.223 hunters

tubabucknuttubabucknut BannedPosts: 3,520 Senior Member
What bullet are you using for your medium game/deer loads? Just curious.
It's because I hate Trump.

Replies

• ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    I have no dog in this fight. I don't own anything chambered in .223 but I've shot plenty guns that were chambered in it. Always was meh to me. I'd take oddity chamberings over it anyday with some exceptions. Fast bullet but still a small bullet. I'll take a 30 06 over it anyday. Especially on deer and larger.
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Oh yeah, Sierra Game Kings....
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    What bullet are you using for your medium game/deer loads? Just curious.

Tuba, I have three bullets for my 223 and 22-250 for deer. I have some 68 Grain BTHP MatchKings, I have some of these 65 grain Game Kings, and I have the best deer-hog bullet made for a .223. Around here, a lot of people use them, the Speer 70 grain Semi Spitzer. It's not a 500 yard bullet, but if I wanted to kill deer at that range I think I'd get bigger round than a .223 Remington. But in the 100-200 yard range it's pretty deadly.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Thanks Ghost, CPJ, Snake.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    If you want a factory load look for Federal Fusion 62gr SP. The two deer I have killed with a .223 were with that load. One head shot and the other deer got shot in the chest just inside the shoulder, the bullet exited just in front of the right ham.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,225 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    For deer, this one.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/199027/sierra-gameking-bullets-22-caliber-224-diameter-65-grain-spitzer-boat-tail-box-of-100

Daughter shot a small doe last year. It ran about 70 yards, ran out of our view and went into the brush where we couldn't find it. Didn't leave a blood trail and we never found it. I found a leg two week later, then searched where "I was certain it didn't run" to find the rest of it. Would I use that gun and load again? In a heart beat. is it a perfect deer round? No. But it will work. Just be choosy with they shots.
    That's the exact bullet I set my daughter up for with my AR, but she never got to take a shot with it the weekend I took her hunting. Like you said, take the sure shot and I think it is more than capable...Lord knows it's as accurate as they come in a hunting-specific bullet design.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,552 Senior Member
    I've seen two small deer taken with 55 grain Barnes TSX factory ammo. Both had devastating wounds in the rib cage, and didn't get 50 yards after being hit. So, I have loaded 100 of the Barnes TSX in 70 grain, for my 1:8 20" AR varmint rifle. My grandson may use some of them this year, and I'm confident that he can make a clean kill with them. I wouldn't be afraid of them at any range out to about 150 yards. They easily group in the vicinity of .5 MOA in my rifle.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    I've used:

50gr Winchester Ballistic Silvertip
    62gr Speer GD (Federal Fusion bullet)
    64gr Speer GD
    64gr Winchester Power Point
    77gr Sierra HPBT-MK

Everything died/dropped relatively quickly if not instantly.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,702 Senior Member
    For my 222 I use a 50gr Sierra psp. Have used it to take Fallow, Red deer, Hogs, Goats and even a wild Hereford Bull ( headshot).

With correct shot placement a similar sized projectile in a 223 will be more than effective.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    Thanks again guys.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,662 Senior Member
    I load the Nosler bonded 64gr over a max charge of CFE223 (26.0gr per Nosler's website/data)

I have yet to get a shot at a deer with them though, so no report on their effectiveness, or lack there of :uhm:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

One thing, a .223 is kinda marginal for deer size game unless you have real good shot placement. If you do your part in that department, probably anything listed here is good.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 wrote: »
    One thing, a .223 is kinda marginal for deer size game unless you have real good shot placement. If you do your part in that department, probably anything listed here is good.
    I would not consider it marginal, but I agree, shot placement is key. It is always key.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,978 Senior Member
    I thought that shot placement was always of paramount importance.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Agreed.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member

Even with a .243 Winchester and 100gr Hornady InterLok bullets.

:-)
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,552 Senior Member
    To my way of thinking, the number one thing that does make the .223 viable as a hunting round is the ability of inexperienced hunters to shoot it accurately. My wife demonstrated that perfectly to me last week. She shot about ten rounds through my grandson's rifle - the second time she had ever fired any rifle (the first being 42 years ago) - and shot the last three rounds into a 1.75 inch group around the bulls eye, with plastic 'iron sights', a cheap rifle, and 1 MOA hand loads. She was not at all frightened by the noise or recoil and had a delightful time doing it.

A person who can stay calm and understands the anatomy of the game animal they want to take can easily place a quality .223 hunting round in a part of a deer's anatomy that will put it down quickly, at short range.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,978 Senior Member
    No.
    If you hit the deer anywhere with that they die instantly...
    Zee wrote: »
    Even with a .243 Winchester and 100gr Hornady InterLok bullets.

:-)
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    No.
    If you hit the deer anywhere with that they die instantly...

Anything but a .243 with a 100 Grain Hornady Interloc. You have to have a little something to work with ya know.....

:jester:
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,378 Senior Member
    When I head to the Lone Star State this winter my AR will be coming with me for the ride, and just in case I get the chance to stop at my cousins' place for a day or two and go sit in a blind I am going to grab a box of either 64gr Winchester Power Points or 62gr Federal Fusion (whichever I find first).

On Southern deer I have no qualms at all with using a well constructed .223 bullet. My grandfather used to take deer all the time with a .22-250 loaded with 55gr soft points.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C