67ga Shotguns

HAWKENHAWKEN Senior MemberPosts: 1,685 Senior Member
Anyone else use their 67 gage shotgun, (.410), for squirrels or other small game? I have a petite model 500 Mossberg that I picked up for $125.00 at a local Walmart, when they were getting out of the gun business. It weighs between 5 and 5 1/2 pounds and is chambered for 3" shells. Why does a box of .410 shells cost more than a box of 12ga shells? Anyhow, it is deadly on squirrels, and a hoot to shoot..........robin :up:
I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO

Replies

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,702 Senior Member
    I bought a single barrel break open shotgun for Mark to use in his orchard to keep the birds off his plums etc. With his disabilities, he has difficulty in shooting anything other than an air rifle. However, the 410 is light enough for him to shoulder and the recoil with 2 3/4 shells is manageable. Trouble is, his shotgunning skills have always been 'hit or miss' so to speak.

Every time we do a charter ( when the fruit is in season) I normally grab a few shells and go patrol the fruit trees for a few minutes. Like you say, they are a 'hoot to shoot' and deadly on small birds out to about 30yds. Last bird I shot was at about 12yds ( reflex shot) and the pattern turned a sparrow into a cloud of feathers drifting on the wind leaving nothing recognisable apart from its claws on the lawn.

Wouldn't mind getting a 5 shot semi in 410 one day as a plinking gun cos I reckon it would be a lot of fun shooting the flying mangrove beetles/ blow flies that form clouds over the charter boat during summer.....
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,837 Senior Member
    I've got a .410 "B" Model Fox SxS buried in the back of the gun safe...the thing is built on a 20 gauge frame...short and clunky...but a "family" gun....some years back I had the use of a SxS .410 Hammer Gun of German/Austrian Lineage...this thing was built on a true .410 frame with 28" barrels...it weighted maybe 5 pounds...what a joy to shoot....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • N320AWN320AW Senior Member Posts: 648 Senior Member
    The reason .410 shotgun shells are more expensive than typical 12 gauge or 20 gauge shells is the law of supply and demand. 12 & 20 gauge shells probably account for 80% of shotshells sold here in the USA. The .410's cost almost as much to manufacture as the others, but the demand for them is much less.

Other than target loads, the 28 gauge in hunting loads costs as much as the .410's.
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Always wanted one as a fun gun. I also always thought of it as a commodity type shotgun. Not really necessary but neat to have.
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 698 Senior Member
    My younger brother and me went halves in a Turkish made single shot 410 about 6 years ago, love that thing, light and swings fast, we use it for close rabbits and as a possum gun, handy with slugs as a bail gun for pigs too, full choke too. In fact that's where a lot 410's end up here, cut down (unfortunately, and illegally I might add) into pistols and used up close on pigs.

Hey Orchidman, there's a few Saiga .410's been on trade me as of late, just sayin....:roll2:
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,685 Senior Member
    Did some checking and the dies to change a Mec 600jr from 12 ga to 67ga are about $58.00, or the price of 4 boxes of shells. Kind of makes you say hmmmm...........robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
    waipapa13 wrote: »
    Hey Orchidman, there's a few Saiga .410's been on trade me as of late, just sayin....:roll2:

It will have to wait. My next purchase will be a B/A or single shot in 44 magnum with a full over the barrel suppressor and a 2-7 power scope for use with subsonic loads .............Think pest control.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,118 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I'd love to have one. I just can't justify the cost of shells for their limited use. But I've wanted one for a looooong time.
    I may end up with one, and load up some brass shells.
    Taurus Judge.

Just sayin' :tooth:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    HAWKEN wrote: »
    Did some checking and the dies to change a Mec 600jr from 12 ga to 67ga are about $58.00, or the price of 4 boxes of shells. Kind of makes you say hmmmm...........robin

I KNOW what you're thinkin'

Not a bad idea...
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    zorba wrote: »
    Taurus Judge.

Just sayin' :tooth:

Don't think I haven't thought about it. I almost wish they made a Taurus Judge in smooth bore. That would be a heck of a snake gun. But not for $500.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,985 Senior Member
    Anyone remember the Winchester Lever 94 chambered in .410..............didn't really take off, but probably worth more than they sold fer these days to a collector.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 698 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    It will have to wait. My next purchase will be a B/A or single shot in 44 magnum with a full over the barrel suppressor and a 2-7 power scope for use with subsonic loads .............Think pest control.

That sounds cool, I just got a 45-70 trapdoor Springfield reproduction from Hayes and associates and have been reading up on mouse fart loads for it, just waiting on some ammo for it, never shot a 45-70 before so I'm a bit excited, are you dead set on a single shot? Elkcreek's thread on a bolt action 450 marlin got me thinking and searching, I found a mauser action with a magnum bolt face on trade me, that would be interesting as a suppressed thumper, just sometching that got me thinking.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,118 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    No. Not ever.

I had a charter arms snake charmer for a weekend. Short pistol gripped looking thing. Could store a handful of rounds in the stock. It was "stainless" steel. That rusted literally overnight. And the empty shells would stick in the chamber. And it was brand new. I ended up taking it back to the LGS where I got it, and traded it on something else.

Oh but a Taurus would be SO much better! :devil:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    waipapa13 wrote: »
    That sounds cool, I just got a 45-70 trapdoor Springfield reproduction from Hayes and associates and have been reading up on mouse fart loads for it, just waiting on some ammo for it, never shot a 45-70 before so I'm a bit excited, are you dead set on a single shot? Elkcreek's thread on a bolt action 450 marlin got me thinking and searching, I found a mauser action with a magnum bolt face on trade me, that would be interesting as a suppressed thumper, just sometching that got me thinking.

Not dead set on a single shot.............just trying to spend as little as I can at the moment. The gun fund is suffering from diminished funds as I have to buy a new gunsafe........or two actually......
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,685 Senior Member
    I'm curious; I've seen and shot .410 shells in a trap door Springfield. Could you load shot shells in 45-70 hulls, with an over shot card to hold the shot in? Would they work in a .410 shotgun? robin
    Back when I was a kid, I used to could buy shotgun shells by the piece for around 10 cents for 12 ga. at the local Western Auto store. One day I found some Blue Paper Remington Peters 410 slugs. I bought about 10. I had great thoughts about using them for deer. I took them out and sighted them in at a paint bucket I think it was. I hit the bucket at about 30 yards and called it good. I never had an opportunity to try them out, probably a good thing. But to this day I still wonder if they would reliably kill deer out to 50 yards. I had those slugs up until I got my divorce in 2001, but never tried them out.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,019 Senior Member
    I think Mossberg imports an over/under shotgun in .410. Pretty nice for the money. Made in Turkey I believe.
  • justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    A half ounce of #8s to the face at 10 yards will put a coyote down quick. Just sayin.