Home Main Category Hunting

Introducing the .430 SJS and My First Bear

1356

Replies

  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,764 Senior Member
    Very nice, Jerm!
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,131 Senior Member
    I really want to see what it can do with heavy gas checked cast bullets. That, and subsonic. This is going to be a whole lot of fun!
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,131 Senior Member
    First shot ever fired....
    th_DSCN0364_zpsgroff7a1.mp4
    Note that my face was nowhere near the action!
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,131 Senior Member
    Checking to see if the bullet actually came out after the first shot ever fired....
    th_DSCN0365_zpsj2aomzbn.mp4
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,131 Senior Member
    JB firing the first Savage chambered in .430 SJS ever...
    th_DSCN0373_zpsefm3svyk.mp4
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Glad for you, ole Buddy! But I have one question! Who drug that damn thing out of the woods? You? :tooth:
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,326 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    I really want to see what it can do with heavy gas checked cast bullets. That, and subsonic. This is going to be a whole lot of fun!


    Just made one. Stand by for pics.......
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,131 Senior Member
    Glad for you, ole Buddy! But I have one question! Who drug that damn thing out of the woods? You? :tooth:
    That is the good thing about hiring a guide! I will not lie.... there is no way I could have pulled off this hunt without my guide. I hunted way up in the UP which is a 5 hour drive from my house. I could have done the scouting myself this summer, but there is the matter of getting the bears onto baits, setting the blinds out ahead of time, and keeping up with it all on a daily basis for a month before the hunt. An incredible amount of work goes into it. His rate is extremely reasonable. If he even makes money off the endeavor, it is probably pocket change-- Kip just likes to hunt bear!

    Anyway, I strained a ligament in my knee back in June. It still hasn't healed all the way. Carrying my bait to the blind every morning was a challenge by itself. Dragging a bear out would have been excruciating. Jason (Kip's son) and one of his friends drug the bear out. I left them a nice tip!
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Just made one. Stand by for pics.......

    Still standing by....
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Still standing by....
    :that:
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,545 Senior Member
    Sweet! Nice bear,way nice rifle. Now get to cuttin'.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,326 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Still standing by....


    Hey, kids homework got in the way!

    325gr WFN-GC next to a 240gr XTP

    DSCN2980_zpsmqsimcrf.jpg

    Yeah.........I'm liking the hard cast! A lot!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,131 Senior Member
    Elk creek wrote: »
    Now get to cuttin'.
    I know we were supposed to get together last weekend to do this, but I didn't have a bear at the time to do it with. I am getting ready to do some butchering in a few minutes. I have: 2 front quarters, 2 rear quarters, 1 undamaged bear heart, 1 thorax/ribcage, 1 pelvis, 1 neck, 2 backstraps, 2 tenderloins, and a whole lot of fat I plan on rendering.

    I was planning in cutting off the shanks on the quarters and doing the pulled bear butt thing with the fronts, and using the rears as hams or some really nice roasts. The tenderloins and loins are self explanatory. Then what? I know I want to do some sausage and try to stretch this bear out as much as possible so I can share with as many friends and family as I can.

    What does the master butcher suggest?
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,131 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Yeah.........I'm liking the hard cast! A lot!
    Me too. That excites me in a special place! One suggestion though... The cartridge headspaces on the case mouth. If you crimp, be very light with it. What I have found is that the .44 mag dies and Lee FCD alone aren't enough to load for this round, I had to use a .444 Marlin sizing die to get a fired case to hold a bullet again.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,545 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    I know we were supposed to get together last weekend to do this, but I didn't have a bear at the time to do it with. I am getting ready to do some butchering in a few minutes. I have: 2 front quarters, 2 rear quarters, 1 undamaged bear heart, 1 thorax/ribcage, 1 pelvis, 1 neck, 2 backstraps, 2 tenderloins, and a whole lot of fat I plan on rendering.

    I was planning in cutting off the shanks on the quarters and doing the pulled bear butt thing with the fronts, and using the rears as hams or some really nice roasts. The tenderloins and loins are self explanatory. Then what? I know I want to do some sausage and try to stretch this bear out as much as possible so I can share with as many friends and family as I can.

    What does the master butcher suggest?
    Bear belly, just treat it like fresh pork side or belly. Make a great bacon, or braise it and serve it au natural. Braised bear shank with wild mushroom port sauce. Bear stew with barley and mushrooms. Bear has an earthy flavor that will remind you of where you shot it. enjoy!!!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,272 Senior Member
    Jerm, you's got "mail" :tooth:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.


  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,131 Senior Member
    :up:
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,131 Senior Member
    Here is about the only thing internet related about my guide Kip. He doesn't have email and doesn't use a computer but it appears that someone set up a Facebook page for him. If you are ever interested, just call the number there. It is his home phone.

    https://www.facebook.com/Camerons-Little-Two-Heart-Bear-Guide-Service-518921811541661/timeline/
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Me too. That excites me in a special place! One suggestion though... The cartridge headspaces on the case mouth. If you crimp, be very light with it. What I have found is that the .44 mag dies and Lee FCD alone aren't enough to load for this round, I had to use a .444 Marlin sizing die to get a fired case to hold a bullet again.

    Answers all my questions...

    Wildcatting is something I've always wanted to do.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Nice bear, good luck with the wildcat!
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,131 Senior Member
    What I have been doing for case forming is running ,308 Winchester brass through .338 Federal dies, .375 H&H, then .416 Rem mag to expand the necks. From there, I use the .44 mag expander, trim to 1.8", run them in the .444 sizer dies (with the expander button removed-- because the brass is a bit thicker and they stick really easy) then trim again. Trim length MUST be between 1.785" and 1.8"-- too long, and you pinch the brass creating an over pressure situation and risk potential case head separation. Too short, and it won't extract. I learned both of these the hard way.

    Since I didn't blow my face off yet, some time next week, my sounding board/advisers will be getting their barrels and begin loading themselves. With any luck, one of us will find a way to streamline making brass. If this is something that I can seriously be able to market, I will have brass manufactured, ready to go.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    When I had my 338x284 built, I considered going to either 30 or 35 caliber, but eventually settled on 33. I wish that someone here (in this forum) would try using the .284 Winchester case and neck it up to .308. Probably wouldn't give you much more than you get with a .308, and less than an .06, but you would probably be the only kid on the block with one. Necking up to .358 might shorten the neck to much, so it's probably not a great idea.
    Regardless, it's a great feeling when someone you think up works out.

    Oh I think it would give you a good bit more than a .308 but yes, maybe a little less than a .30-06.

    But your 338-284 sounds really good. Or maybe even a .358-284. Both sound great to me.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,442 Senior Member
    That's a good eating size bear. And it looks like your cartridge performed like a champ!
    Hope you can get things set up to make some money off that one and the others; that would be sweet.

    On the brass forming, have you considered using the chamber reamer to have a FL die made for it? Not an uncommon thing to have a die reamed then hardened for wildcats using the chamber reamer. Just throwing out the idea.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,131 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    On the brass forming, have you considered using the chamber reamer to have a FL die made for it? Not an uncommon thing to have a die reamed then hardened for wildcats using the chamber reamer. Just throwing out the idea.
    That will work great after it is formed. The thing with the .308 brass is that it is slightly oversized near the base and then it slowly tapers so you need to keep expanding and expanding it to work. I designed it not so much to work with the parent case as I did for ease of manufacture. For a die set? I can do it the way you suggested and get the inside chromed .002" or I can have Manson make me a reamer that is that much undersized (if I want to make a bunch of them with blanks).
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    That will work great after it is formed. The thing with the .308 brass is that it is slightly oversized near the base and then it slowly tapers so you need to keep expanding and expanding it to work. I designed it not so much to work with the parent case as I did for ease of manufacture. For a die set? I can do it the way you suggested and get the inside chromed .002" or I can have Manson make me a reamer that is that much undersized (if I want to make a bunch of them with blanks).

    As Teach told me when I was building my .257 Improved, you can't make a die with a chamber reamer. The chamber is bigger than the resized case. If you make a die with the chamber reamer, it won't resize even the neck so the case won't hold the bullet.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,131 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    As Teach told me when I was building my .257 Improved, you can't make a die with a chamber reamer. The chamber is bigger than the resized case. If you make a die with the chamber reamer, it won't resize even the neck so the case won't hold the bullet.
    Snake-- you just quoted me where I said how to deal with that issue. You use the chamber reamer in the die blank, then you chrome it .002" or so, so it is smaller than the chamber. That will resize the case.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    The old-school method of making loading dies for wildcat rounds was to use the "roughing" chamber reamer to cut the resizing die. It's not the best idea in the world, but it sort of works. A roughing die cuts about 90-95% of the finish reamer's dimensions to save wear on the finisher when cutting an unchambered barrel blank. I suppose the finisher could be used to make the seating die and a regular .44 handgun case expander die could be used if necessary for bullet starting.
    Jerry
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Snake-- you just quoted me where I said how to deal with that issue. You use the chamber reamer in the die blank, then you chrome it .002" or so, so it is smaller than the chamber. That will resize the case.

    Sorry, I didn't catch that last part. A cop came down my street about 50 mph and killed one of the wife's cats. One of our favorites. I was pissed off and got on here to calm down. I saw what Tenn mike said and I remember Teach telling me that, because I asked the question because I thought the die for my AI would be very expensive. Hell it cost me about $25 from Midway so it was a moot point.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,131 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Sorry, I didn't catch that last part. A cop came down my street about 50 mph and killed one of the wife's cats. One of our favorites.
    Doh!!! You are excused.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,131 Senior Member
    Elk creek wrote: »
    Bear has an earthy flavor that will remind you of where you shot it. enjoy!!!
    I got to try some. It is very good! It has a whole lot more flavor than beef-- not gamey at all. Earthy is a good way to describe it. The bear fat has a nuttiness to it. Yes, Teach... I cooked it well done.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement