't make them except for company, these days. I have made them myself, but never got very good at it, so I mostly do without.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    What inspired me to learn how to make biscuits was listening to Jerry Clower.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,934 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Grands fer store bought, of course ya gotta spend a little more er.......................Dough fer them! :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Maybe you're the one who should be banned. :tooth:
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Maybe you're the one who should be banned. :tooth:

Just fer you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVeia1LX17w
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,916 Senior Member
    Bisquick....doesn't take much longer than popping open a tube....as long as you don't overwork the dough, they're damn good biscuits...especially with butter and sausage gravy. If I'm in a hurry...Grands are an acceptable substitute....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,088 Senior Member
    I buy a local brand of frozen biscuit dough, or, in a pinch, the Pillsbury frozen.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,731 Senior Member
    Ah, you Philistines. Good biscuits do NOT come out of a can. They're easy enough to make with self-rising flour, Crisco, and buttermilk. The canned biscuits are awful and should be declared illegal or at least declared unpalatable. They don't even taste like real biscuits. I believe they're made with palm oil and other such artificial and unnatural fat.

Do yourselves a favor and make the real thing at least once in your lives. Lard is the very best fat, but Crisco doesn't do a bad job.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,929 Senior Member
    I miss my grandma's homemade biscuits. She was a pro at it. I was to young to even think about recipes when she passed away. I sure wish I has the recipe she used because I have tried and never eat a biscuit as good as hers were.
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    Cream biscuits. Much easier to make than trying to cut butter in.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Flour, lard, and buttermilk! We had a cook at my grandmother's restaurant once who made biscuits with beer- - - -pretty good ones!
    Jerry
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,654 Senior Member
    As my late Pa used to sing of a morning:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    What's your preference?

Biscuits?

012281.jpg?v=5

With chocolate.

011187.jpg?v=5

or plain.

With;

Sausage gravy?

Shrimp scampi to dip?

Creamed chicken (sometimes squirrel)?
    :yikes: :nono:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTiKndeoO0T3ox0XdQv13P7Ls4xOqE32s-Y58Ygvna2v-vgZibmJA

With A Nice Cup Of Tea.
    You guys...with your cookies and tea...:silly:
  • GunnerK19GunnerK19 Senior Member Posts: 1,088 Senior Member
    I like the Grands flaky biscuits. I'm glad they finally got smart and started making smaller cans of 4 or 5 biscuits, it was a waste to have to pop open a can of 8 biscuits for the missus and I only to eat 4 or 5 and have to throw out the rest.
    I'm a Conservative. How conservative? Only Alex P. Keaton has me beat.

Taurus 605 .357, Ruger .45 Vaquero, Colt frontier commemorative .22 SA, Pietta 1860 .44 snubnose
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,147 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    Ah, you Philistines. Good biscuits do NOT come out of a can. They're easy enough to make with self-rising flour, Crisco, and buttermilk. The canned biscuits are awful and should be declared illegal or at least declared unpalatable. They don't even taste like real biscuits. I believe they're made with palm oil and other such artificial and unnatural fat.

Do yourselves a favor and make the real thing at least once in your lives. Lard is the very best fat, but Crisco doesn't do a bad job.

Crisco changed the formulation a few years ago, and it really screwed with the consistency of my MIL's pie crusts and biscuits. But the cheap store brand stuff still works like it used to.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    bisley wrote: »
    You guys...

You guys??

Ok, 'splain me.

When I was a lad it was Duck Apple Night or All Hallows' Eve if you must but what, in all of the rational thinking world, is TRICK OR TREAT about. :tooth:
    That means give me some candy or you will get tricked like yer house egged or TP (toilet paper) your yard............:devil: :devil:
    trick or treat
    noun
    noun: trick or treat; plural noun: trick or treats

a children's custom of calling at houses at Halloween with the threat of pranks if they are not given a small gift (often used as a greeting by children doing this).

verb
    verb: trick or treat; 3rd person present: trick or treats; gerund or present participle: trick or treating; past tense: trick or treated; past participle: trick or treated

take part in the custom of trick or treat.
    "kids are going to go trick-or-treating tomorrow night"
    "Groups of poor people, often children, would go door-to-door during Allhallowtide, collecting soul cakes, in exchange for praying for the dead, especially the souls of the givers' friends and relatives........"

Come a long way, eh?

PS.

From this, Happy Duck Apple Night.

steve-edge-steve-loves-it-apple-bobbing.jpg

Tiny shush, at home.

To this;

CCF09092011_0000.jpg
    cpj wrote: »
    ........Have you ever had duck sausage?

Always with the lewd remarks Moriarty. :roll:
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,654 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    You guys...with your cookies and tea...:silly:

Tea and Crumpets! :jester:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    shush wrote: »

CCF09092011_0000.jpg

No, we weren't that rude. It's usually just something like lighting a sack full of dog crap at their door, and watching them stomp it out...or something equally benign...like maybe a dead rat under the car seat, or blocking up the rear end so the tires barely touch the pavement...good natured stuff.