Introducing the .430 SJS and My First Bear

JermanatorJermanator Senior MemberPosts: 15,351 Senior Member
Grab the popcorn kids. Here is a start...
5036_zpsxp75qmve.jpg
Not anything for the record books, but I shot a 175 pound boar 11 minutes before legal light ended on my 4th day of bear hunting. (I was only scheduled for three.) I am on the left, bear in the middle, and my guide, Kip Cameron, on the right...
5029_zpsc0jeqeic.jpg
The rifle is a Marlin X7 chambered in my wildcat, the .430 SJS with reamers made by Dave Manson and the experimental barrel made by X-Caliber barrels. The scope is a Leupold Vx-1 1-4x shotgun scope with the Turkey-Plex.
5081_zps2on0uwov.jpg
.430 SJS next to a bear wiener...
5090_zpsnlafluwj.jpg

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,778 Senior Member
    Woohoo!

Jerm draws first blood on big game for the "fall" season!!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,351 Senior Member
    Full disclosure: I do intend to market the .430 SJS. I have an LLC formed, lines of credit, bank accounts, domain names purchased. It is currently not for sale. It is still in experimental stages, but I feel it is something that adds to the body of knowledge of this forum and has value in that way. Mods-- If I cross a line, please let me know. When I intend to market it, you will know it!

The reason I developed this is because Michigan finally changed their laws regarding rifles in the lower half of the lower peninsula. For ages, all that was allowed was handguns with straight walled cases, .35 caliber and larger, shotguns, and muzzle loaders. Last year, they allowed rifles. The rule is that they have to be straight walled, .35 caliber or larger, and the case cannot exceed 1.8" in length. Indiana and Ohio have passed similar legislation for deer hunting. My intent is to market it at gun shows in the region so hunters have an alternative to lever action .44 mag rifles. My cartridge works in standard .308 bolt rifles. People in those areas can now hunt deer with bolt action rifles like God intended!

I was talking about this years ago when they were only talking about making the change to the law. I put it on hold until they actually passed something. It was supposed to be a .45 caliber round. Come to find out, someone else had the same idea. That is now the .45 Raptor. Once I heard about that, I had to change gears and found that a .44 caliber bullet works great in a .308 case. The .430 SJS is essentially a longer version of the .44 Automag. Ballistically,it either meets or exceeds a .444 Marlin. My conservative load using Hornady 265gr FTX bullets exceeds .444 Marlin velocities at 2200fps.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,737 Senior Member
    Outstanding!!!!!

Look forward to hearing the details of the hunt Jerm. Taking that critter with your own wildcat has to be one of the most satisfying things you can do with your clothes on................You did have your clothes on I hope...........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    orchidman wrote: »
    You did have your clothes on I hope...........
    They don't call it bare hunting without a reason! :wink:
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,032 Senior Member
    Cool bear, cool gun you made, excellent hunting results:applause:. What made you decide to stay the extra day? Hope that gun project takes off for you, make a million:win:

$5 fine for no autopsy photos.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    What made you decide to stay the extra day?
    Kip's son, Jason said that since my daughter's birthday was yesterday (9/13) I would get a bear that day... because daughters are lucky. Sure enough, he was right!
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    $5 fine for no autopsy photos.
    I told you to get your popcorn. It may take me some time to get all the information out, but trust me, you will not be disappointed.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,319 Senior Member
    Congrats. Did you use the guides butt as a rest?
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,212 Senior Member
    Well Done! Looks like a good eating size bear....nice baculum...:up: Nice work on the cartridge/rifle combo as well.....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,930 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Outstanding!!!!!

Look forward to hearing the details of the hunt Jerm. Taking that critter with your own wildcat has to be one of the most satisfying things you can do with your clothes on................You did have your clothes on I hope...........

That's what I'm talkin about!!! Heck even when you kill something with a reload you worked up it's a thrill in my book. Doing it with your own wildcat is even mo betta! Congrats! Nice bear too!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    Congrats. Did you use the guides butt as a rest?
    Even at the close ranges I was at, I still used some sort of rest. In this case, a monopod...
    5007_zps6hliveff.jpg
    CPJ used Butt Jerm for a rest. I don't use them. I learned that bear have the best sense of smell in all of the animal kingdom-- 7 times better than a bloodhound! Therefore, Butt Jerm had to go into hiding. I bought suspenders!
    Jermanator wrote:
    The rifle is a Marlin X7.
    I paid less than $300 for the donor rifle new. It has a barrel nut that is compatible with Savage. The threads to the barrel are similar to a Savage but there is a minor difference in the bolt heads which change the headspacing a little bit. X-Caliber took my take off barrel and duplicated everything so you can now order barrels from them that fit the Marlin X-7 rifles just like you can with Savages. The rifle comes with a cheap pillar bedded polymer stock and a user adjustable trigger. The stock can be replaced with a real laminate one from Boyd's. I adjusted the trigger on my rifle for a fairly decent 2 pounds, 5 ounces. For an inexpensive rifle that is easy to customize, you could do much worse.
    Jermanator wrote: »
    The scope is a Leupold Vx-1 1-4x shotgun scope with the Turkey-Plex.
    Kids... buy this!!! If you are woods hunters and 150 yards may as well be the moon.... while we all want to be Jack O'Connor and shoot across canyons to kill our prey, the reality is that most of my shots are within 50 yards (many under 20) but may need to take one at the extreme range of 100 yards. This 1-4x scope is perfect for woods hunting! I bought this scope for hunting season last year, but it was sent somewhere else by mistake and was in limbo for awhile. I had to buy a Leupold VX-III 1.5-5x locally so I could let my son use the Ruger 44/77 to hunt with last season.

The VX-III is freaking awesome! That said, I was too lazy to switch it to the SJS and put the turkey scope on it instead. Want value? It is going for $217 at Midway right now...
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/812958/leupold-vx-1-shotgun-scope-1-4x-20mm-turkey-plex-reticle-matte
    My hunting hours are 30 minutes before sunrise to 30 minutes after sunset. This scope allowed me to hunt that way in a darkened blind, in darkened woods. I could see just as well through the scope as I could with my naked eye. I shot my bear at 8:11-- 11 minutes before last legal light on the last day of hunting-- 19 minutes after sunset. People with lesser scopes and sights would have already been in the truck because they can't see crap in light like that. The scope was set at 1x. It weighs 9 ounces.
    The shot...
    Somewhere around 15-20 yards. Yes, I still use a rest at that distance. Rests are an effective tool at any distance. I will use any tool that will help me make a quick, clean kill. Mr. Bear was a beautiful healthy animal before he met me. I owed it to him to dispatch him as quickly and cleanly as I could. The load was a considerable charge of H-110 in modified Hornady .308 brass pushing 265gr Hornady FTX bullets in .430. They clocked on the chronometer at around 2200fps. I estimate the impact velocity somewhere around 2150fps.

Entry wound...
    5013_zps8uir8pm6.jpg
    5087_zps6loxgig8.jpg
    On the left side...
    5084_zpsxtrme6o2.jpg
    5077_zpsxc6jpbgc.jpg
    5076_zpswsseql7y.jpg
    5075_zpsfyejzrkq.jpg
    Toasted both lungs and the liver. Heart was intact...
    5054_zpsso4utj6u.jpg
    Exit wound...
    5086_zpsdbex0zkt.jpg
    5084_zpsxtrme6o2.jpg
    So yea, I hit this bear hard! He made it about 25 yards before expiring. I am thinking that the .430 SJS is suitable for anything in North America. I would not hesitate to use it for moose or brown bear. I have had discussions with Jackson Engineering about making some sort of system featuring this cartridge that would make a fairly inexpensive, lightweight bolt action bush rifle-- we will see what happens.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,100 Senior Member
    Outstanding!
    Cool cartridge, and write up.
    Congrats on a nice bear!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,018 Senior Member
    Looks good my friend :up:
    congrats:beer:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

That is quite a dear bar with a nicel large hole in him. Good shooting!
    For me, I'm thinking 240gr XTP screaming along at 2,400 fps.

The velocity threshold according to Hornady is 900-2,200 fps. Think I'll conduct a little science.

Besides, I already stock those bullets.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,731 Senior Member
    Great report - I especially like the dowel rod indicating bullet path. :up:
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,782 Senior Member
    Good luck on your cartridge Jerm and glad you could stay that extra day.
    Did you get to hear the death moan?.......That one is a good eating size.
    He had quite a bit of fat for this time of year.
    Before winter he probably would have been in the 225 range
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,731 Senior Member
    I have seen a bull-pecker walking cane and a ****-pecker toothpick, but this is my first bear-pecker knitting needle. :tooth:
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,408 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    They don't call it bare hunting without a reason! :wink:

I was going to ask whose bum was used as a rest for the shot...

Seriously though, man, congrats all around. From getting drawn to getting it done, great job!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,773 Senior Member
    OK, that is cool. Could that round work in an AR-10 platform?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,750 Senior Member
    CONGRATULATIONS Jerm!!!

What a way to show the world a cartridge that you came up with by yourself.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,032 Senior Member
    Have you shot targets for groups at 100 (or more) yds yet? Very nice autopsy photos, thanks.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,810 Senior Member
    Wow, Jerm... Successful hunt and rifle development, congrats! That's about .308 power levels ( 2400 FPE muzzle ) with a much higher sectional density. Sounds like a winner! :) I have to say I am impressed with my Marlin X7 rifles as well. Pity Remington has decided to discontinue them. There are some .270 and 30-06 Marlin X7 rifles on GB right now for $250 new. Really an incredible buy.

So what are you going to make out of the meat? Who is tanning your hide?

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    Zee wrote: »
    For me, I'm thinking 240gr XTP screaming along at 2,400 fps.

The velocity threshold according to Hornady is 900-2,200 fps. Think I'll conduct a little science.

Besides, I already stock those bullets.
    My only real concern is the feeding issue. The round may be too short to feed properly in the magazine. Other than that, it should work well.
    Weatherby wrote: »
    Did you get to hear the death moan?
    Yes.
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    OK, that is cool. Could that round work in an AR-10 platform?
    Yes.