Got em

2»

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,727 Senior Member
    Wow, I am really surprised that high plains 385gr bullet did not pass through at that range, those elk are tough.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    YOU SUCK - BIG TIME IN MY BOOK!!!! One day I will go hunt those awesome animals. CONGRATS - I ENVY YOU BIG TIME!!!
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Wow, I am really surprised that high plains 385gr bullet did not pass through at that range, those elk are tough.

Even though its solid lead, it IS a hollow point. I think if the shot had been a bit further out, it would have passed through. Most guys who use that bullet for elk run it slower so it doesn't over expand. Hopefully the new Fed bullets can work out in 1 or both of the guns, I'd really like to see what they will do to an elk next year. They have antimony in them and they're supposed to be pretty tough. They also came out with an all copper 270gr, but they are pretty much impossible to find. Might be one to keep an eye out for to load up the kiddo's with. Also going to give Thor bullets a try, they're custom made Barnes bullets, 250 and 300. The company sends you a sizing pack and you pick the exact size that works in your barrel, then order that specific size. Knowing what a TSX will do to an animal, I really want to try those too
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,226 Senior Member
    Elk is a go. At this point I'd keep banking deer points for a better season/unit.

I'll do exactly that. At 3 points, it would be a shame to waste them on an easy-to-draw unit when - what, 7 points(?) - will get you a good unit.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,482 Senior Member
    20 minutes, huh? That does it. You really do suck!
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    20 minutes, huh? That does it. You really do suck!

So your coming with next year?:popcorn:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    So your coming with next year?:popcorn:

Only if I can get a cow tag. I've had my share of hauling out big bulls. It only takes one. :jester:
    Jerry

Only if I can get a cow tag. I've had my share of hauling out big bulls. It only takes one. :jester:

I should have a couple teenage boys with if I go, you can supervise and carry guns.
    I should have a couple teenage boys with if I go, you can supervise and carry guns.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Now you've given me something to really consider.
    Jerry

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Now you've given me something to really consider.

I am assuming Linefinder can help you carry guns, maybe Mosseybuck:that:
    If ya'll are willing to tent it up for a few days we can make this happen. There are well over a dozen camps right next to each other in this unit, all with fire rings and easy access. Me and my new partner were talking about going in on some canvas wall tents if we get several people a year interested.
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    If ya'll are willing to tent it up for a few days we can make this happen. There are well over a dozen camps right next to each other in this unit, all with fire rings and easy access. Me and my new partner were talking about going in on some canvas wall tents if we get several people a year interested.

I suppose I should have talked to you before inviting 1/2 of CO to your elk/mule deer hidey hole, sorry about that.
    based on the last forum hunt, only 10% will show anyways lol
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,597 Senior Member
    Wow, color me green. Nice hunt ,congrats on your animal.

I have a couple of tents and quite a bit of camping gear. No canvas, but the larger of the two is 10x16, and could sleep quite a few if you don't mind being packed in. I also have 30x50 ft. tarp that I usually drape over it in case it snows or rains.

GMUs 24/25 offers some pretty good late season elk hunting. That's where Mike shot his trophy bull elk. I missed a bull, and also have taken a decent buck from that area. The road we took driving in is so bad it took an hour to go 5-6 miles running in 4 wheel drive, though. Coming out, it was snowing and I had to run in 4 wheel and chain up.

Seems like lots of guys camp low and use their 4-wheelers to get up high. Also, there's an outfitter who has a big camp up there, and some of his guides really take a dim view of "public hunters". I was equally adept at offending them as they were at offending me, so that part didn't really bother me. If you're interested, check out the road going south from Basalt (on I70 west of Eagle) along the Colorado River. Find a wide spot in the road named Burns (it has a post office, or did), and turn left (west). That's where the fun starts. Just food for thought.

I can't speak for Mike or Paul.
    Jerry

• HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,685 Senior Member
    Nicely done, congratulations. Keep yer powder dry...........robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
    Jerry I did kind of the opposite, I camped high and worked level and had plans to work down from camp. Its real nice not having other hunters around, for some people though this camp may not be as nice for not having oxygen haha. Although it might be a bit of a limited area for more then 2-3 people without having to do some real footwork into the other drainage's. Not sure what this area is like for rifle seasons, I have only been up now in Sept. I imagine the snow hits pretty early, its right on the Divide.

I bought a 9 man tent for this hunt, would easily fit 3 cots + gear for those 3 guys. Roads a bit rough on the way up too, not all the way, but there are some nasty patches.

Also found some GREAT areas for early season hunting in my regular unit (551) last year that had some camping spots that were real convenient. At least I know there the snow doesn't USUALLY move in until 3rd. But it gets crowded in rifle seasons.
    Jerry I did kind of the opposite, I camped high and worked level and had plans to work down from camp. Its real nice not having other hunters around, for some people though this camp may not be as nice for not having oxygen haha. Although it might be a bit of a limited area for more then 2-3 people without having to do some real footwork into the other drainage's. Not sure what this area is like for rifle seasons, I have only been up now in Sept. I imagine the snow hits pretty early, its right on the Divide.

I bought a 9 man tent for this hunt, would easily fit 3 cots + gear for those 3 guys. Roads a bit rough on the way up too, not all the way, but there are some nasty patches.

Also found some GREAT areas for early season hunting in my regular unit (551) last year that had some camping spots that were real convenient. At least I know there the snow doesn't USUALLY move in until 3rd. But it gets crowded in rifle seasons.

Dan, all three times I've hunted GMUs 24/25 I've tent camped in the same spot, which is about a mile from the end of the road, and high. It's others who use 4 wheelers that usually camp low. They also tend to just ride their vehicles all day long and not get out and about on foot.

This area is part of the Flat Tops, which is supposed to have the biggest elk herd in the state. I know others who have hunted different areas in the Flat Tops and have done well.

I'm not trying to hijack your thread, but just wanted to offer another option if we ever do another forum hunt.
    Jerry

• bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,465 Senior Member
    That is a flippin' sweet bull. You suck!
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    The Supreme Court will say that's ok next. Don't worry.

Only if the elk's alive. If you screw a dead one it will piss off the bunny huggers and we can't have that.

Oh and yeah, beautiful Elk there Dan.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
2»