Antler sheds

Dr. dbDr. db Senior MemberPosts: 1,541 Senior Member
I have a shed that is almost bone white.
Is there any way to restore the color and sheen? I know the buck uses natural tanin from bark for color.

Replies

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,551 Senior Member
    Wood stain and varnish?
  • NJSOGNJSOG Member Posts: 101 Member
    Shoe Polish, tan, brown or neutral. You can use 2000 grit sand paper to lighten up the color or make the point tips white.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,701 Senior Member
    Get yourself some potassium permangate.
    25grams in a large coffee mug of hot water. Paint it on and let it dry. It will be purpleish when wet but will dry brown.

Use the back of a knife or some coarse sandpaper to rub the antler when its dry. This will highlight the pearling and tips. Finish polishing with some fine grit paper.

Practise on a piece of antler and vary the ratio of potassium to lighten or darken the stain.

Don't spill any on yourself cos it takes ages to fade............and do it outside, the KOTCB will get real pissed if you spill it inside.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,257 Senior Member
    There's an antiquing solution called "Old Bones" which has Potassium Permangnate in it. It's used to dye bone-type knife scales, etc. Most of the hobby craft supply sellers carry it. I get mine from Dixie Gun Works in Union City Tennessee.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,551 Senior Member
    Potassium permanganate will also cure your athlete's foot - and dye your feet purple.
  • hawk18hawk18 Senior Member Posts: 728 Senior Member
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but, here's a comparison. I'm rebuilding that old Camillus I rescued and am using some old elk shed antler that is bleached out. Here is a before and after shot of the antler and a shot of the products I used. The photo of the knife is badly lit and the antler is darker than in real life. The before should be nearly white. I rough shaped the handle, stained it with the wood stain, then gave it a vacuum soak in the hardener. It will lighten up some and streak when I sand it to the final fit.

Hawk