Home Main Category Hunting

School me on supplies for my first all day hunt and camp in the woods alone.

ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 BannedPosts: 2,645 Senior Member
Today started squirrel season and this Saturday I'm planning an all day hunt and then setting up camp and sleeping in the woods. I've picked a spot that I know is teaming with squirrels and I've become quite the hunter on small game. I'm diabetic so I already know what I need to pack for my general care and an emergency situation so I'm going to leave that detail out. My hunting and camping spot is only about a mile and a half from where my car will be and it's in a state park that I favor. I'm planning on bringing my 20 guage, a tent, denatured alcohol for my small but potent camping stove, a small skillet, utensils, lighter, matches, magnesium flint, compact sleeping bag, hatchet and knife to dress out game, and a few wound up coat hangers to aid in making a place for my skillet. First time so please add what I know I'm likely forgetting. Also a phone and compass too btw. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    Food and water. Do not depend on foraging for those, you could be very disappointed. A tarp in case you get rain...
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,398 Senior Member
    map

Leave the hatchet at home. Its weight you dont need.

Painters tarp or thin plastic for under your tent to keep it from getting a puncture. Its called a foot print and should NOT stick out beyond your tent.

Sleeping pad. Even a sub 20.00 from Dicks is better than laying on the ground. Your sleeping bag WILL compress and the ground will act like a heat sink.

Water, 2 liters min for drinking, but remember, 8lb/gal. If there is water available, iodine tabs or a filter unless you KNOW the water is ok. You also need water for cooking.

Knit hat, long john pants and a light fleece pullover. DO NOT sleep in stuff you have been walking around in all day. First its uncomfortable, second you can get chilled. You are better off crawling into the fart sack but nekkid than wearing damp stuff. The hat is great to keep your body temp comfy, even in 50 ish weather.

1C oatmeal, a little cinnamon, a little dry milk, and some raisins or dry fruit makes a good breakfast by adding 2C of boiling water to the bag. and clean up is a matter of resealing the bag. 1C instant rice, nutmeg, cin and dry milk in a bag and add 1.25C makes a fair rice pudding type of breakfast. Put PB and J on a bagle and put it in a freezer bag, instant lunch. I like cheese sticks, a everything bagle and summer sausage. Put the breakfast bag in the lunch bag. If you reduce your cooking to boiling water, you have to carry less.

First aid kit. Benadril stick, band aids, mole skin, tampon, maxi pad. One for serious punctures and the other to stop major bleeding. Individually wrapped and sterile.

Scope outlast spray breath freshener and a tooth brush. Makes the world a happier place.

In my fire kit, I carry a small bag of tinder, a zippo for lighting my stove (makes life easier), a fire steel (bears no resemblance to flint and steel), a very small extra knife, 3 Esbit tabs, and about 5 cotton balls coated in Vaseline in a little pill bottle. If you take about 1/2 a cotton ball out, fluff it out some, all it takes is a spark. Try it, you will be a hit with the boys. That all fits in a small PB jar.

Tommorow, set your tent up and hit it hard with Camp Dry.

A one night is a good way to start. You are not far from the car and a mile and a half will let you know if you are packing to heavy without breaking your back.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,933 Senior Member
    In addition to what has already been said, a small signal mirror, and GPS (if you have one), water purification tablets (I always carry them but have never used them), toilet paper, wash rag and small hand towel for clean up, rain gear, sun burn lotion.

One of the first things you may want to do when you reach your camp site is gather firewood and place it where it won't get wet in case it rains. This may mean covering it plastic, or stashing it under a tree with dense branches. Also, may sure you know how to start a fire.

Some like to carry a small camp shovel. It can come in handy for putting out a camp fire, if you build one, and digging/covering up "cat holes" when nature calls. I'm not sure what you have in mind for that, but it's something to consider.

Has anyone mentioned a flashlight, or other source of artificial light? I consider that an essential part of any day hunt.

I usually carry a daypack, and always have a 4'x6' tarp rolled up in it. It's nice to be able to sit on it if you want to take a break, as opposed to sitting on possibly wet ground. It also makes an ok temporary shelter if you get lost or are unable to get back to camp.

A small saw like a Sierra saw is probably better for cutting wood than a hatchet, and much lighter.

You may not need to worry about cold weather, but wearing a stocking cap at bed time will do a lot to keep you warm. Also, if you have something other than cotton to wear, do so. Cotton does a lousy job of holding in body heat when it gets wet. Water proof boots are always good, too.

How are you planning on packing water? I like to carry an army canteen on a web belt, but your mileage may vary. I've tried the camel backs, but never found them all that useful.

Did anyone mention rope or cord of some kind? Parachute cord is good, and something that can come in real handy.

A small note pad and pen/pencil.

If you don't have a GPS, consider orange trail marking tape. It may make the difference between spending the night in your tent and in the woods.

No doubt I've overlooked a few essentials, and mentioned some things that you may wish to leave at home, or don't have. Just try to think through the time you will leave your vehicle until you return to it and think of what might come up that is within reason.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

ETA: Insect repellant. At this time of year, ticks, fleas, mosquitos, gnats and other bugs should be plentiful. Deer ticks are known to transmit lyme disease, which is something you definitely don't want.

If your feet are prone to sweating, a small can of foot powder can come in handy.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    One other thing.

If you don't know a few basic knots, learn them before you go. You should at least know how to tie a square knot, clove hitch, two half hitches and a bowline. The first three are pretty easy, but the bowline takes a little practice. You should be able to google these and see how to tie them.
    Jerry

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    One other thing.

If you don't know a few basic knots, learn them before you go. You should at least know how to tie a square knot, clove hitch, two half hitches and a bowline. The first three are pretty easy, but the bowline takes a little practice. You should be able to google these and see how to tie them.

Whiskey, bring plenty of Whiskey. If all else fails, at least you won't care what happens!

Seriously, sounds like you've got everything covered reasonably. Have fun.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Clean socks and underwear and baby wipes for a trucker shower before bed.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Take a cotton laundry bag or a pillow case. These come in handy for storing food, dirty clothes, etc. Also take a few trash bags. You should pack out any trash you make. You can also store your dirty clothes and food in them if you don't wish to take a sturdier cloth bag.

Don't keep your food in your tent. You probably don't need to worry about bears, but other varmints such as raccoons, skunks, opossums, etc. might smell the food and make themselves welcome while you're off hunting.

I would probably take at least one cloth bag for food storage, put it into a trash bag to make it water proof, and hang it from a limb of a nearby tree. I'd also hang trash from a tree, but would not put it in a cloth bag.

Having an extra plastic trash bag can make for a rain coat in an pinch, and are easy enough to pack in.
    Jerry

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    A fire is fun, but try to camp without one and use only your stove sparingly. The smell of burning wood will drive away almost all of the wood creatures. Camped one weekend in Western PA. in the Appalachian forest , and without a fire, it looked like a Bambi movie came through our campsite, from mice, chipmunks, squirrels, skunks to deer during the day. It was amazing what came to us without a fire.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,711 Senior Member
    I had a cow stick her head in the pup tent
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    cpj wrote: »
    I've never had an issue with wildlife coming to camp with me while having a campfire.
    And as far as the supply list suggested, might as well add a pop up camper.
    You're going one Mile from your car. Overnight. Bring a gun, a knife, and your tent. Sheesh guys, you forgot the kitchen sink!

Remind me never to shake hands with you right after you return from a one day camping trip. :yikes:
    Jerry

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,450 Senior Member
    Dude it's Ohio! Walk any direction for a half an hour and you will "find" something. Take your smart phone (in a freezer ziplock) and the "map app" will show your current location and where the nearest cabelas is. Ok maybe not that easy but you are overthinking it.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,109 Senior Member
    I've never had an issue with wildlife coming to camp with me while having a campfire.
    And as far as the supply list suggested, might as well add a pop up camper.
    You're going one Mile from your car. Overnight. Bring a gun, a knife, and your tent. Sheesh guys, you forgot the kitchen sink!

I am with Chris on this one..............If you take all the stuff listed above, you will probably need porters to carry it.

Gun, ammo, small waterproof tarp to use as shelter, rolled up sealed cell foam sleeping pad, sleeping bag, food. small first aid kit, cellphone, water, TP, small container of hand wash, 2 cigarette lighters, some para cord, spare pair of dry socks and under wear, knife and a fold up saw, headlamp with a small torch as a spare and a gps if you have one ( compass if you don't.).............

Leave all the other stuff in the car, you are only 30mins tops walk, away from the car if weather is bad etc.

Oh, and have a small bag of high energy snacks in a bum bag when you are hunting.

Pack it all up, then go spend a night on the back lawn before you go hunting using the stuff above to see what you are missing.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Thanks guys. Some of the above is a bit overkill for a day and a night but I'd rather be over prepared than other. I also forgot to mention that a huge lake is near by where I'll be staying. I plan to hunt all day and then set up camp, tent, fire, etc right before the sun starts going down. Can't believe I forgot to add bringing drinking water though. The stuff from the lake will be good for boiling and cooking. Also definite need some padding to sleep on too. I've made that mistake in regular camping before. Snacks and first aid is a must along with my phone and a compass just incase. I can always hike further and set up camp from my car but I'm familiar with the area I've chosen.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    Thanks guys. Some of the above is a bit overkill for a day and a night but I'd rather be over prepared than other. I also forgot to mention that a huge lake is near by where I'll be staying. I plan to hunt all day and then set up camp, tent, fire, etc right before the sun starts going down. Can't believe I forgot to add bringing drinking water though. The stuff from the lake will be good for boiling and cooking. Also definite need some padding to sleep on too. I've made that mistake in regular camping before. Snacks and first aid is a must along with my phone and a compass just incase. I can always hike further and set up camp from my car but I'm familiar with the area I've chosen.

Try no fire... really!

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    insect repellant is your friend.
    A fire won't bother squirrels
    been there done that
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,916 Senior Member
    Pull the cardboard out of a roll of toilet paper and the roll will fit in a 1 quart ziploc freezer bag after you squash the air out of it...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Pull the cardboard out of a roll of toilet paper and the roll will fit in a 1 quart ziploc freezer bag after you squash the air out of it...
    Niceeee. That's a good thing to know. Never know when nature will call.
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Try no fire... really!

D

+2

I can tell you what does not leave my pack. Made a list for the scouts.
    Top:
    Rain gear, TP, head lamp
    Right side pocket:
    Fire kit in a small peanut better jar. Includes; striker, John Wayne (p38) can opener, pill bottle with 5 cotton balls Vaselined, Zippo, small spare knife, small bag of tinder, in a small dry bag, 1AA flashlight
    Left side pocket:
    In a dry bag. Water tablets, straw type purifier, space blanket, 2AA Mag light, notebook, pencil, First aid kit consisting of, travel sewing kit with micro scissors, ½ in med tape, 3 3x3 gauze pads, band aids, benedryl stick, moleskin, Neosporin, germicide hand cleaner, and 3 one use super glue, tampon and maxipad.
    Rear pocket
    Katadyn Hiker Pro water filter, 40’ 550 cord, bag with container of Dawn and ½ dish sponge. (Dawn for washing you and dishes) edit, this is where the bug spray and sunscreen go also.
    Main bag
    Freezer bag with 1 pair socks, 1 t shirt, and 1 set of undies.
    That pretty well covers the ALWAYS load.

Depending on how I am going, warm weather hammock or cool weather tent makes all the difference.
    Sleeping bag pocket.
    Cool weather, 30deg sleeping bag. In warm weather long trip, food and cook set. 5 days worth will fit. Very cold weather clothes and food.

Main bag.
    In a 55L dry bag,
    Very bottom, emergency drawers (from above).
    Bag personal stuff, Alieve, aspirin, Tums, drugs, toothbrush, spray bottle scope outlast (coons love toothpaste) bottle with qtips, razor, deodorant, 2 neckerchiefs (wash and dry).
    Cool/cold weather; tent, (poles go outside) clothes (compressed in a dry bag, 1 socks per day + spare, undies per day, tshirts as needed, spare polypro shirt with long johns for sleeping, knit hat and or silk balaclava for chilly nights), food, cookset. Foam sleeping pad strapped under the pack. Cold, zero deg bag is strapped on top. (try to avoid this,,,,, needing a zero deg bag.... to cold)
    Warm: hammock, bug net, tarp, clothes about the same, 50deg fleece bag.
    Damn, you could set out on a Lewis and Clark expedition lol. I'm just taking it light for it being my first time. I'm planning on carrying everything that I'm going to later set up camp with while I hunt earlier in the day so I don't want to overdue it. I could always set up camp and come back later but that limits me a bit to my hunting area.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,158 Senior Member
    Low of 64 degrees Saturday night. Just take a blanket, tarp, water, sammiches, and some Little Debbies.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Low of 64 degrees Saturday night. Just take a blanket, tarp, water, sammiches, and some Little Debbies.
    Almost forgot I have a fellow Ohioan brother. Good call on the weather. Should be perfect sleeping temps for my like.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,238 Senior Member
    Dang, haven't you guys ever seen the show on the discovery channel, "naked and afraid"? They get one tool, for 21 days not a BACKPACK full for one night! Just kidding of course all good suggestions, just goes to show I hope I never have to spend one night in the woods unexpected with all the stuff I SHOULD be packing. :tooth:
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,158 Senior Member
    Almost forgot I have a fellow Ohioan brother. Good call on the weather. Should be perfect sleeping temps for my like.

Not as of last week........... Moved to Florida!
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Why a zippo over a standard Bic? My luck I'd forget to fill it.

And why a razor?

Bics fail at the worst time and dont care for moisture. When we camp, it rains. I was going to hire the troop out to solve drought problems. In the last three years we have made 2, [more than 2 day] campouts that were 100% dry. I use a iso butane stove and while you can light it with a firesteel, A lighter is faster and you dont use as much fuel lighting it, which means I can go 6 days or more on a canister.

Razor. Because if I go 3 days sweating and dirty without trimming the throat it drives me crazy. I cheapo 2 blade doesnt weigh anything and I already carry Dawn, so a few min before bed and I sleep better. Just once about 1/2 way through a 5 day trip. Can I go without? Sure. I can also go without qtips, tooth brush, deodorant and a sleeping pad. I dont have to, but the sleeping bag smells better on day 4 if I bring that stuff.
    Damn, you could set out on a Lewis and Clark expedition lol. I'm just taking it light for it being my first time. I'm planning on carrying everything that I'm going to later set up camp with while I hunt earlier in the day so I don't want to overdue it. I could always set up camp and come back later but that limits me a bit to my hunting area.
    I do :) I like some comfort though on longer trips. I can and still do a tarp only sometimes. In fact we do that with the scouts once a year. Tarp only. Any kind, any form, its up to them. Its pretty fun to see what they come up with.

The main stuff doesnt weigh much and it lives in the pockets on the outside of the pack. That way all I have to do is toss in clothes and temp related gear for the main and bag parts of the pack. For a one night in good weather, all that would go in would be the hammock, bug net and the 50deg sleeping bag and food. I pack the extra water filter and tabs just in case. The hiker filter is pretty nice but anything can break and I am a adult leader with a lot of people, adults and scouts, that may or may not be as prepared.
    twa wrote: »
    Dang, haven't you guys ever seen the show on the discovery channel, "naked and afraid"? They get one tool, for 21 days not a BACKPACK full for one night! Just kidding of course all good suggestions, just goes to show I hope I never have to spend one night in the woods unexpected with all the stuff I SHOULD be packing. :tooth:
    Havent you ever seen all of the bug bites or the one where the lady contracted a serious disease? I will keep my pack thank you, and BTW, they are always in the jungle where its warm.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Well, how did last weekends hunting and camping trip work out?
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Bueller?
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Having spent up to 42 nights straight through in the woods in a tent on a wildlife study project (though my pick-up was close by), I can say that the LESS you have to keep up with, the better off you will be. With a little practice you'll find that you really don't need much!