What game would you travel to hunt?

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 18,845 Senior Member
With my knees (plus my size and age) now limiting my hiking abilities (Still walk where I need to go, but can't do a lot of walking/standing at one time)
Elk, which I lusted after as a young man, are out. Along with pretty much ANY hunt that involves more than a mile of so of hiking

I THINK I can still make it for an ante-goat hunt since they're not quite as physically demanding (from everything I've heard/read). SO one year soon, I HOPE to go "out west" (Wyo is my goal) and go antelope hunting with my XP-100
I've HAVE traveled to hunt Hogs (0) and Axis Deer (3) to Tx (2 different trips) but that's all he traveling hunting I have done

SO what game would you like to hunt badly enough to travel to where they are?
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,612 Senior Member
    I still enjoy the occasional antelope and muley hunt. Dreams of Alaska and Canada probably won't ever happen. But, anywhere in the lower 48 is possible.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,346 Senior Member
    I'll travel for just about any game animal I find interesting enough to pursue, provided that the abundance of said critter is worth the effort.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,927 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Speed goats. I'd LOVE to hunt them. That probably the only one I'd travel for. I'd for sure travel for them over any other animal if I had a choice. I'm not real interested in elk. Not like goats anyway. The idea of seeing one waaaaaayyyyy out yonder and putting the sneak on it is very appealing. My deer hunting is better described as deer surprising, I just sit and wait. . Ain't no seeing deer here and sneaking on them.
    I wouldn't do it in Colorado though, their rules are stupid and hard to understand, (blah blah blah, you get used it etc etc.) and they can kiss my butt regarding their stupid assault weapon ban.

Some of the best fun I have had with my clothes on in a long time was hunting with MHS, good chow, GREAT beer, plenty of awesome scenery, we will hold your hand as long as you can keep up. There is the Coloradans that pass assault weapons ban and there is the rest of the state, the rest of the state elk hunts.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Some of the best fun I have had with my clothes on in a long time was hunting with MHS, good chow, GREAT beer, plenty of awesome scenery, we will hold your hand as long as you can keep up. There is the Coloradans that pass assault weapons ban and there is the rest of the state, the rest of the state elk hunts.

Deer. I've traveled over 300 miles to hunt them. And it goes on from there, Prong Horn, Elk, Moose, you name it. Hey I would even travel a ways across this state to shoot a hog. But elk is my all time goal if I have to go on a gurney. I think I'd almost rather shoot a good elk almost than hunt in Africa. Almost!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,927 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    You can hand hold all you want. It's never gonna happen. At least not there. And really nowhere else for that matter. They don't call to me like speed goats. Don't know why, but they don't. Same reason I couldn't care less about going to Africa. If given a free trip, and had the choice between africa and somewhere other than Colorado to hunt speed goats, I'd choose the goats.

I want to hunt pronghorns also, just have to fill that tag first:cool2:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,728 Senior Member
    If someone else was paying for it, almost anything/ anywhere.

If I'm paying for it- Whitetail deer and pigs :) But I would like to take an elk. That was some good eating. Maybe bear, but I have no idea how that tastes.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,521 Senior Member
    Dall Rams in the Wrangell Mts. but due to old age that's not gonna happen.

Realistically one more trip to S.D. to hunt PD, lots of great shooting, not to much walking, and great people.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,803 Senior Member
    Everything...

In Miami can legally hunt iguanas, and invasive species.

Otherwise I have to go at least 50 miles to any decent hunting.

Hunts I want to do? Prairie dogs, deer, turkey, pheasant, any good bird hunting. In my fantasy I get to hunt Argentina for doves....

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,213 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Maybe bear, but I have no idea how that tastes.
    Last night, I found out that they are yummy.

Speed goat and moose are on my agenda. Moose-- doesn't have to be some huge elaborate thing. There is good and reasonably inexpensive moose hunting in Ontario, not far from me. Doesn't have to be a bull. I would be happy with a cow/calf tag.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,551 Senior Member
    I've always wanted to go after barren ground caribou in eastern Canada. I would also be amenable to try a little fishing while there. Other than that, I don't think I'm up for a long road trip.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,731 Senior Member
    Everything. I am a game whore...............
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,055 Senior Member
    My traveling days are dwindling....I'd like to go after speed goats, just once....I'd like to kill one more elk...
    and if we venture into dream land, I'd like to go to New Zealand for Red Stag and Brown Trout...for that I would violate my "I don't fly anymore" rule...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,529 Senior Member
    Pigs, with the flintlock. Tentatively planning this for next fall. Any suggestions?

I would like to try speed goats to.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • N320AWN320AW Senior Member Posts: 648 Senior Member
    A trip to Africa to shoot a Cape Buffalo. Unfortunately I cannot spend $10,000 to do that.
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 710 Senior Member
    Mountain lions and black bear are high on the list, buffalo and other feral animals in the NT of Australia, and I would love to spend some time hunting squirrels, groundhogs, raccoons, armadillos and prairie dogs, I love small game hunting.

Calling in coyotes ranks high also, that and some quail and jackrabbit shooting in the high desert of the South-West with one of my 16's or my 20 gauge and a few different calibre handguns, no matter what I look at travel wise I just can't get that high desert sparseness and light out of my head, it is an amazing landscape.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,688 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Hunts I want to do? Prairie dogs, deer, turkey, pheasant, any good bird hunting. In my fantasy I get to hunt Argentina for doves....

Dan, take the trip to Argentina. I went a couple of years ago and it is fantastic, I killed 300 doves in a week, (I won't say how many times I shot). The food is world class, as is the service. We hunted a private ranch near Cordoba. The worst part is the trip, 13 hours from Atlanta to Santiago Chili, then another 2 hours across the Andes mountains to Cordoba. There were no direct flights from Melbourne or Orlando. Don't forget that they are in the Southern hemisphere so if it is summer here it will be winter there. robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    nothing
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • christiechristie Member Posts: 71 Member
    Caribou. In a heartbeat.
    "I couldn't be more proud and humbled by the experience"- said by a successful someone
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    Made a trip to South Dakota to pheasant hunt a few years back and hope to make it back soon, that was FUN! My ultimate hunt is for ELK in some way shape and form, don't really care where, just want to do it sometime in my life. Shot one Antelope in KS a few years back and have to say that was the smelliest critter I have every come across. (but I would hunt them again if the opportunity presented itself)
    Pigs, with the flintlock. Tentatively planning this for next fall. Any suggestions?

I would like to try speed goats to.

Come with us on our next fall pig hunt in Florida. No license needed, any weapon OK... This year's two day hunt, including meals, skinning, one pig and shared lodging, $350. There will be twelve of us staying in two, three bedroom homes on the property. We will also have a .22 match, and fishing for bass on the peace river.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,529 Senior Member
    How much for two pigs?
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    How much for two pigs?

It's $150 per pig, a $25 skinning cleaning and quartering / bagging fee and we give an additional $25 tip for the guide, so about $200 each.

D
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,651 Senior Member
    I traveled 500 miles for dove, but I knew they were going to be there and all I had to do was hit them. I'll do the same for blue quail, in December, if it doesn't conflict with family holiday events.

I would probably travel for antelope, mule deer, or elk, under certain circumstances.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,551 Senior Member
    I see elk and pronghorn antelope on a lot of folks' wish list. I'm very fortunate to live in an area close to each species. I don't recall ever travelling more than 100 miles to hunt speed goats. I can get up at 2 a.m., and be in my hunting area before first light.

The last elk (as well as mule deer) I took was about 10-12 miles from my house. That elk is the one in my avatar.

There's no shortage of prairie dogs nearby, and I have the upper Arkansas River within a few miles, and it has a healthy population of brown trout (a few rainbows as well).

I guess this all goes to say I'm very fortunate to live where I do. I'm not always successful in taking game or catching fish, but I've certainly become spoiled.

Good luck to all who have those dream hunts. I hope you all get to make it/them one of these days.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    Just about anything, anywhere. Well anything I can't hunt here, at least. Caribou would be SWEET, maybe some various exotics in TX, particularly auodad. Namibia for plains game, especially eland!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.