Any 6x45 fans here?

bisleybisley Senior MemberPosts: 10,552 Senior Member
I've been reading up on this, and I can't find anybody who doesn't like it. Basically it's a slightly downloaded .243 that can easily be loaded for with re-sized .223 brass and .243 bullets. It can be loaded with 85 grain bullets to magazine length for an AR.

What's not to like?

Replies

• WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,740 Senior Member
    The 6mm Old Sarge.....Zee has or had one and did some "testing" with it
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    I......absolutely.......LOVE......mine!

I'll look up all the old threads for your reading pleasure.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,552 Senior Member
    Hmm. I actually posted to one of those threads, but I guess that I missed the chambering on the rifle, or maybe I just wasn't interested in it, at the time, because I didn't realize how easy it would be to change the barrel out or resize .223 cases. Great reports. :up:

So, I'm going to think this over a bit, now. I've got a lower waiting that I was going to buy a cheap upper for, for plinking/HD. But, the 6x45 idea is very interesting, and heck, I've already got 2 boxes of 85 gr. Game Kings, so, all I need is the dies. Hmm.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Funny you should ask.

I just finished assembling my 6x45 upper this weekend.

20150907_161443_zpscabnc4ia.jpg

I used the same AR Stoner barrel that Zee did along with a Nordic FFT and a TRIDELTA muzzle brake. The upper is a BCM with I forget which NiB BCG and a BCM GUNFIGHTER charging handle. The scope is a Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12 and the mount is a Burris P.E.P.R.

I am letting the paint on the barrel cure properly (this time), now I just have to load some ammo.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Very nice. Range report, soon, I hope.
    Of course, for about the same expense, I could simply buy a .243 barrel for my 7mm-08 AR. But then I couldn't use all of that .223 brass I have.
    bisley wrote: »
    Of course, for about the same expense, I could simply buy a .243 barrel for my 7mm-08 AR. But then I couldn't use all of that .223 brass I have.

Switching barrels is kind of a pain. Besides, you need a NEW round to work up a load for.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Very nice. Range report, soon, I hope.

In the next couple of weeks. Go look at Zee's range report and make the groups a bit larger. Then you have a preview.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Also, I have still not tested the 70 grain Barnes (.223) TSX on game, yet. It could perform near enough to the 85 grain Game Kings that I would be satisfied with it. It is certainly very accurate from a 20" 1:8 heavy barrel. Ah, well, I have plenty of time to decide. Just gathering facts, at this stage.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    Also, I have still not tested the 70 grain Barnes (.223) TSX on game, yet. It could perform near enough to the 85 grain Game Kings that I would be satisfied with it. It is certainly very accurate from a 20" 1:8 heavy barrel. Ah, well, I have plenty of time to decide. Just gathering facts, at this stage.

The Barnes should work fine. And if it doesn't give you satisfactory performance there's other .224" 70 grains out there. The 70 grain Speer Semi Spitzer isn't real sexy or exotic, but it just works. It expands well but holds together for adequate penetration on Deer size animals. That, and you get 100 bullets in a box at a reasonable price. AND, it's semi spitzer and stabilizes in 1:12 and even 1:14 twist barrels.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    I want to be a 6x45 fan, but I have talked myself out of it. I don't see myself shooting 20 rounds of 6mm at one time anything anytime soon. The .243 Winchester makes about 2000 FPE from a 100 gr bullet and is cheap , accurate and widely available. The 6mmx45 makes about 1300 FPE - 1500 FPE from a smaller bullet and you can only make your own ammo, plus the barrel alone for your upper is about $225.00 ( currently in stock at Midway) . So a finished upper w / o charging handle or BCG is about $75, $225 for the barrel, $40 for the gas tube and low profile gas port, and $100 for a decent floating hand guard puts the upper at $440 plus optic and charging handle and BCG. Gorgeous used .243's with glass can be had for under $400 that shoot sub MOA. So I just cannot justify it.

However, I am looking into a .458 SOCOM seriously.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    The attraction to me is that I have lots of .223 brass and that it doesn't require much to convert it. I've discarded the .300 Blackout because the brass is a small pain to chop, trim and chamfer, and yields a cartridge that won't out perform the 7mm-08 AR that I enjoy shooting just as much as the .223 AR. The .223 is borderline, in my opinion, for deer and hogs, and the 6mm bullet gives it just enough extra punch to remove those lingering doubts. I can see no real downside to it for a hand loader, except that I don't really need it...and I don't let that bother me much.

So, I will probably wait until I either lose interest in it, or have decided the .223 in 70 grain doesn't please me enough as a hunting round. I hope to have more personal experience with that after this hunting season.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    The attraction to me is that I have lots of .223 brass and that it doesn't require much to convert it. I've discarded the .300 Blackout because the brass is a small pain to chop, trim and chamfer, and yields a cartridge that won't out perform the 7mm-08 AR that I enjoy shooting just as much as the .223 AR. The .223 is borderline, in my opinion, for deer and hogs, and the 6mm bullet gives it just enough extra punch to remove those lingering doubts. I can see no real downside to it for a hand loader, except that I don't really need it...and I don't let that bother me much.

So, I will probably wait until I either lose interest in it, or have decided the .223 in 70 grain doesn't please me enough as a hunting round. I hope to have more personal experience with that after this hunting season.

In a bolt gun or even more so a single shot, a .223 is a little marginal in my opinion too, but with good shot placement and good choice of bullet, it will suffice. But in a Semi Auto with the option of a quick follow up shot, it becomes a good bit more formidable on deer and hogs.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,102 Senior Member
    Funny you should ask.

I just finished assembling my 6x45 upper this weekend.

20150907_161443_zpscabnc4ia.jpg

I used the same AR Stoner barrel that Zee did along with a Nordic FFT and a TRIDELTA muzzle brake. The upper is a BCM with I forget which NiB BCG and a BCM GUNFIGHTER charging handle. The scope is a Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12 and the mount is a Burris P.E.P.R.

I am letting the paint on the barrel cure properly (this time), now I just have to load some ammo.

Well done.

What bullet weights you thinking? 60ish or 80ish grain?
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Well done.

What bullet weights you thinking? 60ish or 80ish grain?

I am fairly sure I bought the same HPBT Game kings that Zee used. I know they are an 85gr Sierra. Later I will play with some varmint bullets.
    Dad 5-31-13