Home Main Category Clubhouse

Biscuits?

13»

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    While you are down there, put a zip tie on the driveshaft where the tail end whips against the floor boards as it turns. Easy to find, but aggravating as heck to the driver

That was a common occurrence at the nuke plant. We had the 1/2" wide zip ties that were knife resistant. :tooth:

Also, any fresh road kill possum or raccoon was attached to the rear axle of a vehicle with about 10 feet of light rope and the animal hidden out of sight, usually on the differential. First bump and the critter fell off and was dragged behind the vehicle. The driver got some strange looks going down the road.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,650 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    While you are down there, put a zip tie on the driveshaft where the tail end whips against the floor boards as it turns. Easy to find, but aggravating as heck to the driver

Remind me to drive a rental car if I ever make it out to the SE shoot!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    zorba wrote: »
    Remind me to drive a rental car if I ever make it out to the SE shoot!

And then there's the tater or two shoved up the tailpipe. :rotflmao:
    ― Douglas Adams
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,650 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Hmmm... Maybe I'll rent a Priu - naw, I couldn't sink THAT low!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Yeah probably because some libtard said it had too much unsaturated fat. Hog lard's full of that, but guess what? it isn't health food. But it sure makes biscuits good.

I agree, the best biscuits are made with lard, I wish I knew how beer goes it there !
    I just know biscuits made with beer are just the ticket for me !!!!!
    I always liked roast beast with biscuits !
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    I always liked roast beast with biscuits !.................You roast beast?.................What kind of a man are you?:devil:

To the civilised world...................... that is roast beef , Yorkshire pudding and roast potatoes......with gravy. :up:
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    shush wrote: »
    To the civilised world...................... that is roast beef , Yorkshire pudding and roast potatoes......with gravy. :up:

Now I am hungry !

Ps, the true question is: What manner of man eats the roast of the beast and beef of the roast and drinks new wine of the press ?
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    I like Popeye's, and the frozen Pillsbury ones are excellent if you don't have time to make your own with Bisquik.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Never heard of duck apples.
    Have you ever had duck sausage?

How bout some DUCK BUTTER?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    A can of catfood wired between the catalytic converter and the floor panel is interesting, too. :silly:
    And a pint of 30W motor oil squirted into the muffler from the tailpipe can be exciting when the exhaust heats up. Sort of a homemade mosquito fogger.
    And a looooooonnnngggggg time ago I confess to threading strips of leftover bait squid down the fresh air intake of a car belonging to an ossifer I detested. Mayport, FL in 1975, in August. :vomit: It was O.K., though; he deserved it! :roll2:

Aw man! Y'all have some class. Iffin nuthin else get you a couple pounds of heads. Shrimp Heads work great and you haven't wasted any of the GOOD EATING PART! And did I mention they're very aromatic?

:roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2:
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Don't remember a recipe. She would cook bone-in chicken breast for hours in a crock-pot (sometimes a whole chicken if it was on sale), pick out the bones, throw in a bouillon cube (or 2?), and thicken with corn starch. Put in a cake pan and cover with biscuits.

Or you can make it as pot pie by throwing in what ever vegetables you like. Potatoes, corn, peas, and carrots come to mind........

Now JPB, remember you're moving down south now. Southerners, at least the ones I associate with, don't contaminate Chicken pie with Peas and Carrots. They ain't proper veggies, unless they be black eyed or purple hull peas. Other wise that's Yankee food. My grandmother would have you hung, tarred and feathered and run out a town on a rail for that!!! :tooth:
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,730 Senior Member
    Being a fantastic cook, I don't think you can use biscuit makings for a pot pie. Pie dough is only flour, fat, and water. Biscuit dough has rising ingredients. It can work if you like huge crusts, but it's simpler to buy prepared pie crusts.

Thing with any pot pie is if the pie spends enough time in the oven to cook the veggies. Probably won't work with carrots unless you pre cook them partially beforehand.

Biscuit dough is great for biscuits, less great for pies or cobblers. I really wish great biscuits could be obtained in a can or in the frozen food section, but so far, it ain't so. My sister makes them with olive oil and they're great for immediate consumption, but don't travel well.

Bisquick uses palm oil for fat. 'Nuff said.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,930 Senior Member
    I'm quite surprised at how long this topic has gone, and how many responses there have been.

I thought it would be toast by now.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,916 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    I thought it would be toast by now.

anim_nutkick-1.gif
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    I'm the only one that mentioned cat head biscuits. I question the 'Southerness' of the membership! :silly: :silly: :silly: :tooth:
    ― Douglas Adams
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Cathead biscuits are better than the rolled-out kind, for sure! Just pinch off a big chunk, hand-roll it into a ball, and lightly grease the outside. When they come out of the oven about 2 inches tall, slather on the butter and strawberry preserves, or cover 'em with sausage gravy! A thick slice of country ham works, also!
    Jerry
  • dlkdlk Member Posts: 419 Member
  • dlkdlk Member Posts: 419 Member
    I thought it was bananas?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_1OVYsLqMU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HktV2yGtLv8
    STEALTH COMPETENT

I know what I'm doing, it just doesn't look like it.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Cathead biscuits are better than the rolled-out kind, for sure! Just pinch off a big chunk, hand-roll it into a ball, and lightly grease the outside. When they come out of the oven about 2 inches tall, slather on the butter and strawberry preserves, or cover 'em with sausage gravy! A thick slice of country ham works, also!
    Jerry

Regional nomenclature - I'm pretty sure that what you describe as cathead biscuits are what farm folks everywhere used to bake. It was the only kind of biscuits we ever had, till about the sixties, so no adjectives were needed to describe which kind they were. :tooth:
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,730 Senior Member
    They're "choked off" rather than rolled and cut out. They're about the size of a cat's head.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,930 Senior Member
    It's funny how different parts of the country have food dishes that are fairly unique to that part of the country, or at least have fairly unique names. In Colorado, the local delis have a dish known as Frog Eye Salad. I'm pretty sure there aren't any frog eyes in it, as it seems more of an orange jellow and whipped cream combination. Whatever it has in it, it's good.

I even recall seeing something on TV about dishes that were only common to certain parts of the country, and the report specifically mentioned frog eye salad as being a Colorado favorite.

The cat head biscuits sound like what I would call drop biscuits. Just pinch off a piece of biscuit dough and drop it on a baking sheet.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    .......Frog Eye Salad......

Take a large portion home on a Monday, it will see you through the week.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure there aren't any frog eyes in it, as it seems more of an orange jellow and whipped cream combination. Whatever it has in it, it's good.

That sounds like a side dish we eat often. It's a combination of Jell-O, cool whip, cottage cheese, and crushed pineapple.

1 container Cool Whip
    1 container large curd cottage cheese
    1 package orange-flavor Jell-O (regular, not sugar free)
    1 can crushed pineapple, drained well

Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl. Either serve immediately, or refrigerate for several hours to blend the flavors well. There won't be much left over!
    Jerry
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,158 Senior Member
    It's funny how different parts of the country have food dishes that are fairly unique to that part of the country, or at least have fairly unique names. In Colorado, the local delis have a dish known as Frog Eye Salad. I'm pretty sure there aren't any frog eyes in it, as it seems more of an orange jellow and whipped cream combination. Whatever it has in it, it's good.

I even recall seeing something on TV about dishes that were only common to certain parts of the country, and the report specifically mentioned frog eye salad as being a Colorado favorite.

The cat head biscuits sound like what I would call drop biscuits. Just pinch off a piece of biscuit dough and drop it on a baking sheet.

In my neck of Ohio, green peppers are called Mangoes. You made stuffed Mangoes. Not stuffed Peppers.......... No idea why.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,916 Senior Member
    Frog Eye Salad.

The stuff I ate had tapioca in it...hence the "frog eye"
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"