Got em

MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior MemberPosts: 4,768 Senior Member
DSC00794_zps4mzbpq9n.jpg

DSC00798_zpsl36eij7j.jpg
Wambli Ska wrote: »
Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Replies

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,284 Senior Member
    Damn, where you been....Thats a fine critter you got there:yikes:BP or archery?

Sako
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,335 Senior Member
    Nice! Great job.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,284 Senior Member
    Always amazes me how they fall in the most god forsaken spots. Should be a lot of fun dragging him out of there!!

Sako
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,601 Senior Member
    Congratulations, Dan. That's one fine bull.

Well done!

But, as you know, the job's not over until the paper work is done. Tell the tale, please?
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,737 Senior Member
    Screw the elk! Where you been hiding?!?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,601 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Screw the elk! Where you been hiding?!?

Uh, I really, really, really hope he's not into that.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,737 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Uh, I really, really, really hope he's not into that.

The Supreme Court will say that's ok next. Don't worry.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    I've been lurking now and then, just not posting. I'm 90% consumed with work now finally being in the brewery world. In fact I am waiting on hearing back about a head brewers position at a new place here in Denver.

Tom, he DID fall in a horrible place, 2 ft from those logs was a nice 20x20 open patch. It was muzzle, TC encore, 385gr Hornady Great Plains, 95gr Blackhorn 209.

I had seen a herd the morning before a LOOOOOONG ways away, even out of reach of BP or Ernie's SPs, but couldn't figure out where they crossed from the feeding meadow into the timber. Sunday I had a good idea of where they were going. So I set out, and stopped to rest and snack, decided to blow a few cow calls. I set up my bi-pod just in case and called. Within 30 seconds I heard movement and I saw something coming towards me. Then I saw it was an elk, then a bull, then a LEGAL bull. I set up my shot to where I thought he would clear the trees and he popped out right there. It was about 13 yards. High lung, he went maybe 25 yards and was dead as dirt. He was down before I could even reload.

It was only about 20 minutes walk from my camp. Same place I shot my timberline buck 2 years ago
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    Oh yea, not another hunter for MILES in any direction. I have finally found a spot that is all to myself. The bull was only about 20 minutes walk from camp, too. 2nd time I've hunted this area and I'm 2 for 2.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,122 Senior Member
    DSC00794_zps4mzbpq9n.jpg

DSC00798_zpsl36eij7j.jpg

Dude, your tree fell down next to that elk.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    You should've seen the 4 other trees that fell down next to it I couldn't fit in the picture lol
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,177 Senior Member
    Well done! Nice bull....
    I hate you...kinda sorta....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,073 Senior Member
    That is a fine bull!! Dosen't look like a fun spot to get it out of. My BIL will be out there next month and they all have either/or tags. I haven't tasted elk in years!
    A big CONGRATS!!
    It was a PITA getting the quarters removed (I did the no-gut method) but after that it wasn't too bad. Only about 20 minutes from my tent. Granted that was 2 ridges and a stream between the tent and the kill.

Al its sort of strange, this particular unit is cow or bull, no either tags, but almost every unit around it, including my families historical stomping grounds, area all either or cow only. But its an easy draw unit, my usual unit is 1-2 point bull/either tag, this one I drew with 0 points. Deer was a 50/50 with 0 points, I had a point, still didn't draw. But should be able to next year.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,982 Senior Member
    Very nice
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,246 Senior Member
    Nice bull!
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,379 Senior Member
    Wonderful job, Dan. That's a very nice bull and fantastic work calling him in!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Thanks Six. I may not always shoot one, but I almost always find them. You best be making plans to join the camp soon! I think next year is about time for Chiro to come out west again.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,379 Senior Member
    It may have to happen. Wrestling a bull with a smokepole sounds like a genuine party.

I just went into the system and confirmed my preference point totals:

Elk = 2
    Mule Deer = 3
    Antelope = 3
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Elk is a go. At this point I'd keep banking deer points for a better season/unit.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,945 Senior Member
    Well done Dan :worthy:

My knees have gotten to the point, that I've given up hope of ever hunting Elk
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

knitepoet wrote: »
    Well done Dan :worthy:

My knees have gotten to the point, that I've given up hope of ever hunting Elk

It is not that bad where I go, your lungs matter more then your knees. And your back only matters if you connect ;) Stop thinking about it and apply, you only live once and I'm happy to show another board member elk country
    It is not that bad where I go, your lungs matter more then your knees. And your back only matters if you connect ;) Stop thinking about it and apply, you only live once and I'm happy to show another board member elk country
    I appreciate the offer, but I KNOW how bad my knees are, and have traveled through Colorado enough to know I'd be nothing but a "dead weight" ruining anyone else's hunt
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,006 Senior Member
    I've been lurking now and then, just not posting. I'm 90% consumed with work now finally being in the brewery world. In fact I am waiting on hearing back about a head brewers position at a new place here in Denver.

Tom, he DID fall in a horrible place, 2 ft from those logs was a nice 20x20 open patch. It was muzzle, TC encore, 385gr Hornady Great Plains, 95gr Blackhorn 209.

I had seen a herd the morning before a LOOOOOONG ways away, even out of reach of BP or Ernie's SPs, but couldn't figure out where they crossed from the feeding meadow into the timber. Sunday I had a good idea of where they were going. So I set out, and stopped to rest and snack, decided to blow a few cow calls. I set up my bi-pod just in case and called. Within 30 seconds I heard movement and I saw something coming towards me. Then I saw it was an elk, then a bull, then a LEGAL bull. I set up my shot to where I thought he would clear the trees and he popped out right there. It was about 13 yards. High lung, he went maybe 25 yards and was dead as dirt. He was down before I could even reload.

It was only about 20 minutes walk from my camp. Same place I shot my timberline buck 2 years ago

WOOHOO! That load was the ticket, through and through? Yeah, ONLY a 20 min walk, me , Bud, and JB have been there before, nicely done on a solo hunt, I know you got some help with the heavy lifting, but that was a workout I am sure, hopefully next year I can do some heavy lifting for the cause.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,006 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    I appreciate the offer, but I KNOW how bad my knees are, and have traveled through Colorado enough to know I'd be nothing but a "dead weight" ruining anyone else's hunt

If you can walk a "mile" on the treadmill in the hill pattern setting with a 50# pack on your back, then come on out.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,735 Senior Member
    Well done that man!

If I ever get the chance to hunt elk I am gonna give you a call MHS. Your preparation is what makes you so successful and 2 for 2 is just rewards.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    If you can walk a "mile" on the treadmill in the hill pattern setting with a 50# pack on your back, then come on out.
    Yeah... Not even REMOTELY possible :roll2:

CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    WOOHOO! That load was the ticket, through and through? Yeah, ONLY a 20 min walk, me , Bud, and JB have been there before, nicely done on a solo hunt, I know you got some help with the heavy lifting, but that was a workout I am sure, hopefully next year I can do some heavy lifting for the cause.

lol no seriously, it really was about 20 minutes. A few parts might have been brutal, but they were short.

That was the same load I used last year, works pretty well in that gun. The bullet didn't pass through, nearly though. I couldn't find it but it did break a rib on the offside. Pretty good test of that bullet, basically point blank range. This year I was sighted in about 1.5" low at 100 so give or take an 80 yard zero. I still have to try out the new Federal bullets in the Encore. I bought Steve's Triumph a little while back (the gun my cousin used last year) and had decent results with the new bullets too. I'm going to hit the range more to get both guns really dialed in. Really want to get the Triumph shooting well, its at least a pound lighter. I did upgrade the Encore this year with a globe sight and super fine cross hairs.

Workout for sure, I am STILL a bit sore. I took a front quarter and the neck/straps the first day, then my buddy showed up and we got the other front, rears and head the next morning. Quarters ended up weighing in a 155lbs, so I figure that bull was probably around 500lbs live weight.
    orchidman wrote: »
    Well done that man!

If I ever get the chance to hunt elk I am gonna give you a call MHS. Your preparation is what makes you so successful and 2 for 2 is just rewards.

Anytime! I may not always shoot one, but I almost always at least FIND them, sometimes it just takes a few days haha. I've now hunted elk in 5 out of our 7 seasons, they always seem to be somewhere slightly different
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,726 Senior Member
    CONGRATULATIONS!!

It has been many years since I shot my one and only Elk and it was nowhere near as nice as yours. You can be proud of that one!
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5