12346»

Replies

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    A proper SJS barrel.

9B5AEA96-FB4E-494E-9D9E-6BDEC1DCF3EC_zpsv9ngoqlh.jpg

20" Stainless Heavy Magnum Contour.

Is that your hand, or your boy's?
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    Custom. Passing it around..............like Buffy.
    Ah, I see.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,988 Senior Member
    Is that your hand, or your boy's?

Better check your shoes as well.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Better check your shoes as well.

I wear tall boots, bring a ladder.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,988 Senior Member
    I wear tall boots, bring a ladder.

I'll bring a ladder to leave a stool.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    I'll bring a ladder to leave a stool.

Ok, go right ahead.

I think I still have a package of baby wipes around the house for cleaning up little people messes.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    I have been doing some calculations on Quickload trying to figure out where to take a stab for different bullets. Using the modest pressure of 52,000 psi as a limit (.308 Winchester brass is rated for 62,000 psi) we are supposed to get from a 20" barrel the following velocities from these bullets when seated to the crimp groove...

310gr Lee gas check cast 2045fps
    300gr XTP 2081fps
    265gr FTX 2158fps
    265gr FP 2215fps
    240gr XTP 2330fps

Not bad! I am hitting the mark with meeting and/or exceeding .444 Marlin velocities. Now we get to test them. If we find these loads safe and reliable, we may start creeping up to the 62,000 psi limit. I would rather wait until my test barrel comes in though so I can get some real feedback on the pressures.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    cpj wrote: »
    Run the 180s please.
    I can't seem to find mine. That and the 225's. I need one of you jackasses to load me one and give me a COAL.

Subsonic? What other powders do you have that are slower than H110 and Lil'gun?
    -Thomas Paine
    -Thomas Paine
    loadng ain't happening tonight.
    Powders, not sure what is faster slower whatever . I have h4350, cfe223. Winchester 231. I don't give a rats ass WHAT it is, as long as I can find it.
    I was thinking we could use more of a slower powder, but like for H4350, it only gets up to 12,000psi-- probably not enough pressure for the case to seal in the chamber. I got some large brass cases down in the cave. I may be sending you some .416 Remington Mag ammo on Monday.
    -Thomas Paine
    I got some .375 Ruger basic brass-- basically a .375 case before they bottle neck it-- a Hugh Jass case that may take a .500 bullet in the very end. If it works, it will be the .500 SJS Magnum! I will try to load some up with a heavy load of Trail Boss. You can tell me how they work out.
    -Thomas Paine
    Dude... if you can flair a case just enough to squeeze a bullet in, you are all set. I intended those 180's to be fodder. Jam some in! The big thing is trim length-- that is critical! If you are using the Lee trimmers, get one in .460 S&W and turn it down to fit the .430 SJS.
    -Thomas Paine
    So you are just sizing the case with the bullet?
    No. I used the flair die for a .44 mag. Get close to trim length, flair so it will barely accept a .430 bullet, trim to true length, add powder, and jam a damn bullet in there!

I promise you it will look ugly. Run it through the Lee FCD with the stem taken out. After that, it should chamber.
    -Thomas Paine
    Hornady dies also work.
    -Thomas Paine
    Jermanator wrote: »
    310gr Lee gas check cast 2045fps
    300gr XTP 2081fps
    265gr FTX 2158fps
    265gr FP 2215fps
    240gr XTP 2330fps
    Then I ran some more...
    265gr FTX (seated long) 2216fps
    225gr FTX (seated to crimp) 2339fps
    225gr FTX (seated long) 2455fps
    180gr XTP 2717fps

I got it all on a spreadsheet now along with the loads of H-110 to use. I kept the projected pressures at around 52,000psi. Later, I will do the same with Lil'Gun and possibly others. For now, that is plenty for us to work with.
    -Thomas Paine
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    430%20sjs%20chart_zpswzbzltbq.jpg

The energy made by the heavier loads is pretty consistent. The lighter loads give you more energy, but likely a greater "splat" factor. You are going to need to do some gel tests, in my opinion.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    Thanks!
    -Thomas Paine
    BigDanS wrote: »
    The energy made by the heavier loads is pretty consistent. The lighter loads give you more energy, but likely a greater "splat" factor. You are going to need to do some gel tests, in my opinion.
    The only serious bullets I am considering for hunting are the ones designed for .444 Marlin. That would be the 225 and 265 grain FTX's, the 265 grain flat point, and the cast bullets. Those Hornady bullets were designed to work between 1600 and 2600 feet per second. The others are designed for 44 magnum velocities and should work really well for subsonic and yute loads.
    -Thomas Paine
    I SO WANT to see a yote get splattered with that 180gr XTP @2700. Those are pretty much an ash tray.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,093 Senior Member
    I'd love to see what one of those 310's do at that speed, I have a mold for them, and from the air cooled wheel weights I cast mine from, they expand (NICELY) from my 14" 44 mag contender.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

I figured out estimated loads with Lil'Gun now. Some are better, some worse than with H-110. Other suitable powders with at least some potential look like H4227, Accurate 5744, Accurate 1680, Blue Dot, Alliant 2400, Winchester 296, and Reloader 7.
    -Thomas Paine
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,093 Senior Member
    I'll be honest, part of my preference for Li'l Gun is based on the fact I bought an 8# jug of it when I bought my 'wulf upper :tooth:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.